Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: ORWELL'S "1984 " IS ALIVE AND WELL

Message 1 of 7

@phyllisc6781 wrote:

@schlomo— How utterly false and nonsensical. How utterly trump. False statements made by ignorant people, supported by those equally as ignorant, and received with both amusement and shock by those who deal with the truth about global warming. This administration continues to prove itself beyond ridiculous as it makes such asinine statements, seemingly oblivious to the facts.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Gee, cat, I get the feeling you still do not like President Trump.

scout stated a case for nuclear and fish asked how we can overnight replace 30% of out energy. These are good points and - on topic, mere hatred for the President  isn't.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 7
Does anyone have a idea how to replace 30% of our electrical consumption tomorrow? of course you don't, 'cause there isn't one.

There is no tomorrow plan, but there is a 25 year plan. Coal is part of that plan.

"The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile "
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 7

Orwell understood the implications of what authoritarianism was doing and what society would become if it were successful.  I'm not sure Orwell thought a population would be wilfully complicit in destroying their own freedom.  

But then....he may have been telling us that dictators can't acquire the power to do what they do without having enough people with the same mind-set propping them up so they eventually CAN ENFORCE  'acceptable behavior' by force.  He may have been warning us all there is a process that has to occur for that to happen.....and in one way or another we're all part of that process. 

Seems to me we see evidence for his warning being right on the money, right here, everyday, on this very forum.  People can be excused for being dupes only so much.  At some point, you simply have to see that they go along with someone like 'the donald' because they are what he is.  That's not a compliment. 

"Eternal vigilance is not only the price of liberty, eternal vigilance is the price of decency." So said Aldous Huxley.  The first part of that phrase may predate Huxley.  As far as I know he is the first to say it 'that way'.  Both he and Orwell seem to have got it 'right'.  My opinion, of course.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 7

@schlomo— How utterly false and nonsensical. How utterly trump. False statements made by ignorant people, supported by those equally as ignorant, and received with both amusement and shock by those who deal with the truth about global warming. This administration continues to prove itself beyond ridiculous as it makes such asinine statements, seemingly oblivious to the facts.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 7

Coal is no more necessary than scabbies, and a whole lot more destructive to our health. Per FORBES, coal kills 13,000 Americans every year, while the death toll from Nuclear is ZERO from its inception back in the 1950's to the present. We've known EXACTLY how to build a 100% fail-safe nuclear reactor since 1984 - the only reason you may not know that is the test where they shut off ALL the cooling systems and waited until the reactor shut itself down, then re-started it without incident happened the same day as Chernobyl, which by the way only killed 15 people and the other two reactors in the complex continued to operate without incident until 1999. Also, we already have enough nuclear fuel from our decommissioned Nukes to power the replacement reactors needed to close down all the coal plants for 20 years.

Only the blind or politically motivated to support tRump would support coal as anything but a power source to be eliminated as soon as humanily possible, not something we should even consider remaining part of our electric capacity.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 7
While on the surface it seems absurd... and I will agree that burning coal is the almost the dirtiest fuel, one must also look at the amount of energy during from birth to use... is consumed.

No one believes coal is the "future"... no one, did I say no one? but the truth is coal is "easy" (consumes less energy) to get to market.

When we look across the entire spectrum of energy used, to produce a kilowatt of electricity, the sum totals are surprising.

Coal is our most strategic fuel and we still use coal for 30% of our electric power to charge your Prius.

Coal will allow us to move to solar and wind which is the future. However we will always need base loading and rolling-hot-cold reserve capacity (15-20%). Nuclear is good for base, NG for peaking, coal as backup.

"The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile "
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

ORWELL'S "1984 " IS ALIVE AND WELL

Message 7 of 7

The Trump administration continues to boggle the mind. At the UN climate change conference, the US delegation has proclaimed that burning more coal will reduce global warming. How fatuous and false! How utterly Doublespeak.

schlomo
Kudos
Views
Replies