Join the Town Hall on Turning Your Passion into Profit at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: ONCE AGAIN, TEXAS VIOLATES THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION

Message 11 of 30

Tx- are we really arguing about who finds what humorous, when your state is declaring war on people eith whom  your leaders disagree?

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 30

pc6063 wrote:

Mavolta- it's really sad how often people will vote against their own -self interests, and then attack those who are trying to keep those interests intact. 

--

Have to wonder how sad it is from other states to be making comments on another state.  All the while having debatable self-interests themselves.  Wonder if those making these comments have considered moving to Texas, registering to vote, and then putting their votes where the comments are at?

Message 13 of 30

pc6063 wrote:

right that's not a Texan accent we know that.  I'm glad that you and your fellow Texans could see the humor in that,  as,at least for me, that's how it was intended! 

On the other hand what is happening in your state is horrible!  I can't imagine that you or anyone else really could be happy with some of the legislation that's coming out of Texas.  I guess all Texans should remember that next time they go to the ballot box.

--

I don't recall that anyone has found any humor in what has been posted about supposed accents.  So should we find humor in the mid-western or the New York accents?  Or as I posted some Appalachian accents still used in parts.  Where is the humor about that?  Is it proper to make light of other's speech?

As far as legislation in Texas, I would think that it's our concern and not those of other states.  A good part of the legislation here is overturned, much like similar types in other states.  Take North Carolina's bathroom laws which cost the state millions. 

I would guess the majority of Texans are more interested in jobs and the state's economy instead of social engineering.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 30

Mavolta- it's really sad how often people will vote against their own -self interests, and then attack those who are trying to keep those interests intact. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 30

afisher wrote:

Back on Texas and the latest ruling.    Republicans are dragging their feet about this for the obvious reason, aka 2018 election cycle.    But the bigger issue is that all of these rulings will mandate that they will no longer be able to claim "state rights" when it comes to elections.   And that folks will allow the Dems to take over the running of the State.

I'm afraid that we are some years away from seeing D's take over the state. We may see a few more elected from urban districts, but we still have many gerrymandered districts, such as the one where I live. I do believe we could see a trend toward more moderate R's getting elected to state office, and perhaps rid ourselves of these radical right people.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 30

@pc6063 - For YEARS, many Texans have voted against their own interests for two reasons: guns & abortion. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 30

Tx- right that's not a Texan accent we know that.  I'm glad that you and your fellow Texans could see the humor in that,  as,at least for me, that's how it was intended! 

On the other hand what is happening in your state is horrible!  I can't imagine that you or anyone else really could be happy with some of the legislation that's coming out of Texas.  I guess all Texans should remember that next time they go to the ballot box.

Message 18 of 30

MaVolta wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 - As you probably have noticed, many of us native Texans have little, if any of the old Texas drawl. Years ago, I traveled in the mid-west and no one knew that I was from Texas until I told them.

--

Never heard anything said about accents or Texas drawl, unless I emphasized it.  But for years I could emulate a good Appalachian accent, like 'you'uns', 'usn's', 'over thar', etc.  Of course many forget that other parts of the country has different accents also, just as strange and could be made fun of also. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 30

Back on Texas and the latest ruling.    Republicans are dragging their feet about this for the obvious reason, aka 2018 election cycle.    But the bigger issue is that all of these rulings will mandate that they will no longer be able to claim "state rights" when it comes to elections.   And that folks will allow the Dems to take over the running of the State.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 30

@TxGrandpa2 - As you probably have noticed, many of us native Texans have little, if any of the old Texas drawl. Years ago, I traveled in the mid-west and no one knew that I was from Texas until I told them.