Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Note to Seniors from Dems

Message 41 of 68

I had a relative (by marriage) whose parents owned several houses at one time. His parents sold their houses, put the money in the bank and had a nice nest-egg when they retired. The father died so the wife got the nest-egg. She had only one child, a son, so we expected the son would inherit the nest-egg.

One day we noticed that his mother would forget things - keys, pocket book, and the like. As time went by it became obvious what was happening. She was dignosed with Alzheimer's disease.

The son hired a friend of the family, a retired woman, to look after his mom. She lived in the house, free room and board, and was paid monthly for taking care of his mom.

I guess it was about a year later, the woman found it very difficult trying to look after his mother. His mother would turn on the heat in the middle of summer. At the supermarket she would dump all her things from her pocketbook on the check-out counter, leave her items there, then walk away.

The retired woman he hired said that it was too difficult for her to take care of his mother, so the son put his mother in a nursing home. His mother stayed in the nursing until the nest egg ran out, and she died. The son inherited nothing.

Case #2 - Decades later, as old age began to set in, my mother spent or gave away most of her savings so she would be eligible for Medicaid, just in case she became so ill that she wouldn't be able to take care of herself. So, my mother became poor (on paper). It turned out to be a wise move.

Eventually my mother had to move into assisted living. It was a nice place, right across from the hospital. One day she became very ill, and she was moved across the street to the hospital and died a couple of weeks later.

7 0f 10 people over 65 will need long term care at some point.

Because the U.S. doesn't have "Medicare for All" with long term care protection, it's important for people to "game the system" so not to lose their savings, and at the same time be eligible for government assistance (Medicaid).

Why not just put Medicare, Medicaid, Long Term care, etc., under the same umbrella -- "Medicare for All".

How to "game the system"....

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 68

@GailL1 wrote:

@MaVolta 

So how much will providers be paid?  Current Medicare rate - docs will be dropping like flies - even the new "public option" initiated by Governor and Presidential hopeful Islee in Washington state recognized that doctors will not accept more at the Medicare rate.  Therefor they are paying docs in that public option 160% of Medicare rates -

Mental health providers really aren't in any system too much especially Psychiatrist - really doubt they are gonna accept Medicare rates.

Gonna have a deductible?  co-pays?  Still 80/20 ?  Beneficiaries responsible for the 20%?

And remember Medicare has NO maxiumum out of pocket - not by year and not by lifetime.

Will there be supplimental (Gap insurance)?

Until something seems to be getting pass "GO" - why even discuss it - Any finanacial analysis?

Is there a mandate that people have coverage of some type?  What/ How much/ what are the exceptions?

Anybody can write a health care coverage proposal and make it sound great - but it is the actual meat that matters.

The details of the bill are on the House website. You know where to find it.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 68

@Olderscout66 

Then don't you think that it is time to figure out why we are paying more and not reaping the health awards as you and others keep saying about other countries.

How much do you think Long Term Care should cost in whatever environment it is given?

Here's your chance to put that "living wage" to task -

We have a person needing dailing living or custodial care for 24/7 or maybe a few hours a day/week  for an extended period of time in their life - this care comes from another.

Some of them are trained, others not so much.

How much should they be paid?

Who covers stuff like background checks, criminal records, E-Verify, workmans comp insurance, liability insurance in case they screw up or take something of value?

You keep talking about administrative cost - well, private industry has a lots more that they have to do and pay for than government. 

However, if government wants to get into the business of healthcare or LTC - they better understand all the cost and it is not just the care cost.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 68

@gordyfl wrote:
Gail1 wrote:

Long Term Care IS NOT healthcare - it is ONLY custodial care or personal care done in an array of different environments depending upon the amount or level of this type of care.  That's why Medicare doesn't pay for it because it is NOT medical care.

Long-term care (LTC) is a variety of services which help meet both the medical and non-medical needs of people with a chronic illness or disability who cannot care for themselves for long periods. ... Long-term care can be provided at home, in the community, in assisted living facilities or in nursing homes.

What medical care does a caregiver or a personal care aide provide????  They aren't trained for any medical care and many are untrained, even minimally.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 68

@gordyfl 

I am sure that Bernie and the others have an answer for everything -

but let me just give a few examples:

A couple who has great coverage through their employer failed to add vision coverage for their children since they are both relatively young - it wasn't that expensive but they just thought it wasn't needed.  You know how that goes -   But low and behold, the (4) year old has been diagnosed near-sighted.  I know how she feels since I started wearing glasses for the same reason very young - I even remember the wonder of seeing clearly when I 1st got my glasses.  So, yes it is a big deal for a kid.

Anyway, now they are having to wait for the insurance to kick in - WHAT ! !  Pay for the kid's glasses.

This is just an example of how people think - 

The next example has to do with this LTC coverage which I touched on earlier.  I work with a group of caregivers that established their own company.  They provide superior caregiving.  They take on clients, many of which need 24/7 care - now mind you this is daily care.  The caregivers get paid an average of about $ 16 - 18 an hour - depending upon the type of care that is needed, the time of day they work.  The agency makes about $2-$3 dollars of this as their premium to keep the company going - Now let's do the math:

$ 18 per hour X 24 hours in a day = $ 432.00 per day

X 7 days a week = $ 3024.00 per week

X 52 weeks in a year = $ 157,248.00 just for LTC

and this does not include residence since these specific folks needing this care are in their own home.

In Medicaid right now, states are beginning to use this HCBC (Home and Community Based Care) - it is good because it does keep people out of nursing homes or as long as possible - reducing cost.

However some of these states just pay the Medicaid beneficiary an amount to hire their own caregiver - trained or not, family or not -

The problem here is what happens when the caregiver might get injured on the job?  I really doubt that many of these Medicaid beneficiaries have liability insurance or enough that might cover a severe injury to the caregiver.  I doubt if these Medicaid beneficiaries are paying for workmans comp.  The reason I say this is to show just one example of why administration cost may be lower for government - private enterprise cannot go without coverage to protect from the WHAT IF's.

Every other industrialized country has a health care system that has a cost containment component.

Every other industrialized country is smaller than ours in population and in geographical area - this is important because of medical infrastructure.  They make sure they have enough all over - ours is concentrated only in certain areas.

Every other industrialized country only covers the care or medicine that is proven to be the BEST FOR THE COST.  They measure each, against others, if there are others.

Which other industrialized country has an "orphan drug" program - that is to develop medicines and treatments for a rare disease.

Yea, I have a lot of questions about Bernie's plan for Medicare for All.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 68

@JANMB 

I will listen/read to any and all of them but I haven't hear any truth or much dollar talk coming out yet.  Truth meaning that we will have to find ways to maintain cost.

That is what many Americans will not like - Providers might not like some of them too.

To negotiate anything means that you are wanting the best at the least possible cost and some of our care, treatments and meds that are allowed to be covered now are not even in the running.

Plus we do not want to pay for unneeded - medically unnecessary care - so somebody has to make the call of what is paid for, when and how much.

If you don't think other countries do this - you need to do some investigations into their various systems. 

Medicare Advantage plans are only a "managed care" part of Medicare, i.e. a system of healthcare in which patients agree to visit only certain doctors and hospitals, and in which the cost of treatment is monitored by a managing company.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 68

@MaVolta 

So how much will providers be paid?  Current Medicare rate - docs will be dropping like flies - even the new "public option" initiated by Governor and Presidential hopeful Islee in Washington state recognized that doctors will not accept more at the Medicare rate.  Therefor they are paying docs in that public option 160% of Medicare rates -

Mental health providers really aren't in any system too much especially Psychiatrist - really doubt they are gonna accept Medicare rates.

Gonna have a deductible?  co-pays?  Still 80/20 ?  Beneficiaries responsible for the 20%?

And remember Medicare has NO maxiumum out of pocket - not by year and not by lifetime.

Will there be supplimental (Gap insurance)?

Until something seems to be getting pass "GO" - why even discuss it - Any finanacial analysis?

Is there a mandate that people have coverage of some type?  What/ How much/ what are the exceptions?

Anybody can write a health care coverage proposal and make it sound great - but it is the actual meat that matters.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 68

@gordyfl wrote:

Long Term Care IS NOT healthcare - it is ONLY custodial care or personal care done in an array of different environments depending upon the amount or level of this type of care.  That's why Medicare doesn't pay for it because it is NOT medical care.

Long-term care (LTC) is a variety of services which help meet both the medical and non-medical needs of people with a chronic illness or disability who cannot care for themselves for long periods. ... Long-term care can be provided at home, in the community, in assisted living facilities or in nursing homes.

For decades GOPers have blocked all attempts to improve our health care system and still are pledged to repeal PPACA with no replacement being considered.

We pay TWICE as much as any other citizen of a Democracy for our care, yet that care ranks 37th, behind such Economic Powerhouses as Greece, Morocco and Cyprus.

We ALREADY pay more than enough to provide every American with qualaity long term care, but Republicans demand we make the managers of our health care insanily rich instead of demanding they give us value received for our hard earned money. The per capita cost of Health Care in America is $10,207 for 37th best results. The cost for every German is $5,728 for the 24th best outcomes. We are shelling out AT LEAST $4,479 EVERY YEAR and that will buy all the long term care you could imagine when you're old and need it.

Want to get the quality of health care our money would buy in any other modern democratic State?

GET RID OF THE REPUBLICANS AND DEMAND WE GET WHAT WE PAID FOR!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 68

It’s Time for Democrats to Get Their Facts Right on Medicare-for-all

by Pramila Jayapal - Sponsor of the Medicare for All Bill in the House of Representatives which 110 Democrats have signed on.

It is clear that Medicare-for-all has become a defining issue of the 2020 election.

Earlier this year, when I introduced our comprehensive, 120-page “Medicare for All Act of 2019,” I expected attacks from big pharma and for-profit insurance companies.

But I did not expect misrepresentations from Democratic presidential candidates about what the bill is and is not.

Let’s be clear about the scale of this crisis. The United States currently spends an astronomical $3.6 trillion per year on health care — almost double what peer countries spend — and it is set to increase within 10 years to $6 trillion annually. Pharmaceuticals such as basic insulin cost up to 10 times less in Canada for the exact same drugs. Approximately 500,000 Americans turn to bankruptcy each year because they cannot afford medical costs—and that includes people with insurance.

With so much at stake, facts matter. So let’s get them right.

• First, it is a myth that Americans love private insurance.
  • Second, it’s wrong to assert that taxes will rise without talking about what health care currently costs Americans in premiums, co-pays and deductibles.
  • Third, it is simply false that labor unions don’t want Medicare-for-all.
  • Fourth, comparisons of Medicare-for-all to the GOP’s push to “repeal and replace” the Affordable Care Act are simply unfounded. Republicans are the only ones trying to take away health care. We can strengthen the ACA and work toward Medicare-for-all at the same time. Even former president Barack Obama agrees.
  • Fifth, we simply cannot expect to bring down the costs of health care in the United States without taking on the for-profit insurance and pharmaceutical corporations, which are raking in billions of dollars at the cost of American lives.

Finally, Democratic candidates should stop using one-liners from industry front groups and Republican playbooks—such as “Medicare-for-all would shutter hospitals," or telling seniors that “Medicare goes away as you know it. All the Medicare you have is gone.” These claims—amplified by contributions from the private health-care industry—are designed to incite fear and sow confusion.

As the debates continue, I hope that my fellow Democrats will take a good look at our bill and get the facts right.

The Medicare-for-all movement has overwhelming public support, unprecedented grass-roots organization, and a serious plan that is ready to change our health-care system right now.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019/08/02/its-time-democrats-get-their-facts-right-medicare-all

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 68

The ONLY group benefitting from Republican tax scams is the Uberrich.

For everyone else, their income is being redistributed to the richest 1%, and along with income goes their wealth - Home ownership is lower now than it was in 1960, and in 1970, 38% of workers participated in a defined benefits pension plan while today after 35 years of the Reagan Taxscam, fewer than 12% have such plans. In 1964, the average worker SAVED 10% of their pay,AND had very generous employer pension plans. Now the savings figure is 2%, only 1 in 8 has a defined benefits pension and the bottom 40% of workers are borrowing more every year instead of being able to save.

GOPerBots will tell you all that is because workers became lazy and ignorant while bosses became hard working geniuses and if a person will never be able to retire, ITS THEIR FAULT.

If you vote for any Republican, the GOPerBots will be proven correct in their assessment of your mental capabilities, and your children's inability to ever retire will be ALL YOUR FAULT.

Kudos
Views