Esteemed Social Butterfly

No Paper Cups At The Super Bowl

Kudos to the NFL and the Hard Rock Stadium for being socially conscious and stepping up on one of America's biggest stages!

Super Bowl: Miami stadium replaces plastic cups with aluminium

This year's Super Bowl championship is aiming to reduce plastic use by introducing aluminium cups for American football fans attending the event.

The 54th Super Bowl final takes place at Miami's Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday.

The San Francisco 49ers will take on the Kansas City Chiefs in the sport's biggest event of the year.

In addition, any food prepared at the stadium that has not been sold will be donated to local charities that feed people in need.

The Hard Rock Stadium will replace its plastic cups with 50,000 aluminium ones that are easier to recycle. Fans will also be able to purchase water in cans instead of plastic bottles.

The initiative will continue at the stadium after the Super Bowl.

Hard Rock Stadium is aiming to eliminate 99.4% of its single-use plastic this year - including more than 500,000 cups eliminated from the stadium's supply chain.

John A Hayes, chairman of Ball, the company behind the aluminium cups, said: "We developed the aluminium cup to ensure it meets growing demand for more green products, and we're excited that our partnership will give this year's Super Bowl fans the opportunity to do better by the environment."

Aside from the cups, any waste from the day will go to a recycling centre, compost facility or a plant where it will be burned for energy, US magazine National Geographic reported.

According to Centerplate, the stadium's food and beverage partner, there will be a small amount of plastic used for souvenir items such as an ice cream container in the shape of a mini football helmet.

The NFL is also partnering with a food waste charity to ensure leftover food from the stadium and other Super Bowl events in the city is donated to local shelters and homeless centres.

Source: BBC

Honored Social Butterfly

This is awesome. Although I hate the the taste of drinks in cans, lol, and I guess this would be similar.

I wish they'd let people bring their own water bottles. But I get why that would be unfeasible.

I'm impressed, though. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Good for steps in the right direction. Recycle, green energy, stop littering the environment with trash. Clean air, clean water, and a healthy Earth should be our goals. We can all play a part!

Honored Social Butterfly

I recycle paper cups - don't the libs?

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Unfortunately, most paper cups for drinks and coffee are lined with polyethylene to make them waterproof which makes them unrecyclable. 

But not just libs, I do know some conservatives who know that all paper cups are not created equal and most are not recyclable.

However, what is impressive is that ALL waste from the SB will go to a "recycling centre, compost facility or a plant where it will be burned for energy".

Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Unfortunately, most paper cups for drinks and coffee are lined with polyethylene to make them waterproof which makes them unrecyclable. 

But not just libs, I do know some conservatives who know that all paper cups are not created equal and most are not recyclable.

However, what is impressive is that ALL waste from the SB will go to a "recycling centre, compost facility or a plant where it will be burned for energy".

I have a paper cup dispenser in the guest bathroom and I "thought" they were recyclable?  Thank you for the info.  I will dispense them in the trash from now on!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Unfortunately, most paper cups for drinks and coffee are lined with polyethylene to make them waterproof which makes them non-recyclable. 

Debunked a sarcastic claim, congratulations!  Don't expect tRump supporters to know enough about recycling to be able to fool anyone.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I don't know anyone who uses paper cups. We bring our own everywhere.

But good for you. Truly. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Go green !!!!!!

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png