Esteemed Social Butterfly

No More Aunt Jemima Pancakes

"The Aunt Jemima brand, which has graced syrup and other products for more than 130 years, is being retired.

And the Uncle Ben’s brand of rice and side dishes, along with Aunt Jemima’s breakfast rival, Mrs. Butterworth’s, may not be far behind."

More at: https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-aunt-jemima-brand-quaker-oats-20200617-qgpyv...

I guess she will join the Land O'Lakes butter Indian maiden. And how about those Dixie Chicks?

Honored Social Butterfly

black friends.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Well, now that they are retiring Aunt Jemima and ol' Uncle Ben,  maybe they can replace them with Auntie Karen or Uncle Billy Bob instead.

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

NO NO say it isn't so. I may have to quit eating pancakes because I guess that is racist! RIP Aunt Jemima!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Call me a Conservative but I still think the Quaker Oats company has the right to call its syrup anything it wants. Or not. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

One cannot debate with Trump Cult members, who just like their idol and hero in the White House, cannot and will not admit they are wrong. As I stated earlier, facts mean nothing in their world.

The only defacing at the Lincoln Memorial was some minor graffiti at the bottom of the steps leading to the memorial. Nobody attempted to deface the actual Lincoln Memorial, which is nowhere close to the bottom of the steps. 

On Fox, they tried to make this a much larger event than it really was and Trump Lovers never challenge nor question anything they see on Fox.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Just like his hero and idol in the White House, NH cannot admit he was wrong. 

"I did NOT say that they damaged anything at the Lincoln Memorial but they tried to do it."

NO, that is not true! The entire event was created by a right wing website which he probably reads.

Honored Social Butterfly

Just like his hero and idol in the White House, NH cannot admit he was wrong. 

"I did NOT say that they damaged anything at the Lincoln Memorial but they tried to do it."

NO, that is not true! The entire event was created by a right wing website which he probably reads.

You are not man enough to just say you were wrong?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump Cult members reside in an alternate reality where facts and the truth do not exist, and FOX is the Trump Propaganda machine. 

NotHappening fell for another fake conspiracy theory on the Lincoln Memorial. Here are the FACTS:

"A meme is spreading a doctored image of the Lincoln Memorial covered in graffiti to falsely claim that protesters defaced the Lincoln statue. The image was taken from a thumbnail for a video on the conservative website the Daily Wire and shared as if real.

That’s not true. The photo was deliberately doctored and the vandalism in question didn’t happen. “That photo is a hoax,” Mike Litterst, a spokesman for the National Mall and Memorial Parks, a part of the National Park Service, told us in an email.

We traced the photo back to the conservative website the Daily Wire, where “The Michael Knowles Show” used it as a cover image for the video of its June 4 episode."

Honored Social Butterfly

Critical wrote: 

Trump Cult members reside in an alternate reality where facts and the truth do not exist, and FOX is the Trump Propaganda machine. 

NotHappening fell for another fake conspiracy theory on the Lincoln Memorial. Here are the FACTS:

"A meme is spreading a doctored image of the Lincoln Memorial covered in graffiti to falsely claim that protesters defaced the Lincoln statue. 

I did NOT say that they damaged anything at the Lincoln Memorial but they tried to do it.  Since you failed to understand my first post, I repeated it for you to finally sink in!  The Obama cult has difficulty understanding simple English!

They attempted to remove/damage the Lincoln Memorial yesterday in DC.  Is their goal to remove all statues?  Even ones of MLK, Crispus Attucks, and other famous blacks or only white statues?

Honored Social Butterfly

From small name changes to big name changes to removing statues. 

It is time to stop honoring the men who fought for the right to buy and sell your neighbor's children. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

It is time to stop honoring the men who fought for the right to buy and sell your neighbor's children. 

Then perhaps it's time to remove all statues of people like Washington, Jefferson, etc.  Washington tried every trick to entice on of his runaway saves to return from a free state.  He rotated his slaves back to Virginia every few months from Philadelphia so they wouldn't automatically be set free.

My neighbors have no children.  Is there a persistence to keep this discussion off topic?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Then perhaps it's time to remove all statues of people like Washington, Jefferson, etc.  

They attempted to remove/damage the Lincoln Memorial yesterday in DC.  Is their goal to remove all statues?  Even ones of MLK, Crispus Attucks, and other famous blacks or only white statues?

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Then perhaps it's time to remove all statues of people like Washington, Jefferson, etc.  

I've been wondering if they really care or is it they are mainly intent of destruction.  Also, does these people have jobs or how can they spend so much time out in the streets.   The country apparently has degenerated into mob rule. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Very good call, the mob rule is here. The looters and rioters appear to control many neighborhoods in some large cities. They know nothing else but destruction and you are right, they have no jobs and are government dependent. Thus they can riot and loot all night long and rest during the day. Some of them are right here commenting everyday!

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Then perhaps it's time to remove all statues of people like Washington, Jefferson, etc.  Washington tried every trick to entice on of his runaway saves to return from a free state.  He rotated his slaves back to Virginia every few months from Philadelphia so they wouldn't automatically be set free.

My neighbors have no children.  Is there a persistence to keep this discussion off topic?

It appears some of the protesters are taking down statues of Washington and others. You may have a point. Perhaps we need to evaluate the people we are honoring.

The term "neighbor" is not so much a description of proximity but of geography or neighborhood.  May I assume you are in a neighborhood with no blacks?  In truth, I am trying to be honest about the cause for which these generals fought.  It was simply to keep slaves. Had they won, I assume your town has black neighborhoods and those people would be bought and sold, including the children.  

I keep answering other people's posts on this statue thing. This was in answer to one of yours. The best way to keep this on topic is to refuse to discuss anything........off topic.  Personally, I don't care. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

The term "neighbor" is not so much a description of proximity but of geography or neighborhood.  May I assume you are in a neighborhood with no blacks?  

I would believe that my context should be self-explanatory.  In our case the word referred to two house down; in fact there were four neighbors moving in starting with two houses down.

In other words according to your post, you are not here to discuss but to attempt obfuscate discussions.  Your manner of discussions reflect that.

I doubt that slavery would have survived much longer even if there was no civil war.  It had pretty well reach the point that it wasn't cost effective to survive.  It has been suggested that it would collapsed within a few decades, peacefully.  And it was the New England merchants and financiers who was basically supporting the practice.   Additionally inventions in mechanization was replacing human labor, one reason for reducing cost effectiveness and return on investment.

Your last sentence in your post, "Personally, I don't care", is evident.   

Honored Social Butterfly

It does seem that the Conservatives are becoming more sensitive about any changes in their environment. No corporation would throw away all the money spent on building a brand name like Aunt Jemima without lots of studies and cost analysis. Plus, we are seeing blacks rising the corporate ladder.  I can see some white corporate executive asking a rising black star for his/her input on the matter and getting an honest description of how the name  (and company) is perceived. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Cracker Jack Changes Name To More Politically Correct Caucasian Jack

(From the Babylon Bee - Satire) -- When ballparks finally open again, those standing for the traditional seventh-inning stretch will be singing some different lyrics to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame."

After over 100 years of selling its caramel popcorn snack under the name Cracker Jack, Frito-Lay announced today that it would be rebranded as the less offensive "Caucasian Jack."

"We are very sorry to all the crack---er, I mean, Caucasians we have hurt over the years," said a spokesperson.

"Cracker is an offensive stereotype, and we must make sure that all foods and snack products are culturally sensitive.

Think about all the white people who have had to suffer in silence as tens of thousands of baseball fans sang out the hurtful lyrics:

'Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jacks.'"

https://babylonbee.com/news/cracker-jacks-changes-name-to-more-politically-correct-caucasian-jacks?f...

cracker jacks.jpg

Gold Conversationalist

Maybe just maybe some day they will get rid of all the dime store cigar Indians, the team logos and any other disparaging racist depiction of us; The Real Native Americans The True First People of this once Majestic Nation🤔

Honored Social Butterfly

@OscarE1968 wrote:

Maybe just maybe some day they will get rid of all the dime store cigar Indians, the team logos and any other disparaging racist depiction of us; The Real Native Americans The True First People of this once Majestic Nation🤔

And I really wouldn't be bothered by any of it, why would anyone?

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

I wonder if they will keep the old white guy.

quaker.jpg

The Quakers might be offended. Might have to change the brand name too.

Honored Social Butterfly

@jfpinlvn wrote:

I wonder if they will keep the old white guy.

quaker.jpg

The Quakers might be offended. Might have to change the brand name too.

And the White guy is offensive in what way?

The Aunt Jemima image was/is that of a MAMMY, an offensive racist image.

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Next they will eliminate Uncle Ben's rice picture (replacing it with a picture of Hillary).

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Next they will eliminate Uncle Ben's rice picture (replacing it with a picture of Hillary).

Actually .... 'Next will be' replacing the skull and crossbones on poisonous products with a picture of Trump.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Naw....they'll shove him over like they did in Buffalo NY....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Naw....they'll shove him over like they did in Buffalo NY....

ROFLMAO !!!!!!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Then I guess the relationship between Mrs. Butterworth and Colonel Sanders is safe or is it??

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

Then I guess the relationship between Mrs. Butterworth and Colonel Sanders is safe or is it??

Since it's ultimately up to the individual companies, why isn't anyone simply asking them?

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png