Honored Social Butterfly

No Coronavirus Spike in States That Lifted Lockdowns Early, ABC Reports

As states across America lift their coronavirus lockdowns, some fear that COVID-19 cases will spike. After all, the lockdowns were meant to “slow the spread” and “flatten the curve,” so won’t allowing Americans to go back to their normal lives result in more infections?

Yet according to ABC News reporter Ariel Mitropoulos, states that lifted the lockdowns early did not experience a surge in coronavirus hospitalizations, deaths, or the percentage of people testing positive.

“JUST IN: [ABC News] looked at 21 states that eased restrictions May 4 or earlier & found no major increase in hospitalizations, deaths or % of people testing positive in any of them. [SC, MT, GA, MS, SD, AR, CO, ID, IA, ND, OK, TN, TX, UT, WY, KS, FL, IN, MO, NE, OH] via [Ariel Mitropoulos],” ABC News lead medical reporter Eric Strauss tweeted.

It appears ABC News has yet to publish the results of this investigation, but both Strauss and Mitropoulos are ABC News reporters, and the results of this investigation stand to reason.

Most of these states lifted lockdowns in part because the spread of the coronavirus was already under control in those states.

Even so, this report should give Americans confidence that easing the lockdowns — outside of extreme hotspots like the New York City area — is not as dangerous as naysayers suggest.

Even Arkansas, which never entered a lockdown, had a very mild “second spike,” with fewer than 100 hospitalizations.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Great news!!

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

Sun wrote: Seriously Panjandrum?  None of you have ANY idea what "Trump World" thinks. That's obvious from your comments.   lol I think You win the prize!  Your comment REALLY IS like the pot calling the kettle black.  My gosh, you all label almost everything that anyone that differs with you as..."bogus trash" and more.  Their sources are poo pooed like ya'lls sources are the only ones that are honest, REALLY matter and are non biased. And THAT is simply not true.  I honestly find it difficult to believe that these are adults we're dealing with.  No wonder the country is in such a mess...

I find it very amusing that this post was attached to a thread based on fake news.  Every day we see the numbers of Covid-19 victims increase in those states.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Sun wrote: Seriously Panjandrum?  None of you have ANY idea what "Trump World" thinks. That's obvious from your comments.   lol I think You win the prize!  Your comment REALLY IS like the pot calling the kettle black.  My gosh, you all label almost everything that anyone that differs with you as..."bogus trash" and more.  Their sources are poo pooed like ya'lls sources are the only ones that are honest, REALLY matter and are non biased. And THAT is simply not true.  I honestly find it difficult to believe that these are adults we're dealing with.  No wonder the country is in such a mess...

I find it very amusing that this post was attached to a thread based on fake news.  Every day we see the numbers of Covid-19 victims increase in those states.  

Right you are, Rich....seems like someone felt the need to rant/vent and express their apparent intolerance of differing views....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Good news, unless you're in one of the 21 States where infections increased by over 25%, most of the Red and in the south and midwest.

Looks like the lemmings of the GOP are headed over the cliff to support tRumps ego, and thanks to tRump's making masks a political issue, he will kill more Americans with his handling of the Pandemic in 4 months than Hitler killed with the Wehrmacht in 4 YEARS.

Honored Social Butterfly

WOW this is exactly the opposite of what is being reported by every legitimate news outlet quoting CDC statistics. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@jimc91 wrote:

Come on @jimc91, I thought you were going to try to use legitimate media outlets and here you go again, using PJ Media, a far right fringe outlet that has been debunked over and over and over.

It has been cited posting false story after false story.

Come on, @jimc91, didn't you promise to use valid sources and not these fringe outlets?

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

@jimc91 wrote:

Come on @jimc91, I thought you were going to try to use legitimate media outlets and here you go again, using PJ Media, a far right fringe outlet that has been debunked over and over and over.

It has been cited posting false story after false story.

Come on, @jimc91, didn't you promise to use valid sources and not these fringe outlets?

Right you are, NC.  You can't find a much more extreme media source than PJ Media....

extremeright061.png

MBFCMixed (1).png

QUESTIONABLE SOURCE

A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.

• Overall, we rate PJ Media to be Questionable based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of propaganda and conspiracies as well as numerous failed fact checks.

Detailed Report

Reasoning: Extreme Right, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Poor Sourcing, Failed Fact

Checks

World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180

History

PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) is an American online media company and operator of a conservative news, opinion and commentary collaborative blog that was founded in 2004. PJ Media was founded by Charles Johnson and Roger L. Simon. Johnson and Simon set out to “challenge the mainstream media with a network of citizen-journalists.” The network was primarily made up of conservatives and libertarians. PJ Media also had a TV channel that shutdown operations on May 11, 2016, after its billionaire majority investor Aubrey Chernick pulled out funds.

PJ Media - EXTREME Right 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Who's gonna say I told ya' first?🤣

Record spikes in new coronavirus cases, hospitalizations sweep parts of U.S.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa/record-spikes-in-new-coronavirus-cases-hos...

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa/record-spikes-in-new-coronavirus-cases-hos...

Another article from Reuters two days later say AZ, FL, OK, OR, & TX reported record increases and that includes hospitalizations rising at record highs and it appears to be accelerating.

Most ICU units in Arizona are full and they are hoping to expand facilities ASAP.

200 new cases in Oregon are linked to the Lighthouse United Pentecostal Church where hundreds of stupid peeps stood and sang together on May 24.

Oklahoma, site of IMPOTUS's return to stand-up, saw a 68% rise in new cases.

And yet, IMPOTUS, Pence, and the Trump groupies continue to deny and promote that it's all because there is more testing.  (BTW, just a little factoid, the increase in hospitalizations is not tied to testing.)  To all those who think everything is hunky-dory, go on with your bad selves.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

Thank you, Panjan for the update.  I note the locations with the highest spikes are:

"Alabama reported a record number of new cases for the fourth day in a row on Sunday. Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, North Carolina, Oklahoma and South Carolina all had record numbers of new cases in the past three days, according to a Reuters tally."

With the exception of California, all RED states.....no surprise there, is it?  to your question, I doubt the poster who posted this 16 days ago, won't be sating, "I told you so" anytime soon:

Look for spikes in the curve in cities that had Antifa and the far left beating the drum of hatred and rioting in 14 days!"

Again, 16 days ago.....

Honored Social Butterfly

Here we go again. An article from a far right so called reporter with something from ABC News or at least they say it is. No wounder ABC did not release the report since it is not true. The states GA, SC,AR,CO, TN, TX,UT, FL by latest reports and numbers are leading the way with more cases, and I think a few more of the states on the list could be added. I will let others check. Could be this list was made up May 6.

Could be the writer of the article was to busy going to  Trump riots to do any checking.

Here is something for all. Hope you saw the Comic Strip Doonesbury in today paper. It really shows all the typical Trump enabler who attended his rally's in MI and some other states with their weapons. It is dead on.

@john258 wrote:

Here is something for all. Hope you saw the Comic Strip Doonesbury in today paper. It really shows all the typical Trump enabler who attended his rally's in MI and some other states with their weapons. It is dead on.

I did see it! 👍

For all those who missed it, for your viewing pleasure.

db200531.jpg

Honored Social Butterfly

Screen Shot 2020-06-01 at 5.31.57 AM.png

VIMTSTL
Honored Social Butterfly

The protests and riots have nothing to do with Covid-19. They are a result of a policeman putting a black man in a choke hold until he was dead, the latest example of police brutality against black men. Too bad the protests and riots don't immediately prompt police departments across America to get rid of all bad cops, jail them when appropriate, and prohibit them from ever being a police officer or security guard again.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

I would say Don't Be Stupid, but....

I would suggest that perhaps PJMedia is hoping that no one looks at the actual data.    I received a call from a person in AZ - bragging.   So I looked at the way in which that State reports data, as each state reports in a different manner.    That State is seeing a spike in cases, but because of how it reports these deaths....keep playing stupid..that is the RW game to open the economy for political not giving two hoots about health consideration of the overall public.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Look for spikes in the curve in cities that had Antifa and the far left beating the drum of hatred and rioting in 14 days!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Sorry GOPerBots - no spikes in cities with BLM protests, LOTS of spikes in RedStates which opened for business to worship their Toad. Here's some examples:

Washington, DC

The US capital has recorded 9,474 confirmed coronavirus cases since March. Demonstrators have amassed near the White House for 13 consecutive days with more protests expected this week. DC, too, has seen a decrease in COVID-19 cases over the past 15 days.

Daily confirmed cases (May 10 - May 24): 1,838

Daily confirmed cases (May 26 - June 9): 1,140

DC stay-at-home order: Started April 1, ended May 29

New York City, New York

New York City is the US's most populated city. It also has been one of those that have been hit the hardest by the pandemic. The East Coast city has recorded 207,993 cases of COVID-19 this year. On Sunday, Mayor Bill de Blasio lifted the city-wide night curfew that he ordered a week earlier to prevent looting and other violence triggered by Floyd's killing. New confirmed cases dropped by more than 5,000 cases over the past 15 days.

Daily confirmed cases (May 10 - May 24): 13,706

Daily confirmed cases (May 26 - June 9): 8,392

New York stay-at-home order: Started March 22, onging.

Cook County, Illinois (Chicago)

Cook County is home to Chicago, the country's third most populous city. With 83,271 reported coronavirus cases, the county has one of the highest figures in the US. On June 7, Chicago's mayor lifted the city's 9pm curfew, which was put in place on June 1 as protests began to sweep the country. Confirmed cases, meanwhile, have dropped sharply from 19,355 cases (May 10 - May 24) to 8,392 (May 26 - June 9).

Daily confirmed cases (May 10 - May 24): 19,355

Daily confirmed cases (May 26 - June 9): 8,392

Illinois stay-at-home order: Started March 12, ended May 30.

So sad for Foxbots that reality refuses to warp into what you hear from Fox.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Look for spikes in the curve in cities that had Antifa and the far left beating the drum of hatred and rioting in 14 days!

No surprise that once this topic has been proven to be false and misleading that someone would use Antifa and the protests to try and distract from it. ROFLMAO !!!!!!  By the way, the protesters didn't open the states up, the states did that themselves. And only a small minority of the protesters in each state are from out of state.

Nice try though.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

NOTHAPPENING>>Look for spikes in the curve in cities that had Antifa and the far left beating the drum of hatred and rioting in 14 days!

Did Trump have another nightmare about ANTIFA or something?  He has been begging his people to save him from ANTIFA for a couple of days with no evidence of their involvement at all. Why does ANTIFA scare Trump and the regressives so much?

@Richva wrote:

NOTHAPPENING>>Look for spikes in the curve in cities that had Antifa and the far left beating the drum of hatred and rioting in 14 days!

Did Trump have another nightmare about ANTIFA or something?  He has been begging his people to save him from ANTIFA for a couple of days with no evidence of their involvement at all. Why does ANTIFA scare Trump and the regressives so much?

He must have had a nightmare, but he has assured everyone he is protected behind "most ferocious dogs" and "most ominous guns", not to mention he invited his MAGA supporters down to the WH.  I'm sure they'll patrol the perimeter for those nasty ANTIFAs.

0 Kudos

@jimc91 

Geez, I watched my local ABC channel this morning (Sinclair owned) and they said the 21 states which Re-opened have had a spike in cases.

And are expecting another rise in deaths from COVID-19 through October of up to 200,000 really dead people vs merely infected.

Don’t think that number will reflect those that die in nursing , assisted living centers Or VA homes in red states, think Pence and T only want to hear good news from Governors of those states, according to “The Hill”.

Froze

And yes, after long days/nights, I'd still like to swing these hunks of glass , plastic and silicon against the nearest wall Come on retirement!
Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Why does ANTIFA scare Trump and the regressives so much?

Because 'Antifa' is short for 'Anti-Fascist' and tRump and those in Washington that support him are Fascists

Honored Social Butterfly
Honored Social Butterfly

No, it means exactly what I said. Jim uploaded this article because he wants to make Trump look good. Trump wants to reopen businesses because he's far more concerned about money {the Trump Economy} than he is about lives. Any news which indicates that may be a viable option, is in their minds, good for Trump.

With Trump World, you have to explain your logic. States just started reducing their lock downs only 2 or 3 weeks ago. My comment was made to point out the following. What ABC wrote may be true today, but that doesn't mean it will be true 1 or 2 months from now. It's way too early to draw conclusions.

By the way, here's some corona virus news from Jim's home state.

PALM BEACH COUNTY PERCENT POSITIVE RATE NOW IN DOUBLE DIGITS

BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) — The percent positive rate is now at its highest level in Florida since at least May 15th. The Florida Department of Health reports an 8.33 percent positive rate as of May 29th (Friday), the last full day with complete results

Honored Social Butterfly

CriticalThinking:  What ABC wrote is true today, but that doesn't mean it will be true 1 or 2 months from now. It's way too early to draw conclusions.

Yep. I've read time and again that there is a lag of several weeks ((3-6) between transmissions and when people show up at the ER.

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump World focuses only on one thing, protecting their supreme leader. I often think they don't care at all about the people who died, their sole concern is how those deaths reflect upon their Supreme Leader. 

Anyone who's read the science realizes that drawing conclusions at this early stage of the pandemic is borderline foolish.

Honored Social Butterfly

Jim obviously hasn't read the news, but then anyone who follows Fox News is in the same boat. Fox has issues with facts and the truth so, consider the source. I hate to inform but the virus seems to be making a comeback in every state that has reopened. Ooops!!!!!!
Contributor

Hospitalizations because of COVID- 19 are down.  The death rate is down.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TrishC324623 wrote:

@TrishC324623,

You need to read the news or watch the news. It is still at epidemic levels. Your statements above are not true in every state. 

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

@TrishC324623 wrote:

Millions Of Older Americans Live In Counties With No ICU Beds As Pandemic Intensifies

Millions Of Older Americans Live In Counties With No ICU Beds As Pandemic Intensifies 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png