From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

News Media showing hate for our laws!

Message 11 of 18

Kidboy asked, "What do you think of a mother that wold take her children with her on her mission to enter our country illegally ?"

The above question proves Kidboy has no clue about these mothers and why they make such a tortuous and dangerous journey. They come from an extremely violent area and they do this FOR the protection and future of their children. If they don't make the journey, they know their children and/or they will suffer a violent death.

They perceive America as heaven for those in danger. But that was when the Republican Party was the party of "Family Values".

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: News Media showing hate for our laws!

Message 12 of 18

There are two kinds of laws. 

Mala in se: the crime is bad in itself. Like murder, rape, and robbery.

Mala Prohibita:  Wrong merely because they are punished in statute. 

I point this this out because immigration law violations are not inherently evil. They are merely a violation of statute. Victimless crimes. Mala prohibita. 

I think it’s a universal human value to protect children. We see children being traumatized. Which can cause permanent emotional and sometimes permanent physical damage.  And the media and MANY Americans are questioning whether a “victimless crime” statute should be upheld under a zero tolerance policy, in violation of a universal human value of protecting children. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 18
angeleyes64 posted...

Why do you have to ask Congress to fix a problem The Donald made, and Sessions, plus the Donald can resolve. But then he would be admitting defeat.
How can you stand there as a Mother and be comfortable with your answers about the care of these children.
The people in our now low as it can go Government, men and women alike, ALL need to put them selves in peoples shoes with some of the things they say and do, with NO compassion what so ever.
We are on a path of no return and the Trumpies are if stupid enough still loving him. If you are, may you never loose a child or Grand-child and see how it feels. May GOD protect them, as you just never know,
HE just may have a plan you don't like and be wearing their shoes some day!

=============================

Only our Congress can make make laws. I think most people know that...do you?

What do you think of a mother that wold take her children with her on her mission to enter our country illegally ?

I see that our news media is trying to turn our country against our immigration laws.

How about our news media put themselves in the shoes of LEGAL citizens that have their children taken away because they broke laws. Do you care about these children?...I do.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 18

Actually, the American public, which includes the news media, is "showing hate", or more appropriately, showing it's disdain for the way trump enforces the laws.

Spells trouble for the GOP as only 22% Independents support his actions.

As Trump’s zero-tolerance immigration policy backfires, Republicans are in jeopardy

Polls: Trump’s family separation policy is very unpopular

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 18

KidBoy2:  “We have high standards. We give them meals and we give them education and we give them medical care. There are videos, there are TVs,” Nielsen said in response to a question from CNN’s Jeff Zeleny. “I visited the detention myself.”

OMG! I had it all wrong! I thought these kids were screaming because they were taken from their parents and it turns out maybe they just didn't like the food or the videos? Sec. Neilsen is a real peach to be so considerate and kind towards the children.

Now for what I really think.......it won't surprise me if any day now, someone with a conscience leaks videos of what is going on with the children, and they won't be showing clean, happy kids living in a Potemkin village watching the Disney channel. This shameful episode is going to end and Trump is deserving of every epithet that comes his way. Maybe this time he'll be forced to own his mistake.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 18
Why do you have to ask Congress to fix a problem The Donald made, and Sessions, plus the Donald can resolve. But then he would be admitting defeat.
How can you stand there as a Mother and be comfortable with your answers about the care of these children.
The people in our now low as it can go Government, men and women alike, ALL need to put them selves in peoples shoes with some of the things they say and do, with NO compassion what so ever.
We are on a path of no return and the Trumpies are if stupid enough still loving him. If you are, may you never loose a child or Grand-child and see how it feels. May GOD protect them, as you just never know,
HE just may have a plan you don't like and be wearing their shoes some day!
Live For Today, No One is Guaranteed a TOMORROW !
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 18

@KidBoy2 wrote:

DHS Secretary Nielsen Denies Separation Amounts To ‘Child Abuse’

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/06/18/we-will-not-apologize-trump-dhs-chief-defends-immigratio...

CNN) — Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen insisted conditions at the detention facilities are up to par, when asked by reporters if the Trump administration’s policy of separating children from their parents at the border amounts to “child abuse.”

“We have high standards. We give them meals and we give them education and we give them medical care. There are videos, there are TVs,” Nielsen said in response to a question from CNN’s Jeff Zeleny. “I visited the detention myself.”

She said the “vast majority” of children being held in the detention facilities were sent to the US alone by their parents.

Nielsen also responded to criticism from multiple former first ladies to the administration’s zero tolerance immigration stance, remarking that it is a serious issue but one that should be handled by Congress.

“What my response would be is calling attention to this matter is important,” Nielsen said from the White House briefing room Monday. “This is a very serious issue that has resulted after years and years of Congress not taking action, so I would thank them both for their comments. I would thank them both for their concerns. I share their concerns. Congress is the one that needs to fix this.”

Nielsen added: “It’s not a policy. Our policy at DHS is to do what we’re sworn to do, which is to enforce the law.”

Asked specifically about the Japanese internment camps remark from former first lady Laura Bush, Nielsen said: “What I believe is that we should exercise our Democratic rights as Americans and fix the problem. It’s a problem. Let’s fix it.”

The administration continued to falsely insist that only Congress can end the practice of separating children from their parents at the US border.

“We need Congress to fully fund our ability to hold families together through the immigration process. And until these loopholes are closed by Congress, it is not possible as a matter of law to detain and remove whole family units who arrive illegally in the United States,” Nielsen said.

Pressed on why rates of separation are higher now compared to past administrations, Nielsen insisted Trump’s hands were tied.

“I think the President is trying to find a long-term fix. So why don’t we have Congress change the laws?” she said.

She denied that children were being used as a “pawn” in negotiations on Capitol Hill over an immigration measure that would include funding for Trump’s promised border wall.

“The children are not being used as a pawn,” she said. “We’re trying to protect the children, which is why I’m asking Congress to act.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw most of the press conference....what a much of ignorant, hateful people...they show they have one objective and that is to twist the truth about what and why there are problems at the border.  They do not care about keeping our country safe.  They show they do not want our laws enforced.  They do show that they will do their best to make our country look bad to the rest of the world. They did not want to hear what Ms Nielsen had to say.

Seeing that news conference made me lose hope for our country. 

Ms Nielson was able to stand there and take the abuse she showed she has class ... the news media showed they do not. 

So were Trump, Kelly and Sessions lying or was Neilson lying?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

News Media showing hate for our laws!

Message 18 of 18

DHS Secretary Nielsen Denies Separation Amounts To ‘Child Abuse’

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/06/18/we-will-not-apologize-trump-dhs-chief-defends-immigratio...

CNN) — Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen insisted conditions at the detention facilities are up to par, when asked by reporters if the Trump administration’s policy of separating children from their parents at the border amounts to “child abuse.”

“We have high standards. We give them meals and we give them education and we give them medical care. There are videos, there are TVs,” Nielsen said in response to a question from CNN’s Jeff Zeleny. “I visited the detention myself.”

She said the “vast majority” of children being held in the detention facilities were sent to the US alone by their parents.

Nielsen also responded to criticism from multiple former first ladies to the administration’s zero tolerance immigration stance, remarking that it is a serious issue but one that should be handled by Congress.

“What my response would be is calling attention to this matter is important,” Nielsen said from the White House briefing room Monday. “This is a very serious issue that has resulted after years and years of Congress not taking action, so I would thank them both for their comments. I would thank them both for their concerns. I share their concerns. Congress is the one that needs to fix this.”

Nielsen added: “It’s not a policy. Our policy at DHS is to do what we’re sworn to do, which is to enforce the law.”

Asked specifically about the Japanese internment camps remark from former first lady Laura Bush, Nielsen said: “What I believe is that we should exercise our Democratic rights as Americans and fix the problem. It’s a problem. Let’s fix it.”

The administration continued to falsely insist that only Congress can end the practice of separating children from their parents at the US border.

“We need Congress to fully fund our ability to hold families together through the immigration process. And until these loopholes are closed by Congress, it is not possible as a matter of law to detain and remove whole family units who arrive illegally in the United States,” Nielsen said.

Pressed on why rates of separation are higher now compared to past administrations, Nielsen insisted Trump’s hands were tied.

“I think the President is trying to find a long-term fix. So why don’t we have Congress change the laws?” she said.

She denied that children were being used as a “pawn” in negotiations on Capitol Hill over an immigration measure that would include funding for Trump’s promised border wall.

“The children are not being used as a pawn,” she said. “We’re trying to protect the children, which is why I’m asking Congress to act.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw most of the press conference....what a much of ignorant, hateful people...they show they have one objective and that is to twist the truth about what and why there are problems at the border.  They do not care about keeping our country safe.  They show they do not want our laws enforced.  They do show that they will do their best to make our country look bad to the rest of the world. They did not want to hear what Ms Nielsen had to say.

Seeing that news conference made me lose hope for our country. 

Ms Nielson was able to stand there and take the abuse she showed she has class ... the news media showed they do not. 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors