Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: New allegation against Franken, this time met with silence

Message 1 of 9

Celebrities do seem to have a habit of thinking they are somehow "entitled".  He could well have thought HE was the celebrity and SHE was the one wanting to take a picture with HIM

That or maybe Franken, who has spent years hanging around stages and other performers, has a different standard of what is appropriate and what is inappropriate.

The New York Post for example claims inappropriate touching in this picture 

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/20/new-pics-show-al-franken-grabbing-arianna-huffingtons-breasts-and-but...

Arianna Huffington  denies that was the case.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/arianna-huffington-al-franken-new-york-post_us_5a14cbdce4b03dec...

Arianna Huffington Denies Article That Claims Al Franken Groped Her “He was no more ‘groping’ me than I was ‘strangling’ him in the photo I just tweeted,” the media mogul says.

Though we all know that in either case some people, men or women, would call foul or feel funny or offended.

My son, when he was a little kid, like four or five years old used to do something really funny, but kind of messed up too.

He would tell adults to give him their hand, then with both of his hands grab their hand and put it on his neck and pretend they were choking him, the adult would try to pull their hand away and he would pull it back, it created a choking / shaking kind of effect to those watching. He would do this in public places, malls and stuff, and people would stand a stare.

Funny as could be, but who knew what people thought when they watched him do that.

But you know that was part of what made it funny.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

@gruffstuff wrote:

New allegation against Franken, this time met with silence

I read the her account , her allegation, her interpretation of events, but I really find it hard to believe Franken was groping her in front of her husband while the husband was taking a picture in public at a state fair.

Maybe he did creep her out, maybe she didn't like the way her touched her, but this is no Roy Moore event.

This is more whataboutism, this time it's but what about that time time Al Franken touched a girl and she didn't like it or him.

Still it's a lesson to be learned for men and women about their interactions and how they perceive each other.

I read it too.  These people were taking this picture because Al Franken was a celebrity.  Not just anybody in the crowd would do.  AND there was a crowd, AND making a 'scene' in public is embarassing, AND I don't know many women who would scream, "He grabbed my butt", in a situation like that....not there and not then.....maybe now they would.  She probably should have, you know?  Saves having to answer the inevitable, "Why didn't you.....?"

Celebrities do seem to have a habit of thinking they are somehow "entitled".  He could well have thought HE was the celebrity and SHE was the one wanting to take a picture with HIM. She'd never say anything.  This was an opportune time to cop a cheap feel on a dull boring day when he had to do stuff he really didn't want to do.  I doubt many 'celebrities' like to appear in promos.... and maybe not even get paid what they think they are due fot it.  

What you say is possible.  It 'could be' .  Whether it is or not is yet to be known.  Unlike Moore or Charlie Rose, whose profession[s] are a bit more demanding of integrity than comedians, even former ones, opinion of human behavior is not usually complimentary.  They often behave accordingly.  Personal integrity is not always 'on their menu'.  Why should it be?   

No excuse.  Excuses don't make much sense....understanding 'why' does.  You sure did get the whataboutism thing pegged....there will be more.  Wait for it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

I read the her account , her allegation, her interpretation of events, but I really find it hard to believe Franken was groping her in front of her husband while the husband was taking a picture in public at a state fair.

Maybe he did creep her out, maybe she didn't like the way her touched her, but this is no Roy Moore event.

This is more whataboutism, this time it's but what about that time time Al Franken touched a girl and she didn't like it or him.

Still it's a lesson to be learned for men and women about their interactions and how they perceive each other.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@ManicProgressive—Ahh, NM, what this thread is  really all about is nothing more than deflection.  Don’t look at the dirt over here, look there.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

The whole thing with Al Franken is very concerning to me.   However, it's disingenuous of you to post only about a Democrat and stay silent on the Republicans who have been accused of the same and (much) worse.  

Apparently, politics matter much more than the actual ethical issues involved. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

@jimc91 wrote:

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A woman says Al Franken pulled her in tightly and put his hand on her buttocks in 2010 while posing for a picture at the Minnesota State Fair, the second allegation of improper conduct against the Democrat and first involving his time as a senator.

Lindsay Menz told CNN last week for a report broadcast Monday that the interaction with the Minnesota senator made her feel “gross.” She said she immediately told her husband that Franken had “grabbed” her bottom and that she posted about it on Facebook.

Menz’s story comes days after a Los Angeles broadcaster, Leeann Tweeden, accused Franken of forcibly kissing her during a 2006 USO tour. Franken already faced a Senate ethics investigation over Tweeden’s allegation, but the Menz allegation is potentially more damaging for Franken because it would be behavior that occurred while he was in office.

Franken, a Democrat, told CNN he didn’t remember taking the photo with Menz, but said in a statement to the network that he feels badly that she felt disrespected.

“I take thousands of photos at the state fair surrounded by hundreds of people, and I certainly don’t remember taking this picture,” Franken told CNN. “I feel badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected.”

Franken’s office did not respond to repeated Associated Press messages seeking comment.

With the Capitol empty due to Thanksgiving break, reaction to the latest allegation against Franken were muted compared to an outcry last week — and Democrats nationally and in Minnesota were silent.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican, repeated a statement from Thursday calling for an ethics investigation of Franken. After publicly denouncing Franken’s conduct and supporting that investigation last week, no powerful Democrats had spoken out by Monday afternoon about Menz’s allegations.

Menz, 33, who now lives in Frisco, Texas, said her father’s business was sponsoring a radio booth at the Minnesota fair and that she took photos with several elected officials and political candidates as they stopped at the booth.

She said as she posed with Franken, he “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, he put his hand full-fledged on my rear,” Menz said. “It was wrapped tightly around my butt cheek.”

Menz said she told her husband, Jeremy Menz, and father Mark Brown about it right away. Both men affirmed that to CNN. Menz also said she posted the photo with Franken on Facebook on Aug. 27, 2010, and when her sister commented on the photo, she replied: “Dude -- Al Franken TOTALLY molested me! Creeper!”

The AP was not able to immediately view her account to verify the post.

Franken, 66, is the latest public figure to be caught in the deluge of accusations of sexual harassment and misconduct nationwide.

He has apologized to Tweeden, and she has accepted the apology, but a handful of Democrats have called for him to resign. Republicans, still forced to answer for the multiple allegations facing Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, joined in pressing for an expected investigation by the Senate Ethics Committee. Franken said he would welcome it.

Franken canceled a sold-out book festival appearance scheduled for Monday in Atlanta to speak and promote his book, “Al Franken, Giant of the Senate.” He hasn’t appeared in public since Tweeden’s allegation.

___

This story has been corrected to show that Menz talked to CNN last week, not Monday.

https://apnews.com/67eb6fb2ee70441485cc590eba23ef33/New-allegation-against-Franken,-this-time-met-wi...

I think the President did alot worse, but  have you ever seen the BOTS post about that? This is the BOTS way of trying to keep people from talking about the TAX Cut for the Rich the far right Reb. are pushing. Experts tell us it is the worst tax bill ever written, and all in the middle class will pay more. Lets kill the bill, and then lets talk about how Trump abused women, even raped his first wife by court documents.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

jim - "Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican, repeated a statement from Thursday calling for an ethics investigation of Franken."

I'm not sure if McConnell's call for an investigation is a repeat of the investigation Franken has already asked to go forward.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

You are absolutely correct. When Franken was accused by the fifth woman of pedophilia, I realized that all his denials were worthless. When it was discovered his wife had faked that letter from 50 ministers, it was just shocking. The man should be tossed out of the Senate.

Oh wait.............that was Franken, wasn't it?  No?  Somebody else? Really?  What did Franken do to children then? 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Message 9 of 9

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A woman says Al Franken pulled her in tightly and put his hand on her buttocks in 2010 while posing for a picture at the Minnesota State Fair, the second allegation of improper conduct against the Democrat and first involving his time as a senator.

Lindsay Menz told CNN last week for a report broadcast Monday that the interaction with the Minnesota senator made her feel “gross.” She said she immediately told her husband that Franken had “grabbed” her bottom and that she posted about it on Facebook.

Menz’s story comes days after a Los Angeles broadcaster, Leeann Tweeden, accused Franken of forcibly kissing her during a 2006 USO tour. Franken already faced a Senate ethics investigation over Tweeden’s allegation, but the Menz allegation is potentially more damaging for Franken because it would be behavior that occurred while he was in office.

Franken, a Democrat, told CNN he didn’t remember taking the photo with Menz, but said in a statement to the network that he feels badly that she felt disrespected.

“I take thousands of photos at the state fair surrounded by hundreds of people, and I certainly don’t remember taking this picture,” Franken told CNN. “I feel badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected.”

Franken’s office did not respond to repeated Associated Press messages seeking comment.

With the Capitol empty due to Thanksgiving break, reaction to the latest allegation against Franken were muted compared to an outcry last week — and Democrats nationally and in Minnesota were silent.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, a Republican, repeated a statement from Thursday calling for an ethics investigation of Franken. After publicly denouncing Franken’s conduct and supporting that investigation last week, no powerful Democrats had spoken out by Monday afternoon about Menz’s allegations.

Menz, 33, who now lives in Frisco, Texas, said her father’s business was sponsoring a radio booth at the Minnesota fair and that she took photos with several elected officials and political candidates as they stopped at the booth.

She said as she posed with Franken, he “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, he put his hand full-fledged on my rear,” Menz said. “It was wrapped tightly around my butt cheek.”

Menz said she told her husband, Jeremy Menz, and father Mark Brown about it right away. Both men affirmed that to CNN. Menz also said she posted the photo with Franken on Facebook on Aug. 27, 2010, and when her sister commented on the photo, she replied: “Dude -- Al Franken TOTALLY molested me! Creeper!”

The AP was not able to immediately view her account to verify the post.

Franken, 66, is the latest public figure to be caught in the deluge of accusations of sexual harassment and misconduct nationwide.

He has apologized to Tweeden, and she has accepted the apology, but a handful of Democrats have called for him to resign. Republicans, still forced to answer for the multiple allegations facing Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, joined in pressing for an expected investigation by the Senate Ethics Committee. Franken said he would welcome it.

Franken canceled a sold-out book festival appearance scheduled for Monday in Atlanta to speak and promote his book, “Al Franken, Giant of the Senate.” He hasn’t appeared in public since Tweeden’s allegation.

___

This story has been corrected to show that Menz talked to CNN last week, not Monday.

https://apnews.com/67eb6fb2ee70441485cc590eba23ef33/New-allegation-against-Franken,-this-time-met-wi...

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion: