With an AARP membership, there’s always more to discover! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: New York Civil Liberties Union Is Right to Defend Chick-fil-A

Message 1 of 31
What? I don't believe that! In any case, you really should back that up with some kind of proof if you're going to make a blatant statement like that! So, you have proof that Chic fil a fires employees if they find out they are gay?
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 31

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Cirice posted..

Yes, I have a comment.

The ACLU protects your freedom through a nationwide network of staffed offices in every state, Washington, D.C., and Puerto Rico. The New York Civil Liberties Union is a state affiliate of the ACLU. This means that the New York chapter of the ACLU is the ACLU.

====================================================

What do you think this means.? "(The larger ACLU, which has been drifting from its once staunch support for civil liberties, has issued no public statement on the Chick-fil-A ban.)"

I think it means that your biased source is trying to make something out of nothing, and some of you are falling for it.

The fact is, the ACLU is defending Chick-fil-A. This particular case happens to be in New York, so the New York affiliate is handling it.

Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 31

@Richva wrote:

You mean, every employee except their gay employees. Those they fire. 

You have a basis for that statement?  You have proof that is what they would do?  What about what a gay chick-fil-a has to say about that?

So when people boycott Chick-fil-A, it means I don't get hours. Which means I don’t get money. Not just me, but ALL of the LGBT employees at Chick-fil-A. Yes, CFA hires LGBT people. No one’s been fired for being gay or coming out. It’s a job. A job that can’t be taken for granted when work is scarce across the country.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/a-gay-chick-fil-a-employee-speaks-out

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 31

@Richva wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

Perhaps this is a business question. If a landlord has requirements, in order to meet it’s customers needs, and a business cannot meet those requirements, then why is there an issue? For the business that might be looking at leasing, if they do not meet the requirements, they have the free option to no longer persue the lease. 

If all businesses are aware of the rules and treated equally, what is the issue?

Is one is asking for special treatment?

And if one of the requirements is "whites only"?

Do you know if Chick-fil-a had such requirements? If not what is the point of your post??

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 31

@Richva wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

In the past, Chick fil A closed on sundays. I wouldnt want a restaurant in my airport that wasnt available to my passengers 7 days a week. It doesnt matter why they are closed, only that they do. If they cant meet the 7 days a week requirement, they need to go. maybe its not a religious issue, but a business decision.

I would agree if that was the issue , but it isn't. It's a first amendment violation. 

I despise the ACLU. However all the free publicity has propelled Chic Fillet to the most profitable fast food chain in America. I love when hate back fires against the lefties. 

I'm proud of Chic Fillet and their community minded business practices and how they treat their employees. 

You mean, every employee except their gay employees. Those they fire. 

I agree, if anyone was fired due to their sexual preferences, that is wrong. Do you know that is what happened and I would think that would be illegal.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 31

Yes, and I would think anti discriminatory 

policies for businesses

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 31

@williamb39198 wrote:

Unknown. What I was basing my opinion on was a leasing policy by a public municipal airport. 

Or unknown are the individual business policies, whether at the airport or not. 

Whites only policy would be something that we do not want to see. 

Shouldn't equal opportunity rules apply this being at a public municipal airport?  The state of Texas has been taking a close look at similar action by the City of San Antonio.  They have even referred the question to the federal aviation people.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 31

Unknown. What I was basing my opinion on was a leasing policy by a public municipal airport. 

Or unknown are the individual business policies, whether at the airport or not. 

Whites only policy would be something that we do not want to see. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 31

@williamb39198 wrote:

Perhaps this is a business question. If a landlord has requirements, in order to meet it’s customers needs, and a business cannot meet those requirements, then why is there an issue? For the business that might be looking at leasing, if they do not meet the requirements, they have the free option to no longer persue the lease. 

If all businesses are aware of the rules and treated equally, what is the issue?

And if one of the requirements is "whites only"?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 31

@williamb39198 wrote:

You're right - that was a strange post.

Kudos
Views