Join Dr. Catherine Alicia Georges and Amy Goyer at 10:15 a.m. ET Wednesday for an AARP telephone town hall on family caregiving issues. Register here.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: New Democrat Mayor of Baltimore VETOES $15 Minimum Wage Bill

Message 1 of 5

Fascinating.   I was surprised that citing City employee salaries was a reason for the veto.  I couldn't believe there were that many city employees making minimum wage.  I found their Finance Department's analysis of projected fiscal impacts.  Most employees making minimum wage are part-time and seasonal.  Which makes sense.  In contrast, the lowest-paid full-time positions make at least $14 an hour. 

But it isn't the increase to min. wage jobs that costs that $116 million.  It's their concern about wage compression up against higher-paid skilled workers and supervisors.  So this $116 million estimate includes pushing "everyone" up, not just min. wage earners.  I don't know how necessary that would be, honestly.   But figuring that out would require a closer examination of the data.

https://baltimore.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2954486&GUID=46656699-6A66-4081-A595-4C5658...

https://baltimore.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2954486&GUID=46656699-6A66-4081-A595-4C5658...

In any event, we (another very liberal MD county) just vetoed the same type of bill ($15/hour).   We already have a higher min. wage scale in place, passed in 2015.  $10.75 now.  $11.50 in July.  Our County Executive wanted to wait and see what impact this min. wage difference would make. 

To put the min. wage debate in context for my region, the self-sufficiency standard for one adult (no kids) in Baltimore City -- the amount needed to not rely on any public or private assistance such as subsidized housing, food banks, etc. -- is $22,905 a year, or about $11 an hour.

In Montgomery County, it's $37,807 a year, or about $18 an hour.    

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HHS-Program/Resources/Files/MD2016_SSS-Print-NoMarks.pdf

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

Gail  I continuously laugh very hard when I hear that taxes need to be increased. Mainly because, although I don't relish my taxes being raised, I understand that sometimes we need to raise taxes in order to have the necessary services that we seek. The mentality that exists in the US against  paying taxes is something that I have never understood. Unless people want to have the services and like Mana that comes from heaven being provided witthout costing more. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

The push by the City Council to override the veto is not going well either.

The measure passed the City Council 11 to 3 and they have to have 12 yeas to override the veto.  However, there seems to be some other legislative and legislator problems.

Baltimore Sun 04/02/2017 - Advocates Hit Roadblock as they push to override Pugh veto of $15 Minimum...

i wonder why they did not attach a tax increase to the measure which they passed to at least cover the cost for city employees?  Then just leave the private employers out to fend for themselves regardless of how it would affect the economics of the city.  

For especially city employees, there has to be a way to pay for this increase in an already stressed city budget.  Do they think money just grows on trees?

Do they think that increasing the city taxes might affect their re-election negatively?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

Well, vetoing something that is not feasable is not a crime. even if you promised it. Now her responsibility needs to get out there and simply explain as to why is not feasable.

People are not stupid and if there is a good reason for her action is her responsibility to admit that she may have been incorrect and what needs to happen first.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

New Democrat Mayor of Baltimore VETOES $15 Minimum Wage Bill

Message 5 of 5

Reality have hits home . . . . 

Seems some unions are a little upset because they helped her get elected and her views as a candidate on the "Fight for Fifteen" was one of the reasons they supported her.

Now she has taken a close look at the economics of her city and changed her mind to move with the state's policy, instead of trumping it with a higher number.

CBS Local Baltimore. 03/24/2017 - Mayor Pugh Vetoes $15 Minimum Wage Bill

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements