Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Never Underestimate a Woman

Message 1 of 10

The History Channel's series, The Vikings  is careful about historical accuracy...artifacts, Viking home life....portrayal of the Viking social structure and women's place in it.  I'm pretty sure the woman in the photo portrayed Ragnar Lothbruk's wife.  She became Earl and then King. 

Women were equals, not chattel. Viking society worked like that.  . 

Read Scandanavian [Viking] history.  You might understand how come Scandanavian dna shows up in your ancestry, when nobody ever told you.  Or you might come to understand how Portugese got mixed in with all that Swede. One reason could well be those rascal Vikings.

Read Viking history.  Get a better understanding of 'fair'....why the 'little guy' is just as important as a king.  See how legal disputes are handled.... find out what 'the Thing' is...why it still exists in Iceland and why Iceland's parliament is the oldest on earth.  See why mutual allegiance....not one way...is the way Scandanavians see the way 'government' should be....and practice it that way.

There's a reason.  The Vikings. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@Epster wrote:

Lagertha1.jpg 

Back to fancy ... this newly gender ID'd Viking could be my beyond distant kin.

I'd bet an ounce or two of silver on it!!!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

@MIseker  I think I can hear the Viking blood in you. Smiley Happy Now all you need is to write a family victory cry with a tool like this one: http://www.vikingrune.com/old-norse-motto-generator/

Smiley Happy 

Enjoy your day. (I'm going to blow through a few hours writing slogans, myself)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

No one aware of Taarna would ever underestimate a woman on the basis of their gender.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10
The family that adopted me is half viking, as in traced my grammas roots to sweeden in the 1200's. the temptation to have viking funerals here is very strong, and illegal. My Dad went on fishing trips with us well into the wilderness until he was 75, and on that last trip i remember him running over dangerous slippery rocks trying to hit a squirrel with a slingshot. My son and I discussed it, had he croaked up there he would have had is funeral, and we would have said he drowned. I have his ashes, and he may get one yet.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

We are tall. I have a niece that's 6'3". Nobody messes with that woman. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

"...In all seriousness, my Scottish clan is from the extreme north. Family lore says we mixed with Vikings. DH is afraid this is true and that I retained the warrior gene....".

Yeah. More than likely there is some Viking if from the north. I'm from the opposite side of the country. Lowlander from Firth of Forth area. This is more like me!

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

Look what just fell offa me family tree...

Lagertha1.jpgIn all seriousness, my Scottish clan is from the extreme north. Family lore says we mixed with Vikings. DH is afraid this is true and that I retained the warrior gene. Smiley Happy

Back to fancy ... this newly gender ID'd Viking could be my beyond distant kin. I'm 99.9% northern European, 4th generation American Scot. Lots of recessive genes yet in the pool (green eyes, red hair, so forth).

Again, thanks for posting the story. Smiley Happy

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Well shiver me timbers. Thanks for sharing this story.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Never Underestimate a Woman

Message 10 of 10

DNA Confirms Viking Remains Found in Sweden Are Female

"Scientists have confirmed that human remains interred in a prominent Viking warrior grave in Sweden were those of a woman and not a man, a discovery that raises provocative questions about gender roles and limitations in the male-dominated ancient society.

The woman's remains were entombed in a "well-furnished" grave in the Viking-age town of Birka and were excavated in the 1880s, but it was only through DNA testing that her sex was determined, according to findings published Friday in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology.

Not only was she a warrior, but the grave suggests she was a high-ranking one. Along with her remains, archaeologists found a sword, an ax, a spear, armor-piercing arrows, a bottle knife, two shields and two horses – the complete equipment of a professional warrior. Furthermore, a full set of gaming pieces with the remains implied she had knowledge of tactics and strategy and confirmed her role as a high-ranking officer, the findings state."

More at: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2017-09-08/dna-confirms-viking-remains-found-in-sweden-ar...

This woman was not one to mess with.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.

Top Authors