WATCH VIDEO: Day 5 of Iowa presidential candidate forum with Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: NZ BANS ASSAULT WEAPONS

Message 41 of 225

@mandm84 wrote:

tex says "You keep posting as if I'm not familiar with firearms. I don't have to go to gun shows, but why should I since I haven't own guns or handled them for going on 40 years now. You seem to keep ignoring that. I've seen enough 'madness' to last a lifetime."

------------------------

So you don't know a **bleep** thing about the "Gun Show Loop Hole" that allows ANY person to fill their trunks full of Assault Weapons and Ammo without ANY Background Check. Thanks NRA for turning our streets and schools into War Zones !!

TxGrandpa2's state is one of those where a convicted felon, convicted domestic abuser, or abuser with a restraining order against him - can go to a gun show and arrange to do a "parking lot purchase" or a "backyard purchase" and lie to the seller - and because there is no universal background check - nobody knows they've just sold to a person prohibited to possess a firearm - and - since it's not a purchase from a licensed gun dealer in the dealer's business - the guns can end up in the hands of someone who shouldn't be allowed to have a burned out match or a pocket knife - much less a firearm...

Thousands of illegal sales take place in Texas and other "red/conservative" states that don't have universal background checks for ALL sales - and then the illegal guns end up being mostly successfully smuggled into states that have real laws that eliminate "parking lot sales" - "backyard sales"  - "brother-in-law's garage sales" -- etc etc...

Where do criminals get guns on the black market? 

Mostly from guns that traded hands in "red states" without universal background checks...

gunroutes.jpg

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 225

tex says "You keep posting as if I'm not familiar with firearms. I don't have to go to gun shows, but why should I since I haven't own guns or handled them for going on 40 years now. You seem to keep ignoring that. I've seen enough 'madness' to last a lifetime."

------------------------

So you don't know a **bleep** thing about the "Gun Show Loop Hole" that allows ANY person to fill their trunks full of Assault Weapons and Ammo without ANY Background Check. Thanks NRA for turning our streets and schools into War Zones !!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

And yes, there are many claims about converting AR15s to fully automatic.

They aren't claims, bud - those modifications actually work - and if one has filled out the paperwork. paid the $200, and recieved the transfer permit - one is fully legally the owner of a full auto weapon.  (those parts are legally considered to be a NFA device same as an entire weapon)

While talking about unlawful to own without the NFA transfer permit - now bumpstocks have become NFA devices...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 225

@alferdpacker wrote:

Presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon were all involved in Vietnam.

Isn't that what I posted?  US forces were there in an advisory capacity and until the escalation by Johnson I believe their families accompanied them.  I recall reading an article in the Pacific Stars and Stripes about this while stationed in Vietnam. 

https://www.commissaries.com/our-agency/newsroom/news-releases/commissaries-vietnam-during-war-us-st...

And yes, there are many claims about converting AR15s to fully automatic.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So what !  It's still an "assault weapon", capable of killing dozens in a matter of seconds.

The AR15 is not considered an assault weapon.

• AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.” An assault rifle is fully automatic — a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.
  • If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an “assault weapon,” he or she either supports banning these firearms (my emphasis) or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. “Assault weapon” is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.
  • AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

https://www.ar15goa.com/about/the-ar-15-rifle/

According to your definition of 'assault rifles', any rifle capable of semi-automatic firing could be considered an assault rifle.  Looking at the posts on this forum about assault rifles, I go along with the definition above from the link.

Without a doubt it is also a 'follow-the-leader' thingy so as to stay in the liberal 'crowd'.

Tell us TxGrandpa2 - were the M1 Garand and the M14 prior to the later full auto and select fire modifications considered to be the top of the line "assault rifles" in their day?

Answer - they sure as hell were...

For that matter, in it's day the 30-40 Krag Jorgensen was considered to be an assault rifle...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

And BTW, the AR15 was distributed to the South Vietnamese ARMY at the beginning of US involvement in Vietnam ..... hardly civilian use!

The US had been involved in Vietnam in some capacity since World War II, the AR 15 hasn't been around that long.   Perhaps you can reference the source for your information?  Is there a reason you never give sources for your information?

Besides the M16 is the military version since the AR15 is for civilian use.  From that source:  "Semi-automatic AR-15s for sale to civilians are internally different from the full automatic M16, although nearly identical in external appearance."

Presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon were all involved in Vietnam.

According to most historians Eisenhower initiated having US forces recognized as in direct and active officially sanctioned oppostition to the Viet Cong.

The internal difference in a semi-auto and a full auto and/or select fire modified AR15 consists of a few small pieces that easily fit in the palm of one's hand.

Have I seen the modification done?  

Yep- sure have - watched a fellow gun owner install the legally purchased parts that were accompanied by the required transfer permit with Federal Excise Tax Stamp attached...

The firearm he converted had been purchased from me when I sold it to buy an AK47 - my preferred semi-auto long arm...

So - tell us - what is it that changed the surplus unmodified M1 Garand I got through the NRA CMP from being a WW2 era assault rifle to not being one?

Want to convert to Full Auto AR15?

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 225

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So what !  It's still an "assault weapon", capable of killing dozens in a matter of seconds.

The AR15 is not considered an assault weapon.

• AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.” An assault rifle is fully automatic — a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.
  • If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an “assault weapon,” he or she either supports banning these firearms (my emphasis) or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. “Assault weapon” is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.
  • AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

https://www.ar15goa.com/about/the-ar-15-rifle/

According to your definition of 'assault rifles', any rifle capable of semi-automatic firing could be considered an assault rifle.  Looking at the posts on this forum about assault rifles, I go along with the definition above from the link.

Without a doubt it is also a 'follow-the-leader' thingy so as to stay in the liberal 'crowd'.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

And BTW, the AR15 was distributed to the South Vietnamese ARMY at the beginning of US involvement in Vietnam ..... hardly civilian use!

The US had been involved in Vietnam in some capacity since World War II, the AR 15 hasn't been around that long.   Perhaps you can reference the source for your information?  Is there a reason you never give sources for your information?

Besides the M16 is the military version since the AR15 is for civilian use.  From that source:  "Semi-automatic AR-15s for sale to civilians are internally different from the full automatic M16, although nearly identical in external appearance."

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

You can make it either one you want.   But of course you would anyway.

Yet another dodge ............... why?

No dodge, my answer speaks for itself.  Besides I have no idea of what Trump supporters would do.  Maybe you should ask one? 

I did !

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 225

@myexper wrote:

Kudos
Views