Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: NZ BANS ASSAULT WEAPONS

Message 181 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

The all too typical AR-15 - an all-too-commonly purchased substitute for perceived male inadequacies - is slightly less powerful - and therefore somewhat less effective on the allegedly dangerous "Texas hogs" that have been cited - than multiple venerable and proved effective lever action rifles chambered for 30-30 Winchester - thirty percent more powerful .35 Remington - and can't even hope to hold a candle to lever action rifles chambered for 45-70 and the 444 Marlin cartridges...

So how many guns do you own? 

Most of the 142 - mostly representing earliest examples of a kind of firearm, (admittedly a great many of mine are modern reproductions, because many originals go for $100K or more) - or improvements - such as the Luger as an improvement of Borchardt's improvement upon the Maxim toggle lock mechanism - are in an irrevocable trust controlled by my kids.

In the past you've claimed many. 

Only have 17 in my immediate possession. 

A couple are for carrying concealed - all those native born profoundly deranged white supremacists/bigots/racists in the nation running loose instead of being in locked secure institutions are certainly reason for concern for one's safety...

Some others are strictly for hunting for meat, although I don't carry the animals out using muscle power any longer - I "cheat" and use an ATV.

The rest are mostly for target practice, etc - trump and a number of his administration droogs are the predominant images I've printed  upon paper targets...

The rest are family firearms that were willed to me...

I don't own any, nor do I need any for the reasons you gave.  In fact the last time I've even handled a firearm was 40 years ago.  At that time it was during annual weapons familiarization.  I had completed the familization firing when the range personnel asked me if I would like to dispose of an ammo container full cartridges that were close to expiration.  There wasn't anything left of the target after I got through.

Is that an admission of not being able to hold on target, and shoot out only the center of the target?

So how many 'Texas hogs' have you hunted? 

Never with a firearm - but did do a little bit of "pigsticking" - hunting boars with a specially built steel spear with a strong crosspiece - in the late seventies and early eighties - when I was doing contract work in Texas - only did that four times - never had reason to be in Texas after that - the meat was rather tasty - but all in all I've always preferred the taste of deer, elk, and moose to pig.

Yes, I did carry a 454 Casull, but didn't have to use it.

Never had reason to be in Texas after I stopped doing contract work.

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 182 of 225

@Laurie42010 wrote:

I do not know for sure, but the AR in the AR-15 means Assault Rifle, no? 

Suggest you need to do some checking on that.   The AR in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “ARdoes NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”

And are not background checks supposed to be made before a person buys a rifle from dealers?

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 183 of 225

For God's sake, you CAN NOT bring your infant home without them inspecting the car seat, but gosh you can bring the child home with a house full of "available" guns?????

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 184 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

So, if it is just the crazy people who should not have a gun at their use then how do you explain the "accidental killings" or just ooops....it went off, like in the case of the former Vice-President Chaney???

Of course the firearm in that case was an old-fashioned shotgun... did it go off by itself or because of careless handling by the holder?   So you want to ban "military grade" firearms...what would be the definition?  AR-15s are not considered assault weapons (but of course the poster that started this might think so) but more so sporting rifles.  What's your definition?  Most military grade weapons are already restricted.

I do not know for sure, but the AR in the AR-15 means Assault Rifle, no?  The old semi-automatics have indeed been around a long time, which I certainly understand in the hunting arena.  I just know that it has come to a point where IF you are a responsible gun owner than you certainly would agree that they are getting into the hands of irresponsible people.  Idk, but perhaps it is time where IF you wish to have guns than why would you object to responsible licensing, keeping them in a safe, and registering all of your firearms?  Why would some need to stock pile them??? We in my state have to keep our dogs up to date on rabies and yearly licensing, but gun owners don't have to meet a yearly registration regulations.  I know that terrible word....REGULATION. Gun owners need to have a good,clear conscience and stop worrying about "they are gonna take my guns away". Stop, show the people you are responsible and help establish laws that you certainly know will close all the loop holes and not just make profits for the NRA and gun manufacturers.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 185 of 225

@john258 Thank you, nicely said.  That was my point, I just didn't come out and say it!

@john258 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

Wow...now what would the wild game look like with that many holes in it??? Maybe they should consider going to the local sportmans' club and get lessons how to shoot a regular rifle- you know one that you load one shell at a time??? Learn how to use the weapon with a target to teach them how to shoot to kill the "wild life" with one shot?! I removed the photo because I didn't want to offend others.  But if you seen it, that was with one arrow!!!  No gun needed is my point!

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

when are you going to answer my question tex ?

What logical reason does a civilian need a 50 round Military Style Assault Rifle with a collapsible stock that fits into a back pack ?

Please don't look foolish again by saying to defend yourself against " Wild Hogs "

First of all, you don't define "assault rifle" so I will (my own version): any rifle that can fire in the full automatic mode (selectable) where one trigger pull emits several or many rounds of ammunition. These "military weapons" (personal rifle) hold 30 rounds of ammo.

Semi automatic guns (sold at the gun store) may look the same, feel the same, hold 30 rounds also, but DON'T have the selectable auto mode.

The left seems to think that based on the looks of the weapon, it IS or ISN'T an assault weapon.

Maybe the left would prefer hunting be done with sling shot and maybe fishing with a string with a safety pin attached?

Well, I am not Right or Left and I know many generations around my rural area who do not need a weapon that shoots using clips....in fact, my son does quite well using his bow and many have used a plain shotgun for hunting for years and years.  I am not opposed to people having the right for the personal weapon to hunt or protection of their home, but I do believe that a military grade weapon should only be in the hands of just that....the military people who are trained and SKILLED to use such for protection of our country.  So, if it is just the crazy people who should not have a gun at their use then how do you explain the "accidental killings" or just ooops....it went off, like in the case of the former Vice-President Chaney??? Perhaps we have come to the point of never turning back and just open fire on anyone who one might "feel" threatened by????  You know, the Stand Your Ground law??

Semi automatic rifles have been around for a long time and many people hunt with them. Most of the left objects to a gun that looks like a military weapon but doesn't have the auto capability.

Yes they have our military needs them. Only the far right hunts with them as they need them when hunting or the prey they are after will outsmart them. Good hunters do not need them.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 186 of 225

@Laurie42010 wrote:

So, if it is just the crazy people who should not have a gun at their use then how do you explain the "accidental killings" or just ooops....it went off, like in the case of the former Vice-President Chaney???

Of course the firearm in that case was an old-fashioned shotgun... did it go off by itself or because of careless handling by the holder?   So you want to ban "military grade" firearms...what would be the definition?  AR-15s are not considered assault weapons (but of course the poster that started this might think so) but more so sporting rifles.  What's your definition?  Most military grade weapons are already restricted.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 187 of 225

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

Wow...now what would the wild game look like with that many holes in it??? Maybe they should consider going to the local sportmans' club and get lessons how to shoot a regular rifle- you know one that you load one shell at a time??? Learn how to use the weapon with a target to teach them how to shoot to kill the "wild life" with one shot?! I removed the photo because I didn't want to offend others.  But if you seen it, that was with one arrow!!!  No gun needed is my point!

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

What logical reason does a civilian need a 50 round Military Style Assault Rifle with a collapsible stock that fits into a back pack ?

Please don't look foolish again by saying to defend yourself against " Wild Hogs "

First of all, you don't define "assault rifle" so I will (my own version): any rifle that can fire in the full automatic mode (selectable) where one trigger pull emits several or many rounds of ammunition. These "military weapons" (personal rifle) hold 30 rounds of ammo.

Semi automatic guns (sold at the gun store) may look the same, feel the same, hold 30 rounds also, but DON'T have the selectable auto mode.

The left seems to think that based on the looks of the weapon, it IS or ISN'T an assault weapon.

Maybe the left would prefer hunting be done with sling shot and maybe fishing with a string with a safety pin attached?

Well, I am not Right or Left and I know many generations around my rural area who do not need a weapon that shoots using clips....in fact, my son does quite well using his bow and many have used a plain shotgun for hunting for years and years.  I am not opposed to people having the right for the personal weapon to hunt or protection of their home, but I do believe that a military grade weapon should only be in the hands of just that....the military people who are trained and SKILLED to use such for protection of our country.  So, if it is just the crazy people who should not have a gun at their use then how do you explain the "accidental killings" or just ooops....it went off, like in the case of the former Vice-President Chaney??? Perhaps we have come to the point of never turning back and just open fire on anyone who one might "feel" threatened by????  You know, the Stand Your Ground law??

Semi automatic rifles have been around for a long time and many people hunt with them. Most of the left objects to a gun that looks like a military weapon but doesn't have the auto capability.

Yes they have our military needs them. Only the far right hunts with them as they need them when hunting or the prey they are after will outsmart them. Good hunters do not need them.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 188 of 225

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

tex says "I'm willing to wager that you've never fired any type of firearm otherwise you wouldn't be making so many erroneous statements."

----------------------

What errors Range Officer ? Never heard of 50 Round Magazines ? The difference between a 30 round mag and a 50 round is of no consequence.

I am not talking about fully automatic Tommy Guns. In semi auto mode there is no difference between the kick back with a 30 round or a 50 round mag.

Your error ?

No, your error. You wouldn't want a 50 round magazine because of weight.

Have you carried firearms with each capacity magazine a significant distance?

What cartridge?

Specifically - what is the difference in weight - each - for a 50 round magazine containing 5.56 x 45mm NATO(M16/AR15) - 7.62 x 39mm (AK 47) - and 7.62 x 51mm NATO (M14) - versus the standard capacity magazine for each of those cartridges?

Did you consider including weight of the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer - a cartridge designed and developed by P.O. Ackley in the same decade that the 5.56 NATO was developed?

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 189 of 225

@Laurie42010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 190 of 225

@alferdpacker wrote:

The all too typical AR-15 - an all-too-commonly purchased substitute for perceived male inadequacies - is slightly less powerful - and therefore somewhat less effective on the allegedly dangerous "Texas hogs" that have been cited - than multiple venerable and proved effective lever action rifles chambered for 30-30 Winchester - thirty percent more powerful .35 Remington - and can't even hope to hold a candle to lever action rifles chambered for 45-70 and the 444 Marlin cartridges...

So how many guns do you own?   In the past you've claimed many.  I don't own any, nor do I need any for the reasons you gave.  In fact the last time I've even handled a firearm was 40 years ago.  At that time it was during annual weapons familiarization.  I had completed the familization firing when the range personnel asked me if I would like to dispose of an ammo container full cartridges that were close to expiration.  There wasn't anything left of the target after I got through.  

So how many 'Texas hogs' have you hunted? 

Kudos
Views