Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: NZ BANS ASSAULT WEAPONS

Message 31 of 225

@myexper wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

And BTW, the AR15 was distributed to the South Vietnamese ARMY at the beginning of US involvement in Vietnam ..... hardly civilian use!

The US had been involved in Vietnam in some capacity since World War II, the AR 15 hasn't been around that long.  

The AR 15 "was around" and in use by US Military advisers in Vietnam and the South Vietnamese Army.

Reference an excerpt form GunDigest on the history of the AR15:

'Many of the U.S. advisers in Vietnam were equipped with the new AR-15 rifle. Rifles began to surface throughout Vietnam, totally outside the normal small arms procurement process. The first troops using the AR-15 under combat conditions were very enthusiastic, preferring it to all other weapons. The South Vietnamese were impressed with the rifle, as well."

Perhaps you can reference the source for your information? 

See reply above.

(Perhaps you could remember that I already provided a reference as to the introduction of the AR15 in previous topics you participated in.)

Is there a reason you never give sources for your information?

Is there a reason that you (conveniently?) can't remember that I have "given sources" ...... AND

Is there a reason why you demand that others answer your questions while you refuse to answer questions posed to you?

Besides the M16 is the military version since the AR15 is for civilian use.  From that source:  "Semi-automatic AR-15s for sale to civilians are internally different from the full automatic M16, although nearly identical in external appearance."

As the AR15's design intent  was to counter the AK47 combat assault rifle, the AR15 was designed as a combat assault rifle...... NEVER intended for civilian use!

That's exactly what it was designed for - civilian use.

• The “AR” in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”
  • AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.” An assault rifle is fully automatic, a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.
  • If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an “assault weapon,” then they’ve been duped by an agenda. The only real way to define what is an “assault weapon” is politically, as in how any given law chooses to define the term—this is why the states that have banned this category of semiautomatic firearms have done so with very different definitions.
  • AR-15-style rifles can look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but by law they function like other semiautomatic civilian sporting firearms, as they fire only one round with each pull of the trigger.
  • https://www.nssf.org/msr/

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 225

@mandm84 wrote:

Tex , I never accused you of owning any 30-50 Round Military "Style" Assault Weapons , but you keep evading the actual topic.

I've asked you numerous times , Why should any Civilian possess a 30-50 Round Weapon without any Background Check and you evade that question by trying to muddy the waters.

Oh and you can't be serious about "Wild Hogs"

Hell , we got Bears , Copperhead and  Rattlesnakes in our Adirondack and Catskill Mountains , but our folks defend themselves just fine with a 10 Round Magazine. 

Let's be honest Texas nor New York is War Torn Somalia , so let's try to be reasonable and limit the Bloodshed.

Did you say "let's be resonable"....hmm, what's that?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 225

tex says "I have no idea why anyone would want to own any type firearm"

---------------------------

You said to hunt Wild Hogs. As far as owning a 30-50 Round Assault Rifle , just ask the Mass Murderer's still alive in our Prison System. It's to Kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

And BTW, the AR15 was distributed to the South Vietnamese ARMY at the beginning of US involvement in Vietnam ..... hardly civilian use!

The US had been involved in Vietnam in some capacity since World War II, the AR 15 hasn't been around that long.  

The AR 15 "was around" and in use by US Military advisers in Vietnam and the South Vietnamese Army.

Reference an excerpt form GunDigest on the history of the AR15:

'Many of the U.S. advisers in Vietnam were equipped with the new AR-15 rifle. Rifles began to surface throughout Vietnam, totally outside the normal small arms procurement process. The first troops using the AR-15 under combat conditions were very enthusiastic, preferring it to all other weapons. The South Vietnamese were impressed with the rifle, as well."

Perhaps you can reference the source for your information? 

See reply above.

(Perhaps you could remember that I already provided a reference as to the introduction of the AR15 in previous topics you participated in.)

Is there a reason you never give sources for your information?

Is there a reason that you (conveniently?) can't remember that I have "given sources" ...... AND

Is there a reason why you demand that others answer your questions while you refuse to answer questions posed to you?

Besides the M16 is the military version since the AR15 is for civilian use.  From that source:  "Semi-automatic AR-15s for sale to civilians are internally different from the full automatic M16, although nearly identical in external appearance."

As the AR15's design intent  was to counter the AK47 combat assault rifle, the AR15 was designed as a combat assault rifle...... NEVER intended for civilian use!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 225

@mandm84 wrote:

I've asked you numerous times , Why should any Civilian possess a 30-50 Round Weapon without any Background Check and you evade that question by trying to muddy the waters.

I have no idea why anyone would want to own any type firearm.  Perhaps you should ask someone who owns them? 

And yes, there are those who use AR15s to hunt wild hogs, of which we have plenty here in Texas.  I don't hunt since I don't have any firearms, besides being handicapped have problems even getting out for other reasons.

Wild hogs are highly destructive and have been moving into suburban areas.  They are hunted in various ways out in open country (which is plentiful here in Texas vs New York) in all sorts of ways, trapping, out in rural areas, from helicopter, etc. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 225

Tex , I never accused you of owning any 30-50 Round Military "Style" Assault Weapons , but you keep evading the actual topic.

Hell , we got Bears , Copperhead and  Rattlesnakes in our Adirondack and Catskill Mountains , but our folks defend themselves just fine with a 10 Round Magazine. 

Let's be honest Texas nor New York is War Torn Somalia , so let's try to be reasonable and limit the Bloodshed.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

So, if it is just the crazy people who should not have a gun at their use then how do you explain the "accidental killings" or just ooops....it went off, like in the case of the former Vice-President Chaney???

Of course the firearm in that case was an old-fashioned shotgun... did it go off by itself or because of careless handling by the holder?   So you want to ban "military grade" firearms...what would be the definition?  AR-15s are not considered assault weapons (but of course the poster that started this might think so) but more so sporting rifles.  What's your definition?  Most military grade weapons are already restricted.

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

So, if it is just the crazy people who should not have a gun at their use then how do you explain the "accidental killings" or just ooops....it went off, like in the case of the former Vice-President Chaney???

Of course the firearm in that case was an old-fashioned shotgun... did it go off by itself or because of careless handling by the holder?   So you want to ban "military grade" firearms...what would be the definition?

Any semi-automatic weapon that can fire more than 8 times without reloading.

That means weapons using a detachable magazine could not be in the same place as a magazine that could accept more than 8 rounds and those with internal magazines would need to have some device inserted to prevent loading more than 8 rounds. I've got an 1892 pump-action shotgun that came with a wooden dole rod so the magazine could be "shortened" to hold only 3 rounds vs the normal 5 because game laws had such a condition depending on what you were hunting.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 225

@mandm84 wrote:

tex says "You keep posting as if I'm not familiar with firearms. I don't have to go to gun shows, but why should I since I haven't own guns or handled them for going on 40 years now. You seem to keep ignoring that. I've seen enough 'madness' to last a lifetime."

------------------------

So you don't know a **bleep** thing about the "Gun Show Loop Hole" that allows ANY person to fill their trunks full of Assault Weapons and Ammo without ANY Background Check. Thanks NRA for turning our streets and schools into War Zones !!

Same answer as in my previous post, 'tex' doesn't own any firearms, not even toys or replicas; tex hasn't touched a firearm in over 40 years and doesn't need any.  "Tex" does think that someone is exaggerating about the ease of obtaining them.  Tex doesn't go to any gun shows so he has no idea about them, but doubt that a person can fill their trunks up with assault weapons...sounds as if someone might have experience along those lines.

Can't understand why the poster can't understand that I don't own any type of firearm, yet keeps bringing up about assault weapons, etc?

It does seem that several are more interested in engaging in an argumentative manner.

Have a good day.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Laurie42010 wrote:

I do not know for sure, but the AR in the AR-15 means Assault Rifle, no? 

Suggest you need to do some checking on that.   The AR in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “ARdoes NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”

And are not background checks supposed to be made before a person buys a rifle from dealers?

Background checks are worthless. People change, but the NRAGOP thinks ONE check is all you need for life-long access to firearms. Preposterous.

No civilian has a legitimate need for a semi-atuomatic firearm that can fire more than 8 times before reloading. Those ILLIGITIMATE military weapons need to be modified and ownership checked at least as often as we renew our drivers licenses.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 225

@alferdpacker wrote:

TxGrandpa2's state is one of those where a convicted felon

And how many guns does TxGrandpa2 own versus you?  TxGrandpa2 owns zero guns, not even a toy gun, whereas you have posted you have owned many.  TxGrandpa2 hasn't touched a gun in 40 years and doesn't need any.  So what is the problem?  Unless someone is attempting to bait another poster into an argument.

Have a good day.

Kudos
Views