Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: NZ BANS ASSAULT WEAPONS

Message 21 of 225

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

And BTW, the AR15 was distributed to the South Vietnamese ARMY at the beginning of US involvement in Vietnam ..... hardly civilian use!

The US had been involved in Vietnam in some capacity since World War II, the AR 15 hasn't been around that long.  

The AR 15 "was around" and in use by US Military advisers in Vietnam and the South Vietnamese Army.

Reference an excerpt form GunDigest on the history of the AR15:

'Many of the U.S. advisers in Vietnam were equipped with the new AR-15 rifle. Rifles began to surface throughout Vietnam, totally outside the normal small arms procurement process. The first troops using the AR-15 under combat conditions were very enthusiastic, preferring it to all other weapons. The South Vietnamese were impressed with the rifle, as well."

Perhaps you can reference the source for your information? 

See reply above.

(Perhaps you could remember that I already provided a reference as to the introduction of the AR15 in previous topics you participated in.)

Is there a reason you never give sources for your information?

Is there a reason that you (conveniently?) can't remember that I have "given sources" ...... AND

Is there a reason why you demand that others answer your questions while you refuse to answer questions posed to you?

Besides the M16 is the military version since the AR15 is for civilian use.  From that source:  "Semi-automatic AR-15s for sale to civilians are internally different from the full automatic M16, although nearly identical in external appearance."

As the AR15's design intent  was to counter the AK47 combat assault rifle, the AR15 was designed as a combat assault rifle...... NEVER intended for civilian use!

That's exactly what it was designed for - civilian use.

Not true ...... The AR15 was "designed" to counter the AK47 combat assault rifle!

• The “AR” in “AR-15” rifle stands for ArmaLite rifle, after the company that developed it in the 1950s. “AR” does NOT stand for “assault rifle” or “automatic rifle.”
  • And I NEVER stated otherwise!
  • AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.”
  • Not according to their design criteria!
  • An assault rifle is fully automatic, a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.
  • A rifle need not be "fully automatic" to be considered a military combat assault weapon. The AR15's high velocity bullets, rapid trigger and massive magazine capability render it a weapon designed to kill as many persons as fast as possible, thus a weapon designed for military use only. In addition, the AR15 can be readily modified to be "fully automatic"
  • If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an “assault weapon,” then they’ve been duped by an agenda.
  • No "duping" nor "agenda" as you falsely claim ..... just historical facts that you obviously want to evade. As the AR15 was designed to counter the AK47 combat assault rifle ..... the AR15 is indeed a combat assault rifle!
  • The only real way to define what is an “assault weapon” is politically, as in how any given law chooses to define the term—this is why the states that have banned this category of semiautomatic firearms have done so with very different definitions.
  • Orrrr ..... "defined" by its design intent. You conveniently keep omitting that!
  • AR-15-style rifles can look like military rifles, (because IT IS a military rifle!) such as the M-16, but by law they function like other semiautomatic civilian sporting firearms, as they fire only one round with each pull of the trigger.
  • ........ But fire bullets at a far higher velocity and with rapid trigger operation and easily modified to full automatic! That's why it has been the obvious choice of mass killer shooters!
  •  

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 225

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

tex says "I have no idea why anyone would want to own any type firearm"

---------------------------

You said to hunt Wild Hogs. As far as owning a 30-50 Round Assault Rifle , just ask the Mass Murderer's still alive in our Prison System. It's to Kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time.

Why do you care about what Tex thinks or what the laws are in Texas? Seems that they have enough problems in NY despite all your laws!

The poster seems to be obsessed by this.  Even after I've said multiple times that I haven't owned or handled a firearm since 1978 after I retired from the Army. 

Perhaps he/she has something about shooting wild hogs?  That seems to be another problem with the poster.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 

IMO, you are entitled to your opinion.  I believe that there is no harm in responsible owners possessing them, and am not the one keeping this going.  Especially since I've had nothing to do with any form of firearms for over 40 years.  Someone else is obsessed with them.

I am fully aware that the military version had a capability of selecting automatic or semi-automatic fire. Been there done that.

The bottom line is that AR-15s is owned by millions of responsible Americans, but every time some character goes off the deep end, there is mass hysteria to 'think of the children' and ban firearms.  There is still the Second Amendment and that there is millions of responsible gun owners in the country.

I do have several weapons (none an AR15 because I don't feel a need to own such a weapon). I also have a concealed carry permit and don't conceal carry (because I don't choose to) and I know many people just like me. My handguns are semi automatic and have the capability to do a similar job as an AR15 with less accuracy (rapid fire). If a bad person has a gun, then it is extremely dangerous!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 225

@mandm84 wrote:

States like Texas , that allow Anyone to fill their trunks full of Assault Weapons at Gun Shows and Private Sales with NO Background Checks.

You keep preaching to the choir, so one needs to ask why?  And there is still that pesky thing called the Second Amendment that says there will be no law abridging the right to own firearms.  What right do you have to dictate to millions of responsible gun owners?  Does gun owners in Texas endanger or bother you up there in New York?

And where do you get your information that anyone can load up their trunks with assault weapons?  You keep repeating that.  Furnish absolute proof. 

Again, why do you keep directing this to me?  I don't own any type of gun.  Attempting to bait or keep an argument going?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 225

@ChasKy53 

IMO, you are entitled to your opinion.  I believe that there is no harm in responsible owners possessing them, and am not the one keeping this going.  Especially since I've had nothing to do with any form of firearms for over 40 years.  Someone else is obsessed with them.

I am fully aware that the military version had a capability of selecting automatic or semi-automatic fire. Been there done that.

The bottom line is that AR-15s is owned by millions of responsible Americans, but every time some character goes off the deep end, there is mass hysteria to 'think of the children' and ban firearms.  There is still the Second Amendment and that there is millions of responsible gun owners in the country.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

And yes, there are those who use AR15s to hunt wild hogs, of which we have plenty here in Texas. 

The "wild hog defense" is ridiculous at best.  Anyone needing the magazine capacity of an AR-15 to be able to kill a wild hog is so poor at shooting that they should not be allowed to own any firearm, let alone an AR-15.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 225

tex says "Why do you care about what Tex thinks or what the laws are in Texas? Seems that they have enough problems in NY despite all your laws!"

-------------------------

And tex goes round and round and round with the same questions. I have answered that same question numerous times. You and rk9152 love to ask questions (busy work assignments) , then evade the questions you are asked.

Cute tactic !!

Our Brave Law Enforcement and Public in Responsible States with common sense Gun Laws will have to risk their lives a little bit more because of the 30-50 Round Military Style Assault Weapons that are purchased in Irresponsible States like Texas , that allow Anyone to fill their trunks full of Assault Weapons at Gun Shows and Private Sales with NO Background Checks.

Those Weapons of Mass Destruction are then transported into Common Sense Gun Law States like New York and sold to Criminals and Gangs , who shoot up our streets and Kill the innocent.

So Responsible States like New York are left cleaning up the Carnage.

Sounds Fair and Reasonable huh tex and you ask why I care what States like Texas do ?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 225

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So what !  It's still an "assault weapon", capable of killing dozens in a matter of seconds.

The AR15 is not considered an assault weapon.

• AR-15-style rifles are NOT “assault weapons” or “assault rifles.” An assault rifle is fully automatic — a machine gun. Automatic firearms have been severely restricted from civilian ownership since 1934.
  • If someone calls an AR-15-style rifle an “assault weapon,” he or she either supports banning these firearms (my emphasis) or does not understand their function and sporting use, or both. Please correct them. “Assault weapon” is a political term created by California anti-gun legislators to ban some semi-automatic rifles there in the 1980s.
  • AR-15-style rifles look like military rifles, such as the M-16, but function like other semi-automatic civilian sporting firearms, firing only one round with each pull of the trigger.

https://www.ar15goa.com/about/the-ar-15-rifle/

According to your definition of 'assault rifles', any rifle capable of semi-automatic firing could be considered an assault rifle.  Looking at the posts on this forum about assault rifles, I go along with the definition above from the link.

Without a doubt it is also a 'follow-the-leader' thingy so as to stay in the liberal 'crowd'.

Say what you want, it means little to me.  IMO the AR-15 is indeed an assault "style" weapon (even though it is semi-automatic) because it is capable of killing dozens of human beings in a matter if seconds. If you don't consider killing dozens of human beings in seconds as being  an assault, you have my sympathy.  Many other semi-automatic weapons that have smaller round capacities and cannot kill dozens of people in seconds I do not consider to be assault "style".  Your opinion and a defined definition requiring them to be fully automatic means nothing to me, they are still capable of killing dozens of people in a matter of seconds, IMO the magazine's capacity needs to be restricted to a limited number of rounds to not be considered to be an assault weapon. AND ..... they can be too easliy converted to fully automatic.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 225

@mandm84 wrote:

You said to hunt Wild Hogs. As far as owning a 30-50 Round Assault Rifle , just ask the Mass Murderer's still alive in our Prison System. It's to Kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time.

First, you seem determined to keep this agoing and agoing just like the Energizer Bunny.

Second, those 'mass murderers' are the extreme exception rather than the rule as a 30-50 round rifle would depend upon the magazine, and not everyone has those large capacity magazines, especially considering the cost of the rounds.

Third, there is a lot of wild hogs here in Texas as I have posted before.  There are many who enjoys going out hunting them for sport and meat, and there are many who kill them just to get rid of as many as they can.

And contrary to some who has posted here that the AR-15 isn't conducive to deer and hog hunting, here is an article that says otherwise.

Still sort of confusing why you continue making these posts directed to me since I've indicated over and over that I haven't owned, or handled any firearms for the past 40 years.  But just because I don't doesn't mean that I'm going to judge anyone that does. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 225

@mandm84 wrote:

Why do you care about what Tex thinks or what the laws are in Texas? Seems that they have enough problems in NY despite all your laws!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors