Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

NRA sued by NY AG over wide-ranging fraud and self-dealing

Once it became public that Wayne LaPierre had purchased $250K of clothes and arranged a $17 MILLION(!!) golden parachute for himself, it was only a matter of time before the hammer came down. LaPierre got Ollie North tossed as president when he asked for a sweeping internal review of LaPierre's dealings. That became VERY public at the NRA’s annual meeting in Indianapolis. 

 

The chief executive of the National Rifle Association and several top lieutenants engaged in a decades-long pattern of fraud to raid the coffers of the powerful gun rights group for personal gain, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday by the New York attorney general, draining $64 million from the nonprofit in just three years.

In her lawsuit, Attorney General Letitia James called for the dissolution of the NRA and the removal of CEO Wayne LaPierre from the leadership post he has held for the past 39 years, saying he and others used the group’s funds to finance a luxury lifestyle.

She also asked a New York court to force LaPierre and three key deputies to repay NRA members for the ill-gotten funds and inflated salaries that her investigation found they took.

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nra-lapierre-ny-attorney-general/2020/08/06/8e389794-d794-11... 

Honored Social Butterfly

And yet mass killers chose assault rifles like the AK47 and AR15 ... for their easy quick trigger pull, high velocity deadly rounds and ability to easily make them full automatic!!!

 

They choose ak47s ar15s NOT because of the "easy quick trigger pull" or high velocity rounds but because they look like the military (look a likes) and the 30 or more capacity magazine!  Many other rifles have higher and more deadly rounds and are more accurate.  Most handguns have 17 or less rounds of ammo and way less accuracy.  You are never going to outlaw guns after calling for no police or defunding police but with stronger police, you may have a chance at limiting guns.

 

My personal suggestion: limit your "strawman" phrase as well as "a bogus baseless claim" because YOU overuse these phrases all the time!

0 Kudos
388 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

And yet mass killers chose assault rifles like the AK47 and AR15 ... for their easy quick trigger pull, high velocity deadly rounds and ability to easily make them full automatic!!!

 

They choose ak47s ar15s NOT because of the "easy quick trigger pull" or high velocity rounds but because they look like the military (look a likes) and the 30 or more capacity magazine!  Many other rifles have higher and more deadly rounds and are more accurate.  Most handguns have 17 or less rounds of ammo and way less accuracy.  You are never going to outlaw guns after calling for no police or defunding police but with stronger police, you may have a chance at limiting guns.

Does nothing to change the fact that weapons designed for military use do not belong in the hands of civilians.

BTW .... The high capacity magazines should also be banned!

 

My personal suggestion: limit your "strawman" phrase as well as "a bogus baseless claim" because YOU overuse these phrases all the time!

They were used where they applied.

As such, the better "suggestion" would be to stop making "straw man arguments" and "bogus baseless claims"!


 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
336 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Does nothing to change the fact that weapons designed for military use do not belong in the hands of civilians.

 

They're NOT in the hands of civilians. You don't know what's a civilian weapon and what's military.   Another "strawman" argument?

Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Does nothing to change the fact that weapons designed for military use do not belong in the hands of civilians.

 

They're NOT in the hands of civilians.

Wrong .... Assault rifles like the AK47 and AR15 ARE in the hands of civilians!!!

 

You don't know what's a civilian weapon and what's military.   

Wrong AGAIN ... A military weapon is a mass killing weapon that was designed for military use .... like the AK47 assault rifle and the AR15 assault rifle that was designed to counter the AK47!!!

 

 

Another "strawman" argument?

Nope ... Look up its definition before attempting to apply it.


 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
232 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Wrong AGAIN ... A military weapon is a mass killing weapon that was designed for military use .... like the AK47 assault rifle and the AR15 assault rifle that was designed to counter the AK47!!!

 

 

You my friend are wrong again.  How do you manage to be so wrong each and every time?

 

The "AR" in AR-15 does NOT stand for "Assault Rifle"

This is one that you'll hear from time to time. There will be a discussion around the AR-15 and whether it's a military grade assault rifle and someone will say "It's right there in the name! AR stands for Assault Rifle!" Nope. AR actually stands for ArmaLite Rifle.

ArmaLite is the company that first produced the rifle that was designed for military use. ArmaLite sold the patent to Colt and their patent expired in the 70s. By that time the AR-15 name was synonymous with the civilian version of the rifle, so other companies began producing their own versions of the rifle.

The AR-15 is NOT based on the M-16, in fact, it's the other way around

ArmaLite produced their first AR-15 in 1959. the first M-16 was produced in 1964. It was an improved model of the AR-15 with selective fire capability, meaning it could be switched from semi-automatic to 3-round burst or fully automatic. 

The AR-15 is not an assault rifle

By definition, an assault rifle is a rifle with selective fire capability. This is a feature the AR-15 does not have unless illegally modified.

 

https://connectingvets.radio.com/articles/you-have-gun-debate-make-sure-your-terminology-correct

Honored Social Butterfly

In 1956, ArmaLite designed a lightweight selective fire rifle for military use and designated it the ArmaLite Rifle model 15, or AR-15.[12][13] Due to financial problems and limitations in terms of manpower and production capacity, ArmaLite sold the design and the AR-15 trademark along with the ArmaLite AR-10 to Colt's Manufacturing Company in 1959.[14] In 1964, Colt began selling its own version with an improved semi-automatic design known as the Colt AR-15.[15] After Colt's patents expired in 1977, an active marketplace emerged for other manufacturers to produce and sell their own semi-automatic AR-15 style rifles.[1] Some versions of the AR-15 were classified as "assault weapons" and banned under the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act in 1994 within the United States. This act expired in 2004.[2][16]

0 Kudos
152 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:Using your definition, all semi-automatic weapons (rifles/handguns) and revolvers would be not allowed.  A semi-automatic rifle/handgun fires exactly one shot for each trigger pull (for liberals).  There are more than 300 million weapons like you want outlawed in America's hands and growing every day since Democrats want defunding the police and riots on the daily schedule!  Any of these guns COULD be used for mass killing!

 


And yet, in developed countries who have reasonable gun laws, the situation you describe does not exist.  Sure, it will take a few years to get the guns off the streets.  Will they be replaced? Well, if the profit per ounce of a revolver becomes equal to that of smuggled cocaine, perhaps. Otherwise, why smuggle things that are hard to hide and have a lower profit margin?  

 

Finally, you put a law in place that says unlawful gun ownership is a felony punishable by a $500 fine and/or a 6 months in jail.  Too light?  That is the point. The felony conviction will scare anyone with a professional license to lose and it won't be worth the criminal fighting the conviction. They lose the firearm and spend a short time in jail. Sooner or later, those six month sentences start to add up. 

0 Kudos
437 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

https://missoulian.com/news/local/gianforte-nra-should-move-to-montana/article_ba60ac53-27db-556c-80...


Congressman Greg Gianforte invited the National Rifle Association to relocate to Montana, following efforts of attorneys general in New York and Washington, D.C. to dissolve the organization.

“As a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association (NRA), I was frustrated to see far-left activists and elected officials in New York, Virginia, and Washington, D.C., attack the NRA and law-abiding gun owners across America who value our Second Amendment rights. While these progressive politicians seek to trample on our constitutional rights and posture to shut down our nation’s largest, longest-standing defender of our Second Amendment rights, I invite the NRA to relocate to Montana,” Gianforte wrote in a letter Friday to Wayne LaPierre, the NRA’s executive vice president and CEO. The NRA is headquartered in Fairfax, Virginia.

"When she ran for attorney general of New York in 2018, Letitia James said the NRA is a 'terrorist organization,' and her politically motivated lawsuit serves only to advance her political ambitions and raise her profile among anti-gun, left-wing activists," Hall, in an email, said of New York's attorney general prosecuting the case.

===========================================================

Yes Montana will take the NRA.

0 Kudos
364 Views
11
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:



Yes Montana will take the NRA.


A highly corrupt organization .... very telling about Montana!

 

 

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
346 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2:   Yes Montana will take the NRA.

 

 

Perhaps you can clear up a mystery for me. Why are you supporting the NRA when it's a self-dealing corrupt organization that's stealing from it's members? If people want an organization for gun owners, fine, why not start one that promotes the interests of gun owners responsibly and honestly? I see no good reason to support the crooks running the NRA as it is.

Honored Social Butterfly

Panjandrum posted..

Perhaps you can clear up a mystery for me. Why are you supporting the NRA when it's a self-dealing corrupt organization that's stealing from it's members? If people want an organization for gun owners, fine, why not start one that promotes the interests of gun owners responsibly and honestly? I see no good reason to support the crooks running the NRA as it is.

==========================================================
Thanks for asking.


Some of us stick with what we feel is right on a issue....do you? The NRA is for protecting the second amendment. I applaud them for doing so.

The NRA is going through problems at this time. That is not good but why would I not support them as this will pass?....may organizations have gone through similar issues.

I think the gun hatting AG in NY has better things to do..like cracking down on crimes in NY.

The NRA has many things going .... like classes in gun safety but you will not gear that from the gun hatters...many that have never had the fun of gun owner ship and the sport of target shooting.


FYI..

Second Amendment to the United States Constitution
Constitutional amendment
Description
DescriptionThe Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects the individual right to keep and bear arms. It was ratified on December 15, 1791, along with nine other articles of the Bill of Rights. Wikipedia

 

 

What does the NRA do?
The National Rifle Association of America (NRA) is a gun rights advocacy group based in the United States. Founded to advance rifle marksmanship, the modern NRA continues to teach firearm safety and competency. The organization also publishes several magazines, and sponsors competitive marksmanship events.
 
 
0 Kudos
337 Views
8
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2:   Some of us stick with what we feel is right on a issue....do you? The NRA is for protecting the second amendment. I applaud them for doing so.

 

 

 

You missed my point. I asked why not ditch the NRA because of the mismanagement and rampant corruption and start a new organization that has all you like about the NRA without the problems? I don't see the point of sticking with a group of people that has shafted the members. Get rid of the grifters and start fresh.

0 Kudos
321 Views
7
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Panjandrum wrote:

KidBoy2:   Some of us stick with what we feel is right on a issue....do you? The NRA is for protecting the second amendment. I applaud them for doing so.

 

 

 

You missed my point. I asked why not ditch the NRA because of the mismanagement and rampant corruption and start a new organization that has all you like about the NRA without the problems? I don't see the point of sticking with a group of people that has shafted the members. Get rid of the grifters and start fresh.


Sheople.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Panjandrum posted..

You missed my point. I asked why not ditch the NRA because of the mismanagement and rampant corruption and start a new organization that has all you like about the NRA without the problems? I don't see the point of sticking with a group of people that has shafted the members. Get rid of the grifters and start fresh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I answered your post.
0 Kudos
314 Views
5
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:
Panjandrum posted..

You missed my point. I asked why not ditch the NRA because of the mismanagement and rampant corruption and start a new organization that has all you like about the NRA without the problems? I don't see the point of sticking with a group of people that has shafted the members. Get rid of the grifters and start fresh.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I answered your post.

No ... You completely evaded it.

 

You stated what the NRA should stand for instead of what it actually, really stands for today ..... mass corruption and embezzlement!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
387 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2:  
I answered your post. 

 

 

Ok, if that was your answer it's fair for me to conclude that you are fine with their corruption and criminal behavior. Right?

Honored Social Butterfly

Panjandrum posted...

Ok, if that was your answer it's fair for me to conclude that you are fine with their corruption and criminal behavior. Right?

===================================================
I answer that in my post.

Got any reasonable questions or are you trying to get your post count up?
0 Kudos
359 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:
Panjandrum posted...

Ok, if that was your answer it's fair for me to conclude that you are fine with their corruption and criminal behavior. Right?

===================================================
I answer that in my post.
No ... You didn't KidBoy2.  You evaded it!

Got any reasonable questions or are you trying to get your post count up?

The question you refuse to answer was very reasonable.


 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
406 Views
0
Report
Moderator
Moderator

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

You are free to express your opinions, but you must do so in a way that respects the opinions of others.


Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Honored Social Butterfly

The NRA is nothing but a corrupt and treasonous shill for the weapons manufacturers. Dismantling them is a good thing for America, in reality they could give a hoot about any citizen's Constitutional Rights. They are only about money and corruption.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

And now it's the turn for families of NRA victims to send THEIR thoughts and prayers ..... hoping that the NY AG is able to tear down this murderous, terrorist, crooked organization!

 

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Looks like LaPierre(sp) and his cronies will serve time for their misdeeds, but even if NY manages to dissolve their Corporate status, the NRAGOP will rise again. Since the membership has ONE issue, most will join the new incantation, but since the old one seems to be in hock up to its eyeballs, not sure what political clout it will wield, at least until they can dupe the membership out of more millions.

 

END THE SLAUGHTER OF INNOCENTS

BAN CIVILIAN OWNERSHIP OF MILITARY GRADE WEAPONS!

Honored Social Butterfly

The Regressive talking heads are claiming this will INCREASE NRA membership, and the ToadPOTUS said the group should just move to Texas, BUT seems they'll have new leadership if/when they do.

Honored Social Butterfly

So NRA members were not only conned by Trump ... they were also conned by their own organization!!!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

would also love a thorough Congressional investigation to see how deeply Russia has penetrated the NRA as well. Remember last year they got a Russian woman, whose name I cannot recall.
Honored Social Butterfly


@Tom5678 wrote:
would also love a thorough Congressional investigation to see how deeply Russia has penetrated the NRA as well. Remember last year they got a Russian woman, whose name I cannot recall.

The NRA also funneled Russian money to Trump's 2016 campaign!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

One thing for all of us to keep in mind on this. Want to bet just about all of the Trump supporters we know and talk to are members of the NRA.

They say the 3 or 4 top people on the NRA took millions of their money and used it for themselves.

Lets see how they react to the leaders stealing their money.  I would bet they do not have a problem with it.  Lets face it they support Trump and has been doing the same thing to them for years and they love it.

Honored Social Butterfly

Heard this evening that the nra cannot just up and move to Texas...gee, too bad. And trump supporters probably will not care...way too far gone on the kool aid! And at least 6 months ago, heard about wayne tapping the coffers. 

Guns, booze, and racism...how could life  be better for them!

Honored Social Butterfly

Do not forget the NRA laundered money for Russia in to the Trump campaign.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png