Honored Social Butterfly

NRA sued by NY AG over wide-ranging fraud and self-dealing

Once it became public that Wayne LaPierre had purchased $250K of clothes and arranged a $17 MILLION(!!) golden parachute for himself, it was only a matter of time before the hammer came down. LaPierre got Ollie North tossed as president when he asked for a sweeping internal review of LaPierre's dealings. That became VERY public at the NRA’s annual meeting in Indianapolis. 

The chief executive of the National Rifle Association and several top lieutenants engaged in a decades-long pattern of fraud to raid the coffers of the powerful gun rights group for personal gain, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday by the New York attorney general, draining $64 million from the nonprofit in just three years.

In her lawsuit, Attorney General Letitia James called for the dissolution of the NRA and the removal of CEO Wayne LaPierre from the leadership post he has held for the past 39 years, saying he and others used the group’s funds to finance a luxury lifestyle.

She also asked a New York court to force LaPierre and three key deputies to repay NRA members for the ill-gotten funds and inflated salaries that her investigation found they took.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/nra-lapierre-ny-attorney-general/2020/08/06/8e389794-d794-11... 

Honored Social Butterfly

I have often thought we should go back to the original intent of the framers of the Constitution.  That anyone who wanted to own a black powder muzzle loaded rifle could do so as long as they were willing to join a militia organized and managed by a state government. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Anything can happen but from the looks of the polls on who will control the Senate shortly and the polls on the changing views of Americans on gun legislation, I suspect we will see some new regulations coming out of the next Congress.  As the subject of this thread points out, the NRA will be in no position to exert ANY leverage this time. 

The new laws will almost certainly be written to ban firearms based on generic feature tests. Generic feature tests—emphasizing high capacity and enhanced control during firing—are intended to identify assault weapons based on the military features that enhance a weapon’s lethality. Generic feature tests requiring a weapon to have only one of a list of features on the list. 

The new ban will probably not have an automatic expiration date. In short, as the Who once said "We won't be fooled again".

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

The NRA swindled millions from its members? Fine by me; no one deserves it more.

If anyone knows a gun rights organization in favor of closing the gun show and online loopholes I'll join it.

Nobody knew health care could be so complicated.
Donald Trump
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I think gun owners should stay with the NRA.  And then we pray the lawsuits will be successful and the ship will sink. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I think gun owners should stay with the NRA.  And then we pray the lawsuits will be successful and the ship will sink. 

There are thousands of legal gun owners with carry permits that don't belong to NRA - I am one of them.  Keep your lawless liberals out of my town.

Honored Social Butterfly

Our thoughts and prayers go with WayneOur thoughts and prayers go with Wayne

Silver Conversationalist

When you purchase a gun from a dealer, a background check is mandatory that checks the above plus the three day wait period to obtain the gun (unless you have a carry permit).

----------------------------------------------------

Buy a gun online right now. No background check. Buy a gun at a gun show. No background check. Now that you have learned this you might change your mind.

Donald Trump
Honored Social Butterfly

Loulit posted...

Buy a gun online right now. No background check. Buy a gun at a gun show. No background check. Now that you have learned this you might change your mind.

===============================================================

https://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/gun-show-firearms-bankground-checks-state-laws-map...

Known as the "gun show loophole," most states do not require background checks for firearms purchased at gun shows from private individuals -- federal law only requires licensed dealers to conduct checks.

Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, federal law clearly defined private sellers as anyone who sold no more than four firearms per year. But the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act lifted that restriction and loosely defined private sellers as people who do not rely on gun sales as the principal way of obtaining their livelihood.

Some states have opted to go further than federal law by requiring background checks at gun shows for any gun transaction, federal license or not. The majority of these such states require background checks at the point of transfer for all firearms. Alternatively, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Nebraska, New Jersey and North Carolina regulate purchases by prohibiting private dealers from selling to individuals who do not have licenses/permits, which they obtain following background checks. Some states' requirements are limited only to handgun purchases.

Even in states that do not require background checks of private vendors, the venue hosting the event may require it as a matter of policy. In other cases, private vendors may opt to have a third-party licensed dealer run a background check even though it may not be required by law.

Last Updated: January 2016

Gun Show Background Check Laws

////////////////////////

The map which I could not get to copy shows that there are states that require gun checks at gun shows...I look for more to do so.

You will never be able to control all sales. Like two people that are talking in a bar and agree to a private sale.

Gun Show Background Check Laws

Not required

Required for handgun sales

Required for all purchases

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NRA? So she hates the NRA and she is using taxpayers money to go after how the NRA spends their money?

I just think there are many sectors in the NY Government that are spending taxpayers money were she should be using her time investigating.

Another thread that is so much to ado about nothing...that is getting to be typical of this board.

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

NRA? So she hates the NRA and she is using taxpayers money to go after how the NRA spends their money?
Not spend it .... EMBEZZLE IT KidBoy2!!!

I just think there are many sectors in the NY Government that are spending taxpayers money were she should be using her time investigating.
And she is! ... As exhibited by her investigating the corrupt NRA!!!

Another thread that is so much to ado about nothing...that is getting to be typical of this board.
NOTHING?!!!

From the topic's title ....
The chief executive of the National Rifle Association and several top lieutenants engaged in a decades-long pattern of fraud to raid the coffers of the powerful gun rights group for personal gain, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday by the New York attorney general, draining $64 million from the nonprofit in just three years.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2: 

It's beyond me why anyone would support these grifters. Do you have any idea what they've been up to?

https://www.yorkdispatch.com/story/news/2020/08/06/new-york-attorney-general-sues-put-nra-out-busine...

Social Butterfly

IMO, this is just political nonsense and prior election smear tactics.  So what's new, from both parties really.  However, New York seems to have a lot of crazy people in their system.  Governor, Mayor and now AG...who or what is next. lol  To even consider getting rid of the NRA is just more liberal/democratic insanity.  

I  see some people still seem to believe that "guns kill people". I find that odd from adults. 

Guns vs Drunk drivers.png

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

IMO, this is just political nonsense and prior election smear tactics.  So what's new, from both parties really.  However, New York seems to have a lot of crazy people in their system.  Governor, Mayor and now AG...who or what is next. lol  To even consider getting rid of the NRA is just more liberal/democratic insanity.  

I  see some people still seem to believe that "guns kill people". I find that odd from adults. 

Yes and crack does not make people smoke it either but that does not stop us from having laws against ownership. 

Remember, this is about the completely corrupt culture of the NRA. Not necessarily its message (which is insane).  The facts uncovered prior to the lawsuit show a "gimme" culture of greed and self interest.  The problem the top levels of the NRA have now is the inability to follow the bylaws of the organization and the laws af NYS.  Not the fact that its mission is to create death and destruction. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

IMO, this is just political nonsense and prior election smear tactics. 

The identified mass corruption screams otherwise!

So what's new, from both parties really.  However, New York seems to have a lot of crazy people in their system. 

While foreign to Trump supporters, eliminating corruption is not crazy!

Governor, Mayor and now AG...who or what is next. lol  To even consider getting rid of the NRA is just more liberal/democratic insanity.  

No .... It's "getting rid of" corruption!

People kill people ... and they use guns to do it!

CARS WERE NOT DESIGNED TO KILL .... GUNS ARE!!!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

@sunluvngal wrote:

You do know they have documented that the leadership of the NRA over the last few years have taken about 50 million from the NRA for their own uses. Yes they stole this from the NRA. Now you want to tell us this is nonsense, and the people who discovered this are crazy. You do know the NRA money laundered something like 30 million for Russia into the Trump Campaign. There was a Russian who made a donation to the NRA. The NRA then up it usual campaign contribution by that amount to the Trump campaign. These people will go to court as part of what the NY AG is doing.

What I find odd from adults is when they condone criminal activity.

You want to solve the gun problem. You cut the supply of guns. Simple.

You better look for a new tag line because thinking with Trump and his crew is in very short supply.

Honored Social Butterfly

how about people with guns kill people? Thats how I approach it, and we have too much of both!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

how about people with guns kill people? Thats how I approach it, and we have too much of both!

Too many liberals have guns and guns in liberal hands spells death and the liberals want less police and no guns!

Silver Conversationalist

2. TAKE OUR GUNS

---------------------------------------

If you're a felon, no gun for you. If you're psycho, no gun for you. Which of those categories fits you? If neither no one is taking your guns from you. Even if you fit one no one will take your guns from you. The idea is to stop selling guns to felons and nut jobs from now on.

And no one is trying take your freedom. Don't flatter yourself. No one is even thinking about you and your freedom. Keep it, sell it, knit oriental rugs with it. Whatever. 

Donald Trump
Honored Social Butterfly

If you're a felon, no gun for you. If you're psycho, no gun for you.

When you purchase a gun from a dealer, a background check is mandatory that checks the above plus the three day wait period to obtain the gun (unless you have a carry permit).

Periodic Contributor

Democrats want to

1. Take our money

2. TAKE OUR GUNS

3. Take our freedom!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png