Honored Social Butterfly

NM Civil Guard Shoots at Protesters

Police detain armed militia members after man is shot at Albuquerque protest

WG4FLIX2Z5AM3FYEAGIAUUD2HQ.jpg

Protesters in Albuquerque wrapped a chain around the neck of a bronze statue and began tugging, chanting “Tear it down,” shortly before sunset on Monday. Their efforts to pull down a monument of Spanish conquistador Juan de Oñate suddenly stopped as four shots rang out.

Most people instinctively turned toward the noise, videos from the scene show. A few screamed. Just yards away, a group of militia men sporting militarylike garb and carrying semiautomatic rifles formed a protective circle around the gunman.

The gunshots, which left one man in critical but stable condition, have set off a cascade of public outcry denouncing the unregulated militia’s presence and the shooting, although police have yet to announce an arrest or describe exactly what happened. The victim is also unidentified.

“The heavily armed individuals who flaunted themselves at the protest, calling themselves a ‘civil guard,’ were there for one reason: To menace protesters, to present an unsanctioned show of unregulated force,” New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham (D) said in a statement. “To menace the people of New Mexico with weaponry — with an implicit threat of violence — is on its face unacceptable; that violence did indeed occur is unspeakable.”

Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller (D) said the statue would now be speedily removed as an “urgent matter of public safety” until authorities determine a next step.

“The shooting tonight was a tragic, outrageous and unacceptable act of violence and it has no place in our city,” Keller said in a statement. “Our diverse community will not be deterred by acts meant to divide or silence us. Our hearts go out [to] the victim, his family and witnesses whose lives were needlessly threatened tonight.”

A look at the history of the statues being attacked by protesters worldwide

Attacks on statues of slavers, Confederate generals and others reflect the symbolic place they hold worldwide in the history of and fight against racism. (Alexa Juliana Ard/The Washington Post)

Recent protests against Oñate statues in New Mexico mirror similar calls to tear down Confederate monuments amid a rise in Black Lives Matter demonstrations following the death of George Floyd, the man killed after a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck for more than eight minutes.

In the hours leading up to the violence on Monday, protesters faced off with members of an armed militia that calls itself the New Mexico Civil Guard and counterprotesters toting “All lives matter” signs.

Simon Romero@viaSimonRomero

Militia gathering at Oñate statue in Albuquerque ahead of protest. Incredibly menacing & intimidating. They say they’re with a group called “New Mexico Civil Guard”

One group sought to tear down a monument to Oñate, a 16th-century despot who massacred indigenous people. The other set out as self-designated protectors of the statue, creating a heavily armed presence at the park in Albuquerque’s historic Old Town. Aside from a few small scuffles over signs near the monument, the protest had largely been peaceful, though tense at times.

Megan Abundis@meganrabundis

All members of this armed New Mexico Civil Guard stepped up to the statue and protestors. Now chanting “go home racists”

Megan Abundis@meganrabundis

Things just intensified more. Still no police. @KOB4

Then, a white  in a blue T-shirt appeared to rile the crowd, according to video obtained by KOB4. People erupted in shouts, and the man took a few steps back. A masked protester swung a skateboard and struck him in the shoulder. The man back-pedaled out of the crowd but continued to exchange shouts with protesters.

Someone in the video encouraged people to follow the man and get his license plate number.

Several people followed him, and one tackled him to the ground. As he tried to stand back up and three people tried to hit him again, the man in blue pulled a gun and fired four shots, striking one man and scattering the crowd.

In a second video that captured the moments following the shooting, the gunman sat in the middle of a road as the New Mexico Civil Guard militia members formed a circle around him. One man carrying a semiautomatic rifle, camouflage fatigues and a military-style helmet kicked the handgun away from the man and stood with his foot on top of the weapon.

Police responded to the scene with tear gas and stun grenades to force the crowd back. Officers detained several members of the militia group, according to reporters and witnesses at the scene. Video showed officers placing the apparent gunman into a cruiser.

Police have not released any information about the suspected shooter or said whether they believe he has any connection to the armed militia.

The militia, which identified itself to a New York Times reporter covering the protest Monday, has a controversial history. The right-wing group has repeatedly shown up at Black Lives Matter protests in recent weeks with guns and militarylike garb.

On Facebook, the group has shared materials encouraging people to arm themselves, promoted military training on infantry tactics and “ambushing,” and shared multiple posts opposing the leveling of monuments to Confederate figures in the South and Oñate in New Mexico. Members of the group recently told the Eastern New Mexico News their aim was to protect businesses from damage during protests. They claimed they had been in contact with police and were following guidance given to them by officials.

Militias like the New Mexico Civil Guard and other armed, far-right counterprotesters have been a controversial presence at Black Lives Matter protests across the United States. At an Albuquerque protest earlier this month, video of police talking to an armed militia group spurred allegations that officers were coordinating with the group in an official capacity, although police denied the claim.

At least one New Mexico lawmaker viewed the militia’s consistent presence at protests as suspicious enough to warrant further inquiry. Sen. Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.) called on the Justice Department to investigate the shooting Monday night.

“This is not the first report of heavily armed civilian militias appearing at protests around New Mexico in recent weeks. These extremists cannot be allowed to silence peaceful protests or inflict violence,” Heinrich said on Twitter on Monday night

Some critics have drawn contrasts between police response to largely peaceful and unarmed Black Lives Matter protests and the heavily armed, militia-led demonstrations against coronavirus restrictions in April and May. Monday’s shooting also led some critics to note that the armed militia members and alleged shooter were taken into custody by police without incident, but the Black Lives Matter protests are responding to incidents where police have shot and killed unarmed black men.

“Notice how calmly they’re all being detained,” former housing secretary Julián Castro tweeted Monday night. “Don’t tell me George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks and Eric Garner — who did not harm anybody — couldn’t be treated differently.”

Meanwhile, the chief of police vowed to investigate any group that sought to stoke violence at the protest.

“We are receiving reports about vigilante groups possibly instigating this violence,” Albuquerque Police Chief Michael Geier said in a statement. “If this is true [we] will be holding them accountable to the fullest extent of the law, including federal hate group designation and prosecution.”

Police detain armed militia members after man is shot at Albuquerque protest 

I'm pretty sure this is NOT what the framers had in mind when the wrote the SECOND amendment of the US Constitution,

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

The FAR-Right groups are freaking out - if they lose their patron saints in the WH regime, they will all have to go back into their hidey-holes.    Some of them seem to possibly comprehend that the Black Lives Matter events are overwhelming them and the action going on in one state is making people aware of their presence in other states.     

Much like the local police and sheriffs who have gotten away with lies about them killing Black Americans - they are FINALLY afraid of losing their jobs, which will happen.   

What the RW seem to misunderstand or not comprehend is that people who attend BLM rallies and events such as the one in ABQ are attended not just by Black Americans but by many Americans who are disgusted to see these wannabee soldiers and their antics and penchant for violence against them.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .

a lot of Police feel above the "Law", they feel that they can hurt whomever they want to and not face any consequences!!! Its past the time for Police offices who do wrong to be brought to justice just like every other human! They should not be a superior!
Honored Social Butterfly

@OliviaM454169 wrote:
a lot of Police feel above the "Law", they feel that they can hurt whomever they want to and not face any consequences!!! Its past the time for Police offices who do wrong to be brought to justice just like every other human! They should not be a superior!

You are right, OliviaM, but that's also true with militia's and undisciplined people who "play army" on the weekends.....

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The New Mexico GOP condemned the shooting...........until they found out it was perpetrated by one of their City Council Candidates and they it was all unicorns and butterflies. 

Honored Social Butterfly

“We are receiving reports about vigilante groups possibly instigating this violence,” Albuquerque Police Chief Michael Geier said in a statement. “If this is true [we] will be holding them accountable to the fullest extent of the law, including federal hate group designation and prosecution.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's what it looked like to me. He knew he was armed. He knew his friends were heavily armed. I think he sized up the situation and realized the protesters were likely unarmed. He deliberately got into a scuffle by the statues.

New Mexico's Stand Your Ground

New Mexico has a duty to retreat law, before force for self defense can be used.

That's exactly what he did. It looked to me like the guy in the blue shirt antagonized the protesters, then deliberately retreated, at the same time allowing the protesters to catch up to him. He deliberately allowed a scuffle to ensue so he can shoot and plead "Stand your ground".

That's how it looked to me on the videos. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gordyfl wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's what it looked like to me. He knew he was armed. He knew his friends were heavily armed. I think he sized up the situation and realized the protesters were likely unarmed. He deliberately got into a scuffle by the statues.

New Mexico's Stand Your Ground

New Mexico has a duty to retreat law, before force for self defense can be used.

That's exactly what he did. It looked to me like the guy in the blue shirt antagonized the protesters, then deliberately retreated, at the same time allowing the protesters to catch up to him. He deliberately allowed a scuffle to ensue so he can shoot and plead "Stand your ground".

That's how it looked to me on the videos. 

Looks can be deceiving, and never used to put forwarded a plan of action before you know all the details. At this point we do not know the full story. It seems the Abq. police force is not clean in this as they had undercover officers in the crowd who did not act or at the start notify higher ups. The State has taken over the investigation, and the DA is going after what they did. So far they can not prove the shooter is part of the vigilante group. The person has been charged with a number of crimes but not the shooting yet as it is to early per the DA.

Let the experts handle the NM Stand your Ground law as you nor I were not present.

This vigilante group is far right and backs Trump. It has been present at all the demonstrations so far. We now see this same sort of thing in a lot of other States. Mich. is a good example. They are Trumpers so end Trump and you can end the problem with new laws.

Honored Social Butterfly

Looks can be deceiving, and never used to put forwarded a plan of action before you know all the details. At this point we do not know the full story. It seems the Abq. police force is not clean in this as they had undercover officers in the crowd who did not act or at the start notify higher ups. The State has taken over the investigation, and the DA is going after what they did. So far they can not prove the shooter is part of the vigilante group. The person has been charged with a number of crimes but not the shooting yet as it is to early per the DA.

Let the experts handle the NM Stand your Ground law as you nor I were not present.

This vigilante group is far right and backs Trump. It has been present at all the demonstrations so far. We now see this same sort of thing in a lot of other States. Mich. is a good example. They are Trumpers so end Trump and you can end the problem with new laws.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trumper or no Trumpers, I 'believe' he's going to use Stand Your Ground and, judging by the videos it's going to be a difficult case to prove one way or another. He even held out his hand a couple of times signaling to the protesters to back off. 

I think (emphasis 'think') he set up the protesters, which will be difficult to prove just by viewing the videos.

Now, if the Prosecution can find a witness to testify he had planned it....? 

Note: They don't 'necessarily' have to prove he was part of a vigilante group. He shot someone. He has to defend his actions.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@gordyfl wrote:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trumper or no Trumpers, I 'believe' he's going to use Stand Your Ground and, judging by the videos it's going to be a difficult case to prove one way or another. He even held out his hand a couple of times signaling to the protesters to back off. 

I think (emphasis 'think') he set up the protesters, which will be difficult to prove just by viewing the videos.

Now, if the Prosecution can find a witness to testify he had planned it....? 

Note: They don't 'necessarily' have to prove he was part of a vigilante group. He shot someone. He has to defend his actions.

He had attacked several people prior to the shooting, and they have the attacks on tape. After his last attack the crowd went after him to stop him from hurting more people. One person tried to stab him then he pulled a gun and fired. This is all on tape. He might very well try and use Stand your Ground. Time will tell. I say again at this time he has not been charged with the shooting.

If we want to end this type of thing we have to end Trump as that is the root cause. This fall we will have 2 people on the ballot to be President. Trump and Biden. Trump caused this. The one thing all can do to end the problem is vote Biden into office no matter what.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

This group has been at the protests for some time ago. I posted about them a few weeks ago. They are far right white supremacists, and for Trump. If you followed the news this evening you saw violence at 2 other rallies in CA where there was violence we know far right supremacists were the ones who did it as arrests have been made. One of them was posted about in here by Trump supporters telling us how the violence was caused by left wing protesters. Once again today they are proved wrong since it was the Trump crowd at work.

The shooter in NM ran for the ABQ. City Council as a law and order person, and lost. NM is an open carry state so the people who carry licensed  firearms are legal and nothing can be done until they do something, and they did last night. There is a special session of the NM legislature shortly and the Gov. says action will be taken on that. The Reb. gave that law to NM. 

I have a feeling you will find the same thing in every state with the far right Trump supporters. Trump wants to be full Dictator and these are his storm troopers. Read about Hitler he had the same thing. 

Trump and Hitler the same.

Honored Social Butterfly

This sounds alot like the group in the link that I posted in another thread...you have to listen to the audio, where they are screaming the nonsense:  ALM - which proves that they are really stupid and racist.  https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/gun-toting-trump-supporters-attack-george-floyd-protesters-in-rural...

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

@afisher wrote:

This sounds alot like the group in the link that I posted in another thread...you have to listen to the audio, where they are screaming the nonsense:  ALM - which proves that they are really stupid and racist.  https://www.rawstory.com/2020/06/gun-toting-trump-supporters-attack-george-floyd-protesters-in-rural...

From your link, afischer"!

“I was really scared because they were carrying guns and they were so aggressive,” said 36-year-old Andrea Dennis. “They were grabbing me and grabbing my mom and they just seemed to have no respect for the law.”

Sounds like the typical trump supporter...

Honored Social Butterfly

I suppose that next we will hear trump and barr tell us how these were members of Antifa, cleverly disguised as right wing militants. 
And Panj, great suggestion, give them their own playpen...and pass out free foolers to them!

Honored Social Butterfly

IMHO, groups like this one contain white supremacists and should be disbanded. Vigilantes, they remind me of lynch mobs with guns instead of ropes.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

Centristsin2010:   “The heavily armed individuals who flaunted themselves at the protest, calling themselves a ‘civil guard,’ were there for one reason: To menace protesters, to present an unsanctioned show of unregulated force,” New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan.

First thought: Who the H do these knuckledragging yahoos think they are?

Second thought: They may be allowed to come to a protest armed to the teeth, but they should be put in a designated area away from other protestors where they can wave their weapons and goose step, but they have no authority whatsoever to interfere with the others.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png