From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

NASA Has a Slave Colony on Mars

Message 1 of 1

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/facebook-says-infowars-valid-opinion-and-analysis-but-wh...

Facebook Says InfoWars, Which Reported That NASA Has a Slave Colony on Mars, Is a Valid Source of “Opinion and Analysis”

On Wednesday, Facebook held an event for reporters to discuss its efforts to prevent misinformation from spreading on its platform. At the event CNN’s Oliver Darcy asked why InfoWars—the notorious conspiracy site that, most infamously, has promoted claims that the Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax staged by child actors—was still allowed to maintain an official Facebook page. Here’s how the executive in charge of Facebook’s “News Feed” answered:

“I guess just for being false, that doesn’t violate the community standards,” Hegeman said, explaining that InfoWars has “not violated something that would result in them being taken down.”

Hegeman added, “I think part of the fundamental thing here is that we created Facebook to be a place where different people can have a voice. And different publishers have very different points of view.

Thursday, on Twitter, Darcy described Hegeman’s response as insufficient, to which Facebook responded with this doozy of an argument:

Oliver Darcy

@oliverdarcy

Facebook invited me to an event today where the company aimed to tout its commitment to fighting fake news and misinformation.

I asked them why InfoWars is still allowed on the platform.

I didn't get a good answer.http://money.cnn.com/2018/07/11/media/facebook-infowars/index.html 

Facebook

@facebook

We see Pages on both the left and the right pumping out what they consider opinion or analysis – but others call fake news. We believe banning these Pages would be contrary to the basic principles of free speech.

“Opinion or analysis”! The opinion and analysis that InfoWars has published or broadcast in recent months, for reference, includes a host’s claim that Hitler is still alive and a conversation between site founder Alex Jones and a guy who says NASA runs a child-slave colony on Mars.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors