Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: My county just got its first three cases of Coronavirus

Message 1 of 21

It's like Snowmaggedon on steroids in the stores.

Amazon and WalMart deliver groceries.

This is the most serious threat of a flu pandemic since 1918.

The virus spreads though human to human contact.

We can stop it with social distancing,  stay home if you can, avoid public places, avoid institutions, keep in mind children going to school can bring the virus home. Elderly are vulnerable, don't bring the virus home to them. Don't go to restaurants , bars, malls, sports events, concerts, rallies, don't fly on a plane, don't take a train or a subway, don't get on a ship.

If you must go out wash your hands a lot, don't touch your face, don't shake hands, if you cough wear a mask to protect other people, or use a tissue or your elbow.  Try not to use your hand for a cough or sneeze, if you do, wash your hands.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 21

It's like Snowmaggedon on steroids in the stores. 
0763EF7E-781C-4644-9F8A-EF5664BABBA5.jpeg

Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 21

@gruffstuff wrote:

And I have to listen to our County Executive talk today at 10am.   He's a flaming mess.   A leftist Trump in every sense of lack of management and disorganization.   I hope the County Health Officer is there.  He's much better at taking charge....

I do give props to Governor Hogan, even though he's not my favorite person.   He is organized.  He is communicative.   And we have a great public health system here. 

Well it's in DC, and everyone commutes in a fifty mile radius some go farther.  Fourteen day incubation, so it's been here two weeks.  DC to Delaware, Virgina, West Virgina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New Jersey. BWI is an international  airport with train / subway links.

I donb't see how it can be contained at this point, the horse is out of the barn.

I wonder when they're going to start calling it a pandemic.

This public health emergency has had a stink of politics from day one.

As of today, 2 in DC, 2 in (northern) VA.  VA has National (Reagan) and Dulles airports.  DC metro area (MD/VA) is a transient area, lot of travelers pass through and a lot of military.  The 1st confirmed Virginia case is a Marine at Ft. Belvoir.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 21

And I have to listen to our County Executive talk today at 10am.   He's a flaming mess.   A leftist Trump in every sense of lack of management and disorganization.   I hope the County Health Officer is there.  He's much better at taking charge....

I do give props to Governor Hogan, even though he's not my favorite person.   He is organized.  He is communicative.   And we have a great public health system here. 

Well it's in DC, and everyone commutes in a fifty mile radius some go farther.  Fourteen day incubation, so it's been here two weeks.  DC to Delaware, Virgina, West Virgina, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New Jersey. BWI is an international  airport with train / subway links.

I donb't see how it can be contained at this point, the horse is out of the barn.

I wonder when they're going to start calling it a pandemic.

This public health emergency has had a stink of politics from day one.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 21

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So you are in Maryland.

I am in Kentucky, the southern part, just above Tennessee. The virus has shown up now within an hour or so of where I am. I would bet it is here in my town now but not yet diagnosed. I have a compromised immune system from have ongoing cancer treatments since 2011. I just visited my oncologist at Vanderbilt University Hospital on Tuesday and was told to be very cautious.

Be safe.

You too. Here, we are being told this spreads through close contact like family members in house, or in hospitals. Stuff like regular office work contact isn't as bad, but it's a good idea to increase disinfection protocols for doorknobs and other surfaces. Clean the cell phone too. 

Stay safe.

I have been dealing with a compromised immune system for more than several years now and precautions have become habit. I even wear thin surgical type gloves to the grocery store and any department stores I go into, always remembering not to touch my face. With this virus surfacing now I will stay away from crowded places even more than I have been. I use sanitary wipes a lot, and have learned to not touch surfaces. As a result, I have taken ill for for close to a year now.  Thanks for your advice and concern and you stay saafe too.

That's great!  I wish I could learn not to touch my face.  It's hard!  Where I live, I went to get a coffee from Dunkin this morning, and the cashiers were all wearing gloves right now.  That will protect them, but not me.  I drove out to the beach house today, in Delaware, and the guy at McDonalds (getting another iced coffee) told me to use the touch screen to order.  What a difference a state makes...

My husband has diabetes and my youngest has asthma.  So I'm trying not to pick this thing up and possibly spread it to them....

Using the plastic surgical gloves is a good thing for touch screens, etc.  BUT ........ you can still spread any bacteria or virus if you touch anything contaminated and then touch something else, like your purse or other things and then touch them later without your gloves on. Even using latex gloves requires due diligence.  I often watch servers at fast food places use gloves and then touch their gloves to everything, including food, packaging and cash registers. This renders using gloves useless.

I am even thinking of eliminating handling any cash until this outbreak is over.

Be careful and be safe.

You too. I'm glad you are doing well. And impressed you seem to have those good habits down. Sorry about the crowd limits though. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 21

@oceanedge2 wrote:

ChasKy, my prayers are with you everyday.   Protection surrounding you ~ every cell, as your newborn self.  If it's more delicious take out delivered, a better reading lamp or anything at all, I will ask it to be given to you. 

Thank you Oceanedge2, I have been very blessed to have many friends and family who care about me. I have been very blessed in staying healthy through all of my treatments and the success of future treatments looks very bright for me. I just have to be aware and take due diligence in dealing with having a compromised immune system, it is a reality for me that I have gotten fairly used to.

I am fairly gregarious and it is killing me to start limiting my contact with gatherings of even a dozen or more people. I am careful by distancing myself, using hand sanitizer and sanitary wipes on all surfaces, and basically touching nothing.

You be safe, Oceanedge, my prayers are with you too.

"The only thing that man learns from history is that man learns nothing from history."
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 21

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So you are in Maryland.

I am in Kentucky, the southern part, just above Tennessee. The virus has shown up now within an hour or so of where I am. I would bet it is here in my town now but not yet diagnosed. I have a compromised immune system from have ongoing cancer treatments since 2011. I just visited my oncologist at Vanderbilt University Hospital on Tuesday and was told to be very cautious.

Be safe.

You too. Here, we are being told this spreads through close contact like family members in house, or in hospitals. Stuff like regular office work contact isn't as bad, but it's a good idea to increase disinfection protocols for doorknobs and other surfaces. Clean the cell phone too. 

Stay safe.

I have been dealing with a compromised immune system for more than several years now and precautions have become habit. I even wear thin surgical type gloves to the grocery store and any department stores I go into, always remembering not to touch my face. With this virus surfacing now I will stay away from crowded places even more than I have been. I use sanitary wipes a lot, and have learned to not touch surfaces. As a result, I have taken ill for for close to a year now.  Thanks for your advice and concern and you stay saafe too.

That's great!  I wish I could learn not to touch my face.  It's hard!  Where I live, I went to get a coffee from Dunkin this morning, and the cashiers were all wearing gloves right now.  That will protect them, but not me.  I drove out to the beach house today, in Delaware, and the guy at McDonalds (getting another iced coffee) told me to use the touch screen to order.  What a difference a state makes...

My husband has diabetes and my youngest has asthma.  So I'm trying not to pick this thing up and possibly spread it to them....

Using the plastic surgical gloves is a good thing for touch screens, etc.  BUT ........ you can still spread any bacteria or virus if you touch anything contaminated and then touch something else, like your purse or other things and then touch them later without your gloves on. Even using latex gloves requires due diligence.  I often watch servers at fast food places use gloves and then touch their gloves to everything, including food, packaging and cash registers. This renders using gloves useless.

I am even thinking of eliminating handling any cash until this outbreak is over.

Be careful and be safe.

"The only thing that man learns from history is that man learns nothing from history."
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 21

ChasKy, my prayers are with you everyday.   Protection surrounding you ~ every cell, as your newborn self.  If it's more delicious take out delivered, a better reading lamp or anything at all, I will ask it to be given to you. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 21

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So you are in Maryland.

Be safe.

Stay safe.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 21

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I was never vaxed and I still had never gotten the flu up through age 40.

I only started getting the vax when my dad had lung  cancer and my youngest had asthma. 

Still have never gotten the flu.

But I did take care of an old boyfriend with it once. And he was knocked down for a week. I'd never seen anything like it. And we were really young and fit. 

I wouldn't wish this on anyone over 50 for sure. 

I have only been diagnosed with the flu once in my life, well a year ago , the 'A' strain. My immunity had crashed to extremely low from cancer treatments and I was hospitalized for secondary infections from it. It taught me to be much more careful during flu seasons. 

I do have to take the pneumonia vaccinations and the shingles vaccination but the flu vaccinations will not work for me because my immune system is too low. Taking diligent precautions to not getting exposed to the virus is very effective in not getting the flu.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors