From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Mueller team disputes BuzzFeed report claiming Trump told Cohen to lie

Message 21 of 32

@Panjandrum wrote:

In reading Mueller's statement about the Buzzfeed story, I can't find where he states the story is an untrue fabrication. The essence of the dispute seems to be that Muellers thinks the "description of specific statements and characterization of documents" is inaccurate. If someone can find the part about the story being untrue, could they please point it out?

Mueller:  "“Buzzfeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen’s Congressional testimony are not accurate.”

Last night's rare on-the-record statement from the Mueller team is a reckoning that journalism had coming: Amid some of the most impressive reporting of our lifetimes, there's plenty of questionable coverage in this shock-a-minute era.

Jonathan Swan points out that BuzzFeed's report that President Trump directed Michael Cohen to lie to Congress, if true, would put this presidency at existential risk.

• The story was as clean as it gets: Trump directed Cohen to lie about the Trump Tower in Moscow project, and there’s tons of evidence to support that.
  • Very rarely has a story been so unequivocal — usually there are more hedges and acknowledgments of what isn't known.
  • And unlike most other reportage in this saga, this accused the president of a felony — a very different bar.

Democrats read the story and began immediately dreaming up articles of impeachment.

• Even some conservatives joined the "If true" chorus. Erick Erickson covered his bases: "If this is true, President Trump has committed an impeachable offense. ... [B]ut I would tread cautiously."
  • The two BuzzFeed reporters —Jason Leopold and Anthony Cormier — have broken important news previously on the Russia beat, which is why major outlets took this report seriously.

BuzzFeed asserted that the accusation was supported by copious documentary evidence that would’ve cleanly fit attorney general nominee Bill Barr’s on-the-record definition of obstruction: internal Trump Organization "emails, text messages, and a cache of other documents."

• The WashPost reports: "Mueller’s denial, according to people familiar with the matter, aims to make clear that none of those statements in the story are accurate."
  • The N.Y. Times got similar guidance: "One person familiar with Mr. Cohen’s testimony to the special counsel’s prosecutors said that Mr. Cohen did not state that the president had pressured him to lie to Congress."

Garrett M. Graff of WIRED, in an email to Axios, pointed out the new political context for journalistic bombshells:

• "You have to think that the special counsel's office is thinking through how to respond to press reports in the era of a Democratic House — they need to now set reasonable (and timely) expectations in order to ensure that Congress doesn't [go] off the rails."
  • Graff told me the statement appears to be very careful, disputing specific — although unspecified — allegations.

Some of the coverage suggested end times for Trump:

• But now the "fake news" accusers are dunking on the press. Sean Hannity used a red "BuzzFeed Busted" graphic at the top of his Fox News show.
  • Trump tweeted last night: "A very sad day for journalism, but a great day for our Country!"
  • And this morning: "Many people are saying that the Mainstream Media will have a very hard time restoring credibility because of the way they have treated me over the past 3 years (including the election lead-up)"
  • Ultimately, Buzzfeed is reporting, based on two anonymous sources, that the president committed a felony. That’s an enormous claim to hang on two anonymous sources.

Be cautious: This story is moving so fast.

• In the next 24 hours, BuzzFeed’s sources could retract their claims or corroborate them.
  • Relevant emails could become public, other outlets could find more on this — who knows.
  • Some pundits and lawmakers rushed to call this story the death knell of Trump’s presidency. Don't make the same mistake about BuzzFeed — or journalism.

P.S. My email exchange with BuzzFeed Editor-in-Chief Ben Smith:

• How can you stand fully behind your reporting when Mueller says it's at least partly wrong?
    • We literally don't know what the special counsel is referring to. 
  • Should someone lose their job if you or the reporters were wrong in accusing the president of a felony? 
    • And I'm not going to speculate.

Smith said in a phoner with MSNBC's Rachel Maddow: "This is a line of reporting that has been repeatedly vindicated."

Source - https://www.axios.com/muellers-investigation-goes-on-the-record-to-deny-buzzfeed-report-a07f65a6-611...

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 32

In reading Mueller's statement about the Buzzfeed story, I can't find where he states the story is an untrue fabrication. The essence of the dispute seems to be that Muellers thinks the "description of specific statements and characterization of documents" is inaccurate. If someone can find the part about the story being untrue, could they please point it out?

Mueller:  "“Buzzfeed’s description of specific statements to the Special Counsel’s Office, and characterization of documents and testimony obtained by this office, regarding Michael Cohen’s Congressional testimony are not accurate.”

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 32

@jimc91 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

Is there a reason that @jimc91 failed to attribute his VERBATIM news report to FOXNEWS, the literal origin of his post.

The fact that no other news organization ran with the "TRUTHFULNESS" of this story, no politician stated that it was TRUTHFUL, and finally, as others have said, Mueller's Office itself has disputed it just shows how reliable the REAL INFORMATION will be when it is released.

The fact that INDIVIDUAL-1 is attempting every diversion possible (government shutdown, Pelosi War Zone visit cancellation, trip to a war zone, McDonald's burger photo op, and other diversions indicates that INDIVIDUAL-1 knows the walls are closing in and the end is near.

The Buzzfeed story, while not accurate, DID NOT cause a TWITTER BARRAGE by INDIVIDUAL-1, I do wonder why that was.

TOO FUNNY!!

So you are puzzled as to why the DNC PAC's of CNN and MSNBC are not running this story?  Now that is funny!!

Yeah I forgot to include the link, my bad.  Being on vacation I guess I am out of practice so here is the link to the article.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mueller-team-disputes-buzzfeed-report-claiming-trump-told-cohen-to-...

TOO FUNNY!!

Actually, NBC ran this story that originally came from Buzzfeed, just as Fox did.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 32

It's not funny that you "forgot" to attribute your VERBATIM article; you do that quite often.

The question is. "Why do you do it?"

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 32

@nctarheel wrote:

Is there a reason that @jimc91 failed to attribute his VERBATIM news report to FOXNEWS, the literal origin of his post.

The fact that no other news organization ran with the "TRUTHFULNESS" of this story, no politician stated that it was TRUTHFUL, and finally, as others have said, Mueller's Office itself has disputed it just shows how reliable the REAL INFORMATION will be when it is released.

The fact that INDIVIDUAL-1 is attempting every diversion possible (government shutdown, Pelosi War Zone visit cancellation, trip to a war zone, McDonald's burger photo op, and other diversions indicates that INDIVIDUAL-1 knows the walls are closing in and the end is near.

The Buzzfeed story, while not accurate, DID NOT cause a TWITTER BARRAGE by INDIVIDUAL-1, I do wonder why that was.

TOO FUNNY!!

So you are puzzled as to why the DNC PAC's of CNN and MSNBC are not running this story?  Now that is funny!!

Yeah I forgot to include the link, my bad.  Being on vacation I guess I am out of practice so here is the link to the article.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mueller-team-disputes-buzzfeed-report-claiming-trump-told-cohen-to-...

TOO FUNNY!!

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 32
Buzzfeed is the new and news equivalent, of writings on the bathroom wall. For a good time call... 1-800-buz-feed

"The nicest curve on a woman's body is her smile "
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 32

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 32

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Bottom Line: This rare public statement from the Mueller team illustrates how important the truth is to their investigation.

Yes it does Critical. 

I thank Jimc for posting this showing the honesty and integrity of Mueller. This should give cause for everyone to have confidence in the results of Mueller's findings when they are released upon the finish of his investigation and also gives cause to the results being released for the public to read.

Thank you Jimc

Yeah. .......

released based on the - "Rules" - to One Single Individual The US AG - a Trump Appointee and no one else in the World - not the American People - Not the Congress - No One

Anyone who is hanging their Hat on the Mueller Report is a Victim of MSM Hype & not paying attention

The Congress now more than ever - needs to do their job B4 The Mueller Report is simply run through a shredder by the AG along with all the investigative reports - witness statements - other evidence

It's is the AG's exclusive prerogative to do whatever he wants with the Mueller Report Period! - this Neal Katyal Clown who wrote the Special Counsel guidelines should be disbarred

Its absurd that Millions of Tax Payers $$ are spent on these Investigations & then only a Single Individual is given the power to determine if the American People or their Representatives will see anything at all

And again the Media Hype over this report for the last 2 years is criminal - creating the Illusion that it's some guarantee the American People will finally know the truth

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 32

Sure doesn't sound much like a "witch hunt" if Mueller is shooting down stories.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 32

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Bottom Line: This rare public statement from the Mueller team illustrates how important the truth is to their investigation.

Yes it does Critical. 

I thank Jimc for posting this showing the honesty and integrity of Mueller. This should give cause for everyone to have confidence in the results of Mueller's findings when they are released upon the finish of his investigation and also gives cause to the results being released for the public to read.

Thank you Jimc

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors