AARP and the photographers of Magnum Photos look at older people living in new ways around the world in A New Age.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

Message 91 of 428

@Olderscout66wrote:

A weapon is not "military grade" because it has a bayonet clip or looks menacing.

It becomes "military grade" when its capacity to kill exceeds all legitimate uses of a firearm.

Semi-automatic weapons have NO LEGITIMATE USE other than killing people. A semi-auto long gun using 30-round clips/magazines can fire 120 rounds in 1 minute and keep it up until the barrel warps from the heat. The US Army has been using that semi-auto capability with 20-round clips almost exclusively in Iraq and Afghanistan - they discarded the full-auto mode years ago and nobody seems to like the 3-round burst mode so nobody's using it.

Improved mental health is a wonderful idea, but has nothing to do with reducing gun violence, First off, you need trained professionals to examine the individual. If the individual is a psychopath, diagnosis will require a number of sessions simply because psychos are excellent liars and often highly intelligent. Are NRAGOPers going to agree to the tax increases needed to train and deploy the army of shrinks their "solution" requires? Heck no - its not a solution, its an excuse.

Ban semi-auto weapons and end the slaughter of innocents.

I agree, Scout.  They aren't necessary in a civilzed country.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 428

A weapon is not "military grade" because it has a bayonet clip or looks menacing.

It becomes "military grade" when its capacity to kill exceeds all legitimate uses of a firearm.

Semi-automatic weapons have NO LEGITIMATE USE other than killing people. A semi-auto long gun using 30-round clips/magazines can fire 120 rounds in 1 minute and keep it up until the barrel warps from the heat. The US Army has been using that semi-auto capability with 20-round clips almost exclusively in Iraq and Afghanistan - they discarded the full-auto mode years ago and nobody seems to like the 3-round burst mode so nobody's using it.

Improved mental health is a wonderful idea, but has nothing to do with reducing gun violence, First off, you need trained professionals to examine the individual. If the individual is a psychopath, diagnosis will require a number of sessions simply because psychos are excellent liars and often highly intelligent. Are NRAGOPers going to agree to the tax increases needed to train and deploy the army of shrinks their "solution" requires? Heck no - its not a solution, its an excuse.

Ban semi-auto weapons and end the slaughter of innocents.

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 428

@Olderscout66wrote:

The NRAGOP is proposing we prevent people who have already committed SERIOUS crimes from buying readily available semi-automatic weapons with high capacity magazines/clips and THAT will stop the slaughter of innocents that has been committed by people who have NOT committed serious crimes BEFORE THEY MASSACURED DOZENS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE.

I call BS - the ONLY solution is to ban semi-auto weapons and anything that allows them to fire more than 8 times before reloading. Austrailia did it with a single election and we can too if we get rid of enough Republicans.Provide some subsidy for the conversion kits, give a 1 year "grace" for making the conversions but then NO MORE SEMI-AUTO WEAPONS IN CIVILIAN HANDS.

I haven't heard about this but if it's true, I'm for it. These NRA people haven't given an inch in decades. Any movement on their part is cause for a bit of optimism.

Winter is Coming.
11/06
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 428

@ChasKy53wrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

Polls supporting what I stated have been posted here,

Polls mean nothing and can be misleading depending on the questions asked, and who is being asked.  And I doubt that all Americans has(have) been polled, so how can you say 'most Americans'? You mean they mean nothing to you unless the results agree with you. As I said, more than just a few polls have been posted here validating my claim. Newspapers and other news sources have also validated my claim. Can you post reputable sources to disprove what those polls, the newspapers, and news shows have shown?

Doubtful that you are that familiar, but if you have I'm sure you've noticed that it isn't the gun that is firing by itself but the person pulling the trigger.  That needs to be addressed before any restriction on firearms or size of magazines. That is just your opinion and that has been tried with background checks, how's it working?

As far as the capacity of the magazines, I've fired off a(an) ammo box full of regular magazines, one at a time, and it took me minimal time to eject the magazine and reload.  It took me less than 30 minutes to empty the ammo container.  That was my final hurrah in firing a(an) M-16. Well good for you !  But limiting magazines to 7 to 9 rounds would cause many more reloads and cause them to carry many more magazines, slowing down a person trying to kill dozens in seconds. Why are you so  against slowing down their capability?

Chas, my experience has been if someone doesn't understand the scientific nature of polls and polling, "no doubt" they're challenged to understand data analysis.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 428

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

Polls mean nothing and can be misleading depending on the questions asked, and who is being asked.  And I doubt that all Americans has(have) been polled, so how can you say 'most Americans'? You mean they mean nothing to you unless the results agree with you. As I said, more than just a few polls have been posted here validating my claim. Newspapers and other news sources have also validated my claim. Can you post reputable sources to disprove what those polls, the newspapers, and news shows have shown?

Doubtful that you are that familiar, but if you have I'm sure you've noticed that it isn't the gun that is firing by itself but the person pulling the trigger.  That needs to be addressed before any restriction on firearms or size of magazines. That is just your opinion and that has been tried with background checks, how's it working?

As far as the capacity of the magazines, I've fired off a(an) ammo box full of regular magazines, one at a time, and it took me minimal time to eject the magazine and reload.  It took me less than 30 minutes to empty the ammo container.  That was my final hurrah in firing a(an) M-16. Well good for you !  But limiting magazines to 7 to 9 rounds would cause many more reloads and cause them to carry many more magazines, slowing down a person trying to kill dozens in seconds. Why are you so  against slowing down their capability?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 428

@ChasKy53wrote:

Polls mean nothing and can be misleading depending on the questions asked, and who is being asked.  And I doubt that all Americans has been polled, so how can you say 'most Americans'?

Doubtful that you are that familiar, but if you have I'm sure you've noticed that it isn't the gun is firing by itself but the person pulling the trigger.  That needs to be addressed before any restriction on firearms or size of magazines.

As far as the capacity of the magazines, I've fired off a ammo box full of regular magazines, one at a time, and it took me minimal time to eject the magazine and reload.  It took me less than 30 minutes to empty the ammo container.  That was my final hurrah in firing a M-16.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 428

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

It's not "imposing the will of a few" when the majority of Americans want large capacity semi-automatics banned

If you cannot follow a post and my replies when made in this way you have my pity.

Doubtful you can furnish the number of Americans against semi-automatic guns?   Polls supporting what I stated have been posted here, Googling will readily find them, sorry you missed them. How familar are you with semi-automatic rifles? I have fired them many times, "familar" enough. Apparently not that much since it is not the rifles themselves that are 'large capacity' but the magazines. "apparently not much" is either an erroneous opinion or a childish insult, should I take my pick?   By the way, all semi automatic rifles don't have "magazines" or 'clips'. The clips or "magazines" should not have the capacity for more than 7 to 9 rounds IMHO.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 428

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

The NRAGOP is proposing we prevent people who have already committed SERIOUS crimes from buying readily available semi-automatic weapons with high capacity magazines/clips and THAT will stop the slaughter of innocents that has been committed by people who have NOT committed serious crimes BEFORE THEY MASSACURED DOZENS OF INNOCENT PEOPLE.

I call BS - the ONLY solution is to ban semi-auto weapons and anything that allows them to fire more than 8 times before reloading. Austrailia did it with a single election and we can too if we get rid of enough Republicans.Provide some subsidy for the conversion kits, give a 1 year "grace" for making the conversions but then NO MORE SEMI-AUTO WEAPONS IN CIVILIAN HANDS.

Civilians don't NEED automatic or semi-automatic weapons.

They certainly don't need automatic weapons but you WON'T see semi automatic weapons gone in your lifetime or mine!

Certainly they don't need automatics ......... after all, they can kill dozens of people in seconds with a semi-auto. Is that your point ?????

Make a simple comment and a liberal will distort it to the max every time! I agreed that automatic weapons are not needed. I own several semi automatic weapons, there are many millions of them in homes, hunting, used for target practice, and personal protection. Not only will you not get the government to grab them, people won't turn them in (especially the thugs).

Is your point to distort the original meaning to make YOUR POINT?

Don't like your own 'medicine' ?????  

There is nothing wrong with a semi-automatic hunting rifle or shotgun with a limited capacity of rounds, and I have never said that there was.

My point is that there is no logical reason for anyone to own a firearm capable of killing dozens of people in a matter of seconds by having the ability to fire 40 to 120 rounds per minute.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 428

@ChasKy53wrote:

It's not "imposing the will of a few" when the majority of Americans want large capacity semi-automatics banned

If you cannot follow a post and my replies when made in this way you have my pity.

Doubtful you can furnish the number of Americans against semi-automatic guns?  How familar are you with semi-automatic rifles?  Apparently not that much since it is not the rifles themselves that are 'large capacity' but the magazines.  

Don't need your pity, but as uninteresting and uninformative not missing anything, probably because of your repeating and copying the liberal leadership here.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 428

@ChasKy53wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

Civilians don't NEED automatic or semi-automatic weapons.

They certainly don't need automatic weapons but you WON'T see semi automatic weapons gone in your lifetime or mine!

Certainly they don't need automatics ......... after all, they can kill dozens of people in seconds with a semi-auto. Is that your point ?????

Make a simple comment and a liberal will distort it to the max every time! I agreed that automatic weapons are not needed. I own several semi automatic weapons, there are many millions of them in homes, hunting, used for target practice, and personal protection. Not only will you not get the government to grab them, people won't turn them in (especially the thugs).

Is your point to distort the original meaning to make YOUR POINT?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors