Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

Message 81 of 428

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@MIsekerwrote:

your post, with its demonstration of gun smuggling enabling murder, is odd. you said what the problem is, but refuse to acknowledge it.

So what's wrong with what I said?  Guns are in ample supply in Chicago, mostly hand guns, inspite of laws.  There are guns available in Houston, again mostly hand guns used in crimes. The same around the country.  They were stolen, smuggled from other states, etc.

What have I refused to acknowledge?  If any type of gun is banned, there will be a supply where there is a demand.  Simple economics.

Actually, that has not been the case. In Australia they banned such guns and the street price of an AK-47 rose to $10,000. In America, they are $500 or less. Banning guns in Chicago while allowing unrestricted sales an hour's drive away would seem to be counter productive. The only reasonable ban would be nationwide. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 428

@MIsekerwrote:

your post, with its demonstration of gun smuggling enabling murder, is odd. you said what the problem is, but refuse to acknowledge it.

So what's wrong with what I said?  Guns are in ample supply in Chicago, mostly hand guns, inspite of laws.  There are guns available in Houston, again mostly hand guns used in crimes. The same around the country.  They were stolen, smuggled from other states, etc.

What have I refused to acknowledge?  If any type of gun is banned, there will be a supply where there is a demand.  Simple economics.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 428

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@mandm84wrote:

Tex says "Banning anything only creates a black market"

---------------------------------------------

Brilliant response -  so let's legalize Rocket Propelled Grenades , Heroin , Cocaine , LSD , etc etc etc

Some are unable to intelligently engage in discussions without coming up with illogical and frivolous replies.

Do you actually think that banning any type of small arms would dry up the supply?  Look at Chicago....there are laws against weapons, yet they are probably more available there than in Houston Texas.  There is even a route from Virginia to New York State for weapons

Your's is the 'brilliant' response.  There is an obsession in your posts on this topic.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 428

@Olderscout66wrote:

the redistribution of wealth by taxation and we'll see where it leads.

What has that to do with this discussion?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 428

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

A weapon is not "military grade" because it has a bayonet clip or looks menacing.

It becomes "military grade" when its capacity to kill exceeds all legitimate uses of a firearm.

Semi-automatic weapons have NO LEGITIMATE USE other than killing people. A semi-auto long gun using 30-round clips/magazines can fire 120 rounds in 1 minute and keep it up until the barrel warps from the heat. The US Army has been using that semi-auto capability with 20-round clips almost exclusively in Iraq and Afghanistan - they discarded the full-auto mode years ago and nobody seems to like the 3-round burst mode so nobody's using it.

Improved mental health is a wonderful idea, but has nothing to do with reducing gun violence, First off, you need trained professionals to examine the individual. If the individual is a psychopath, diagnosis will require a number of sessions simply because psychos are excellent liars and often highly intelligent. Are NRAGOPers going to agree to the tax increases needed to train and deploy the army of shrinks their "solution" requires? Heck no - its not a solution, its an excuse.

Ban semi-auto weapons and end the slaughter of innocents.

Give it up Scout. You will never see semi automatic weapons banned or revolvers. The best you can hope for is a limit on magazine capacity and no modifications to legal weapons to make them fire more than one round with each trigger pull. Just as you won't see 90% tax brackets or 70% tax brackets again.

The sorry souls who cheered Cooledge cutting the TMR from 65% to 20% probably felt the same way NOT. All it takes is enough people understanding why they haven't gotten a raise since 1981 and why they're the first generation since the Civil War to NOT do better than their parents. Looks like the slaughter of innocents in Florida has finally galvanized the vast majority of Americans, which is why the NRAGOP is running very scared - they won't be able to get rich on the massacure of school children or win elections in a flood of blood because people are beginning to understand why America is the ONLY civilized Nation that experiences weekly mass murders and kills more people with guns than with cars. But keep on supporting the slaughter of children as a Constitutional Right, and the redistribution of wealth by taxation and we'll see where it leads.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 428

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

Polls supporting what I stated have been posted here,

Polls mean nothing and can be misleading depending on the questions asked, and who is being asked.  And I doubt that all Americans has(have) been polled, so how can you say 'most Americans'? You mean they mean nothing to you unless the results agree with you. As I said, more than just a few polls have been posted here validating my claim. Newspapers and other news sources have also validated my claim. Can you post reputable sources to disprove what those polls, the newspapers, and news shows have shown?

If you believe the polls, then you still believe that Hillary is President. Oh, I forgot, you already know she is President.

Doubtful that you are that familiar, but if you have I'm sure you've noticed that it isn't the gun that is firing by itself but the person pulling the trigger.  That needs to be addressed before any restriction on firearms or size of magazines. That is just your opinion and that has been tried with background checks, how's it working?

As far as the capacity of the magazines, I've fired off a(an) ammo box full of regular magazines, one at a time, and it took me minimal time to eject the magazine and reload.  It took me less than 30 minutes to empty the ammo container.  That was my final hurrah in firing a(an) M-16. Well good for you !  But limiting magazines to 7 to 9 rounds would cause many more reloads and cause them to carry many more magazines, slowing down a person trying to kill dozens in seconds. Why are you so  against slowing down their capability?

Which is it you like? 7 or 9 rounds. If legislation is written, it must say the maximum rounds. Scout would say one round maximum. You say between 7 and 9. Can't libs settle on anything?

Ahhhh, the obligatory partisan attack from NOTHAPPING....so "quaint".  Most people appreciate the diversity of opinion from those left of far-right extremists. From moderate Republicans to the far left and all that remains between the two.

I most appreciate all the compliments from you - left of the far left posters.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 428

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

Polls mean nothing and can be misleading depending on the questions asked, and who is being asked.  And I doubt that all Americans has(have) been polled, so how can you say 'most Americans'? You mean they mean nothing to you unless the results agree with you. As I said, more than just a few polls have been posted here validating my claim. Newspapers and other news sources have also validated my claim. Can you post reputable sources to disprove what those polls, the newspapers, and news shows have shown?

If you believe the polls, then you still believe that Hillary is President. Oh, I forgot, you already know she is President.

Doubtful that you are that familiar, but if you have I'm sure you've noticed that it isn't the gun that is firing by itself but the person pulling the trigger.  That needs to be addressed before any restriction on firearms or size of magazines. That is just your opinion and that has been tried with background checks, how's it working?

As far as the capacity of the magazines, I've fired off a(an) ammo box full of regular magazines, one at a time, and it took me minimal time to eject the magazine and reload.  It took me less than 30 minutes to empty the ammo container.  That was my final hurrah in firing a(an) M-16. Well good for you !  But limiting magazines to 7 to 9 rounds would cause many more reloads and cause them to carry many more magazines, slowing down a person trying to kill dozens in seconds. Why are you so  against slowing down their capability?

Which is it you like? 7 or 9 rounds. If legislation is written, it must say the maximum rounds. Scout would say one round maximum. You say between 7 and 9. Can't libs settle on anything?

Ahhhh, the obligatory partisan attack from NOTHAPPING....so "quaint".  Most people appreciate the diversity of opinion from those left of far-right extremists. From moderate Republicans to the far left and all that remains between the two.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 428

@Olderscout66wrote:

A weapon is not "military grade" because it has a bayonet clip or looks menacing.

It becomes "military grade" when its capacity to kill exceeds all legitimate uses of a firearm.

Semi-automatic weapons have NO LEGITIMATE USE other than killing people. A semi-auto long gun using 30-round clips/magazines can fire 120 rounds in 1 minute and keep it up until the barrel warps from the heat. The US Army has been using that semi-auto capability with 20-round clips almost exclusively in Iraq and Afghanistan - they discarded the full-auto mode years ago and nobody seems to like the 3-round burst mode so nobody's using it.

Improved mental health is a wonderful idea, but has nothing to do with reducing gun violence, First off, you need trained professionals to examine the individual. If the individual is a psychopath, diagnosis will require a number of sessions simply because psychos are excellent liars and often highly intelligent. Are NRAGOPers going to agree to the tax increases needed to train and deploy the army of shrinks their "solution" requires? Heck no - its not a solution, its an excuse.

Give it up Scout. You will never see semi automatic weapons banned or revolvers. The best you can hope for is a limit on magazine capacity and no modifications to legal weapons to make them fire more than one round with each trigger pull. Just as you won't see 90% tax brackets or 70% tax brackets again.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 428

@ChasKy53wrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 428

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

I agree, Scout.  They aren't necessary in a civilized country.

There are semi-automatics for hunting that are basically OK with me, but they don't have clips or magazines and only hold a limited number of rounds. Some that come to mind area the Remington Woodmaster, Browning made the BAR Shortrac in a .308 and a .338. Another is the Benell R-1.  I haven't hunted for years now and am not as informed on all of the new rifles but there are quite a few semi-automatics with a capacity for a limited number of rounds that are suited for hunting and target shooting. All the rest should be banned, or at minimum the magazines should be limited to 7 to 9 rounds and should be modified so that it takes longer to change clips than it does on today's models.  I think these to be perfectly reasonable suggestions, quite workable for hunters, and are within the confines of the Constitution. I see no logical reason for any objections to these suggestions.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors