Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

 

Reply
Moderator
0
Kudos
206
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

206 Views
Message 1 of 428
Thank you for your participation. This thread is now closed.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
206
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
221
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

221 Views
Message 2 of 428

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@john258wrote:


That is true you are what you are. You used to be a good thinking person responding to a subject based on the facts. Now you are a far right supporter and facts like in all far right have left. Age does bring on its problems sadly as we all find out.


I'm not one who insults another here regarding family.  And everyone has a right to their own political opinion.  Suggest you are attempting to stalk and to be dictatorial in that regards.


Not true. The far right would break up families by throwing kids out of the country, and they tried the same thing when they opposed allowing brides of service people entering the US. When hateful far right posts are made I will respond.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
221
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
226
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

226 Views
Message 3 of 428

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@john258wrote:


Did Congress vote on the Tariffs? No. Did Congress vote to ban Muslims? No. Will congress vote on  extending the death penalty? No. Congress voted sanctions on Russia, and Trump refused to put them on. Trump is a dictator. We still have an independent investigators because Trump has not found a way he can fire them. Has he tried? Yes but no one would carry out his orders. In time that will change.  How little our far right know. Now all can see how Hitler took over in Germany. Stop the Dicator.

 

Good points, John.


 


One atta-boy for a fellow lefty!


No, a KUDOS because most of what John posted is true. Why don't you just answer .....did congress vote on tariffs?

Congress isn't required to approve tariffs!

 

Congress voted by a wide margin to place strong sanctions on Russia, did trump sign them and put them into place?

 


America doesn't have to be at war with a particular nation -- it just has to be "at war" somewhere in the world in order to apply tariffs against other countries.

Experts believe U.S. special forces in Syria and Libya would suffice to meet that requirement for Trump to hit countries such as China and Mexico with tariffs.

In 1971, President Richard Nixon used this act to impose a 10% import tariff (not directed at any particular nation) citing the Korean War, which had ended nearly two decades prior. Technically, America was still in a state of emergency which had not lifted.

 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/23/news/economy/trump-tariff-power/index.html


What you say about Congress isn't required to approve tariffs is true. Congress is required to pass a law imposing Tariffs which the President must sign. There is a provision that in time of emergency the President can act. No most experts do not agree with what Nixon did. There is not  an emergency now. Trump as he always does will grasp at anything so he can by pass Congress. He did not even try and get Congress to pass a law, and that is what Dictators do. Trump takes this approach all the time. He is a dictator. Check and see if Nixon tried to get Congress pass the tariff first. Nixon got impeached and left office for all the things he did. Nixon was a crook the people involved then tell us, but he did stay for the most part in the guidelines. Trump is a crook but will never stay in any guidelines but his own. That is what dictators do. Lets hope someone takes this to court and we can have the courts decide. Trumps record in court so far has been close to zero. He is not imposing anything on Mexico or Canada, and we hear there will be others exempted. If he keeps going it could be zero. By doing this he is proving that there is no emergency for any court case.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
226
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
236
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

236 Views
Message 4 of 428

@ChasKy53wrote:

@NOTHAPPENINGwrote:

@Centristsin2010wrote:

@john258wrote:


Did Congress vote on the Tariffs? No. Did Congress vote to ban Muslims? No. Will congress vote on  extending the death penalty? No. Congress voted sanctions on Russia, and Trump refused to put them on. Trump is a dictator. We still have an independent investigators because Trump has not found a way he can fire them. Has he tried? Yes but no one would carry out his orders. In time that will change.  How little our far right know. Now all can see how Hitler took over in Germany. Stop the Dicator.

 

Good points, John.


 


One atta-boy for a fellow lefty!


No, a KUDOS because most of what John posted is true. Why don't you just answer .....did congress vote on tariffs?

Congress isn't required to approve tariffs!

 

Congress voted by a wide margin to place strong sanctions on Russia, did trump sign them and put them into place?

 


America doesn't have to be at war with a particular nation -- it just has to be "at war" somewhere in the world in order to apply tariffs against other countries.

Experts believe U.S. special forces in Syria and Libya would suffice to meet that requirement for Trump to hit countries such as China and Mexico with tariffs.

In 1971, President Richard Nixon used this act to impose a 10% import tariff (not directed at any particular nation) citing the Korean War, which had ended nearly two decades prior. Technically, America was still in a state of emergency which had not lifted.

 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/23/news/economy/trump-tariff-power/index.html

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
236
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
243
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

243 Views
Message 5 of 428

@ChasKy53wrote:

 

If you post on topic I will reply or comment on topic. If you post without insult, I will post without insult.


Have you heard of the phrase by William Makepeace Thackery: "The world is a looking glass and returns to each man the reflection of his own face"?

 

You have been the one who has been setting the tone of posts by your continued complaints about my choosing to follow my own political path by being Independent of the Kumbaya following by the liberal left here.  What you have been seeing is your own opinions reflecting back to you.

 

Suggest you are the one setting the pace instead of myself or others.  The choice is up to you.

 

Now, I do not believe that a ban on semi-automatic weapons is the path, but education and mental health awareness in owning them.  As far as the subject title about automatic rifles, there already is an federal ban on ownership without a special license.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
243
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
247
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

247 Views
Message 6 of 428

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:



What does it matter to you what my political opinions are? I't's just that you claim to be independent and are anything but.


 


Whether I'm Independent or whatever is my business and you can think what you want.  But mostly it's like another poster who keeps bringing up the name of one candidate in the last election cycle... that is my business.  

 

I am what I am and I don't care what you think of my political direction.  You might as well start dwelling on the topic instead of that.


Actually, posting anything in a public forum makes it everyone's "business".

 

If you post on topic I will reply or comment on topic. If you post without insult, I will post without insult. The way that you post will get a post or reply from me of a similar fashion, it's that simple. So it's also true that you "might as well start dwelling on the topic".


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
247
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
250
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

250 Views
Message 7 of 428

@john258wrote:


That is true you are what you are. You used to be a good thinking person responding to a subject based on the facts. Now you are a far right supporter and facts like in all far right have left. Age does bring on its problems sadly as we all find out.


I'm not one who insults another here regarding family.  And everyone has a right to their own political opinion.  Suggest you are attempting to stalk and to be dictatorial in that regards.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
250
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
257
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

257 Views
Message 8 of 428

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:



What does it matter to you what my political opinions are? I't's just that you claim to be independent and are anything but.


 


Whether I'm Independent or whatever is my business and you can think what you want.  But mostly it's like another poster who keeps bringing up the name of one candidate in the last election cycle... that is my business.  

 

I am what I am and I don't care what you think of my political direction.  You might as well start dwelling on the topic instead of that.


That is true you are what you are. You used to be a good thinking person responding to a subject based on the facts. Now you are a far right supporter and facts like in all far right have left. Age does bring on its problems sadly as we all find out.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
257
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
263
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

263 Views
Message 9 of 428

@ChasKy53wrote:



What does it matter to you what my political opinions are? I't's just that you claim to be independent and are anything but.


 


Whether I'm Independent or whatever is my business and you can think what you want.  But mostly it's like another poster who keeps bringing up the name of one candidate in the last election cycle... that is my business.  

 

I am what I am and I don't care what you think of my political direction.  You might as well start dwelling on the topic instead of that.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
263
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
285
Views

Re: Most Americans Want Ban on Automatic Rifles

285 Views
Message 10 of 428

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@ChasKy53wrote:


"Independent" is a ruse, your postings tell a different story. And your postings don't seem very original, they are much more like far right group speak.

 

By the way, did you ever find any reputable newspapers, news organizations, or polls that discount the fact that the majority of Americans want gun control laws banning semi automatic rifles with large magazine capacities?


What does it matter to you what my political opinions are? I't's just that you claim to be independent and are anything but. When did I have to ask your permission as to what my opinions are? I never said that you did, when did I have to ask your permission to comment on them? And again you copy my using the 'group speak' phrase.  Stop using insulting and childish phrases like that and I won't be able to throw them back at you.  Never can be original can you? Sure, with someone that wants to be original with me, and less argumentative. You sure are having heartburn as to my opinons, even neglecting to stay on topic. It's often hard to be on topic when replying to your off-topic comments, like now. Most every post you have been making is about my opinions and that I can have an independent one. I have seen no "independent" ones, including none criticizing even one thing that trump has said or done.

 

Suggest you just accept that I'm no longer following the crowd. Sure you are, you just switched "crowds". I do have original thoughts instead of following the leader. Then post one of them. Get over it Chasky and get a life. You're posting here the same as me, does that mean both of us need to "get a life"?

 

As far as the 'polls' where are they and who was backing them?  Have you asked every American what their opinions on the topic is? You haven't been able to find newspapers, news sources, or any other reputable sources (including reputable polls) that show that most Americans want weapons like AR-15s and other like them banned, have you? That sure is what your postings indicate.


 


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
285
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.


multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors