Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: More Trump incompetence-Now at CFPB

Message 11 of 45

All Done now - at least until another court action comes out, if it rules otherwise.

1st the view by the CFPB counsel itself - which was just interesting - just an opinion from her.

Reuters 11/26/2017 - Exclusive: U.S. Consumer Finance agency lawyer sides with Trump over CFPB succe...

and now today, a federal judge, Trump appointee, sides with the Administration over the dueling heads of the CFPB

MotherJones 11/28/2017 - Judge Sides With Trump Administration In the Case of the dueling heads of t...

Now we just have to wait for the decision on the rehearing from PHH vs CFPB,

unless Ms English and her attorney, Gupta decide to file her suit in another court - I think that is doubtful.

The new director has already began some reorganizing.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45

@Panjandrum wrote:

Gail1: Which federal law decides who will lead the CFPB — the Federal Vacancies Reform Act, which gives the president the ability to fill many open positions in the executive branch, or the Dodd-Frank financial reform that created the bureau in the first place?

From what I've been reading, The Federal Vacancies Reform Act shouldn't apply in this case. When that act came about it also gave congress the discretion to formulate a different process if they wanted to. They wrote in Dodd-Frank that the deputy director would become acting director in order to try to move the CFPB away from a political process for obvious reasons.

A good explanation is here by Barney Frank who should know since he coauthored Dodd-Frank.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/25/politics/frank-cfpb-appointment/index.html

I dunno - setting control of the financial institutions in such a way that the Administration setting it up retains control after the next election seems a bit partisan and ideological to me.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45

@MIseker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The real issue here is "Will Der Trumper be allowed to destroy consumer financial protection by sabotaging the agency designed to PROTECT consumers after we all saw why such protection was needed after the jrbush crash destroyed the finances of tens of millions of Americans with predatory lending.

neoRepublicans support a return to predatory lending and the redistribution of wealth from the middle Class to the very top of the 1%, and this will be greatly enhanced by the removal of the CFPA from the game.

Progressives believe robbing people with slimy business practices is wrong and think it should not ever be allowed to return to jrbush levels.

What are those Bush43 levels of slimy business practices that concern you? Let's not forget that there were two major causes for the meltdown and the aftermath - both government inspired. 

First there was the idea of getting people into homes they obviously could not afford. There was a boom and people traded up and traded up. And then as happens with any boom, along came the bust.

Then in the "solution" phase there was the "too big to fail" idea which required the government to pay off the debts of those bankers that upset you so.

Got any direct experience with that? or are you just reading the wrong stuff again. Wall st hiring physicists to cover the tracks of the bogus loans?

"Direct experience" with what - hiring physicists? Do you read your posts before hitting the "post" button?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45

byrondennis: I reported them to the moderator. Let's see if AARP does the right thing and gets rid of these people who can never provide facts, that always go totally off topic, and that in their lack of ability to debate quickly resort to calling those who disagree with them "a Russian."

That's all you need to know about how polluted the Obama swamp was (and is). The Obama swamp gives swamps a bad name.

Pretty hilarious to see someone complain about going off topic and providing no facts while proceeding to do exactly that.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45

Gail1: Which federal law decides who will lead the CFPB — the Federal Vacancies Reform Act, which gives the president the ability to fill many open positions in the executive branch, or the Dodd-Frank financial reform that created the bureau in the first place?

From what I've been reading, The Federal Vacancies Reform Act shouldn't apply in this case. When that act came about it also gave congress the discretion to formulate a different process if they wanted to. They wrote in Dodd-Frank that the deputy director would become acting director in order to try to move the CFPB away from a political process for obvious reasons.

A good explanation is here by Barney Frank who should know since he coauthored Dodd-Frank.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/25/politics/frank-cfpb-appointment/index.html

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45

@Richva wrote:

What facts would you like?  

• Obama was a better president
  • Trump is incompetent
  • Everything Trump touches turns to chaos
  • This is another example of the above. 

I guess you don't know what a fact is? You fit right in.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45

@byrondennis wrote:

@MIseker wrote:

:

<<< your quote after you say you reported people for name calling. just sayin..

Last I checked, Obama wasn't posting here. He's out golfing. I "reported them" for going off topic, never providing facts and bashing Gail.

What facts would you like?  

• Obama was a better president
  • Trump is incompetent
  • Everything Trump touches turns to chaos
  • This is another example of the above. 
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45

@MIseker wrote:

:

<<< your quote after you say you reported people for name calling. just sayin..

Last I checked, Obama wasn't posting here. He's out golfing. I "reported them" for going off topic, never providing facts and bashing Gail.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45

Mlseker wrote

I sure am glad that the Trump admin stopped that "gotcha" game, especially when it is helping the middle class and poor. you know..the 99%.

--------------------------------

You are confusing the issues - as Richva said, his (this) thread is about the chaos which began over who was in charge of the CFPB after the resignation by Mr. Cordray.  That was the political maneuvering "gotcha" which I was discussing.

The overall concept and execution of the CFPB would be another topic.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The real issue here is "Will Der Trumper be allowed to destroy consumer financial protection by sabotaging the agency designed to PROTECT consumers after we all saw why such protection was needed after the jrbush crash destroyed the finances of tens of millions of Americans with predatory lending.

neoRepublicans support a return to predatory lending and the redistribution of wealth from the middle Class to the very top of the 1%, and this will be greatly enhanced by the removal of the CFPA from the game.

Progressives believe robbing people with slimy business practices is wrong and think it should not ever be allowed to return to jrbush levels.

What are those Bush43 levels of slimy business practices that concern you? Let's not forget that there were two major causes for the meltdown and the aftermath - both government inspired. 

First there was the idea of getting people into homes they obviously could not afford. There was a boom and people traded up and traded up. And then as happens with any boom, along came the bust.

Then in the "solution" phase there was the "too big to fail" idea which required the government to pay off the debts of those bankers that upset you so.

Got any direct experience with that? or are you just reading the wrong stuff again. Wall st hiring physicists to cover the tracks of the bogus loans?

So it begins.
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors