Missed it by one vote? Not really.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Missed it by one vote? Not really.

Message 1 of 3

I agree if McCain wasn't that one vote, someone else would have filled in. There was going to be no repeal of ObamaCare. 

However, I think tax reform will be different. Big business wants, and will get their tax breaks.

I'm sure they'll toss in a few crumbs for the common folk to make it feel like some sort of victory. 

What I'm wondering is - Will they raise the debt ceiling? I'll guess "yes", justifying it with the War on Terror and/or Korea. They'll put "national security" ahead of economic security. And the country will fall deeper in debt until Washington decides that there's no choice - cut entitlements.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Missed it by one vote? Not really.

Message 2 of 3

You are right but I did hear the rumor that President Trump could appoint a Democratic Senator to a cabinet post of their liking and have the (Republican) governor of that state appoint a like-minded Republic to fill the Senate void until a special election.

Politics are really sneaky and the party doesn't really matter - it is just the game.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Missed it by one vote? Not really.

Message 3 of 3

Republicans and Trump have claimed that they only needed one more vote in order to pass the Obamacare Repeal and Replace in the Senate. From a mathematical point of view, this is correct but not so from a political point of view.  Senators disclose to each other where they stand on each vote. This is why some legislation is pulled rather than take a loss. McCain "took the bullet" on this one so his fellow Republican Senators could look like loyal team players to their constituents.  But make no mistake, a different Republican would have been put forward, or perhaps a group of them, if "a" McCain had not been available. 

My point is that the divisions in the Republican Senate on upcoming bills are not going to depend on getting "just one vote". That is smoke and mirrors and way too simple for the actual facts on the ground.  

Tax reform, the nect budget, and even keeping the government open after September will all be  very risky propositions for Republicans, even if they find one more vote. 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Now until February 11, play this classic game online at AARP. Get in the game and play now.

jeopardy for aarp logo

Top Authors