Views

Re: Mexico's president open to negotiating with US over Trump's tariff threat

Message 1 of 65

@Richva wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
Mexico's president open to negotiating with US over Trump's tariff threat

Good news!

-------------------------------------

As usual our Trump haters can not stand the good news. As their usual they put their selfish political agenda ahead of what is best for ALL Americans. Shame on them!

Remember, NK President Kim was also open to negotiation and Trump ended up coming home with his pants around his ankles after Kim spanked him and then dismissed him.  

Heck, with Trump's track record on negotiating deals, I would love negotiate something with him. 

Donny Bonespurs has never been able to negotiate anything that did not end in disaster, but so long as he keeps doing all he can to harm those his worshipers hate, the worship will continue.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 65

@MaVolta wrote:

But wait, there's more!! Mexico just published that "secret" agreement . . . and it's a big nothing burger. No mention of trade, no mention of tariffs, only that the two parties would continue working on the problem, and Mexico would take some actions to which they had previously agreed. Another day, another threat, another lie, all for Trump's self-glorification.

You nailed it @MsStretch !

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/read-trumps-secret-deal-with-mexico-848667/

Snip ✂:

It’s just one more example of how Trump manufactures a crisis, makes escalating threats, and then “solves” the crisis that didn’t ever exist in the first place. All to make himself look like the conquering hero.

BINGO!  We've seen this ploy before too.

(And his base besties go wild! 😝)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 65

But wait, there's more!! Mexico just published that "secret" agreement . . . and it's a big nothing burger. No mention of trade, no mention of tariffs, only that the two parties would continue working on the problem, and Mexico would take some actions to which they had previously agreed. Another day, another threat, another lie, all for Trump's self-glorification.

You nailed it @MsStretch !

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/read-trumps-secret-deal-with-mexico-848667/

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 65

Thanks, @MsStretch .

It seems to me that if Trump is telling Mexico to solve our border crisis, they would want something more (like money) in order to deal with the problem. I think that they have a stronger bargaining position than maybe Trump thinks. But I don't know, just my guess.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 65

@MaVolta wrote:

Trump keeps referring to a "secret deal" with the Mexican President Obrador. We know that tariff threats alone didn't drive this deal since Senate R's had already warned against it. It would be devastating for both countries.

We also know that the US still wants Mexico to declare safe third country status for asylum seekers. Perhaps that is the part of the agreement to which Obrador referred that has to be voted on by the Mexican government. Or, maybe it's something else.

My question is - what is Mexico asking for? or what will be in it for them? I don't think it's entirely about tariffs. So what's the big secret?

According to the Washington Post and Reuters, whose photographs of the piece of paper Trump was waving around when he was talking about 'THE SECRET DEAL' allowed them to read part of the text, nothing more was revealed that Mexico hasn't already talked about publicly.  

On Friday, Mexican Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard did say that they agreed to a 45-day trial period to significantly change numbers at the border without a safe third country agreement.  He acknowledged that if Mexico fails Trump's lithmus test, than the 'safe third' would be applied (although seriously, it won't be that easy as Mexico continues to resist such an agreement and other countries would likely be involved in negotiations).  [See WP link.]

The talk of details to be revealed soon of  'THE SECRET DEAL' smacks of a common ploy used in reality TV.  Trump has used it before -- dangling coming attractions of important announcements or news to be made at a later date.  (It usually always proves to be anti-climatic.)  You know the drill, tune in next week for more exciting action!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 65

Trump keeps referring to a "secret deal" with the Mexican President Obrador. We know that tariff threats alone didn't drive this deal since Senate R's had already warned against it. It would be devastating for both countries.

We also know that the US still wants Mexico to declare safe third country status for asylum seekers. Perhaps that is the part of the agreement to which Obrador referred that has to be voted on by the Mexican government. Or, maybe it's something else.

My question is - what is Mexico asking for? or what will be in it for them? I don't think it's entirely about tariffs. So what's the big secret?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 65

@jimc91 wrote:

Hey @john258 , It worked so what’s the problem?  

I know it was Trump’s idea and you just hate that, right?

TOO FUNNY!!

Well here you see the far right in operation. What is posted makes no sense nor does it have anything to do with the subject, but they think it is two funny. What is funny or really sad is we have people in this country who have so little understanding on any subject, and will post what ever their leaders tell them to no matter how much harm it does to all of us. As I have said before this is how Germany got their Dictator in the 1930. 20% of Germans were on the same track as 30% of Americans are today, and look what happened to Germany.

Here is a quick summary of the current subject on Mexico Tariffs: Item 1. US started making asylum seekers wait in Mexico for  hearings about a year ago. Fed. Judge stopped it. Item 2 Mexico just started to form a National Guard which they were going to send to their southern border. Trump demanded Mexico stop flow to our border or face tariffs. He  had a list of things they had to do. Mexico turned them down. Trump was told by Senate Reb. they would block his tariffs so he had to create a win from a loss. Trump took the 2 things Mexico was doing already and said they were new so they complied with his demands so no tariffs. Trump lied as he always does.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 65

@KidBoy2 wrote:

MsStretch posted..

Actually, Fox News did have a couple of reports.

Nielsen announces deal with Mexico to overhaul asylum process, combat 'catch and release'
Migrants fearful after hundreds arrested in Mexico raid
A look at what Mexico has done to limit the tide of migrants

=============================================================

Glad you watch FOX News.

I take it you don't?  Or you only watch the talking heads (or you would have known this otherwise)?

Spoiler
Nah, I don't watch Fox News OR the talking heads.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 65

MsStretch posted..

Actually, Fox News did have a couple of reports.

Nielsen announces deal with Mexico to overhaul asylum process, combat 'catch and release'
Migrants fearful after hundreds arrested in Mexico raid
A look at what Mexico has done to limit the tide of migrants

=============================================================

Glad you watch FOX News.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 65

Hey @john258 , It worked so what’s the problem?  

I know it was Trump’s idea and you just hate that, right?

TOO FUNNY!!

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Ask the Expert: What advice do you need to better manage your stress and anxiety?

Clinical Psychologists Barry Jacobs and Julie Mayer will answer your questions on how to cope with the major life change, anxiety, and sadness we are all facing these days. Ask a question now and tune in live on May 27, 3-5 p.m. ET.

Top Authors