Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: MedicareForAll

Message 11 of 48

@CriticalThinking wrote:

One should never expect Trump Cult members to deal with FACTS. 

"Medicare for All" is NOT Medicaid."Medicare for All" is paid for by the people who are working and paying Medicare premiums out of their paycheck.

Medicaid is a welfare program where health care is provided for free to people who cannot afford to pay health insurance premiums.

Exactly - and those are the people supposedly in need, so help them via Medicaid.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: #MedicareForAll

Message 12 of 48

@gordyfl wrote:

"We're very, very lucky."

"We can go anywhere we want." (unlike HMOs in the U.S.)

"We don't need to be pre-approved by an insurance company."

"We can choose our own doctor."

Deductable? - "Huh?"

"On the whole, it's really a fabulous system."

"We make sure the least of us and the best of us are taken care of."

Life-Threatening Heart Attack Leaves Teacher With $108,951 Bill
Drew Calver, a high school history teacher and swim coach in Austin, Texas, had a heart attack at his home on April 2, 2017. A neighbor rushed him to the nearby emergency room at St. David's Medical Center, which wasn't in the school district's health plan.

Editor's note: Shortly after this story was published and broadcast, St. David's said it was now willing to accept $782.29 to resolve the $108,951 balance because Drew Calver qualifies for its "financial assistance discount."

Drew Calver took out his trash cans and then waved goodbye to his wife, Erin, as she left for the grocery store the morning that upended his picture-perfect life.
Minutes later, the popular high school history teacher and swim coach in Austin, Texas, collapsed in his bedroom from a heart attack. He pounded his fist on the bed frame, violent chest pains pinning him to the floor.
"I thought I was dying," the 44-year-old father recalled. A neighbor rushed him to the nearby emergency room at St. David's Medical Center on April 2, 2017.
The ER doctors confirmed the damage to Calver's heart and admitted him to the hospital's cardiac unit. The next day, doctors implanted stents in his clogged "widow-maker" artery.

Calver asked from his hospital bed whether his health insurance would cover all of this, a financial worry that accompanies nearly every American hospital stay.

He was concerned because St. David's is out-of-network on his school district health plan.

The hospital told him not to worry and that they would accept his insurance, Calver said.

The hospital charged $164,941 for his surgery and four days in the hospital. Aetna, which administers health benefits for the Austin Independent School District, paid the hospital $55,840, records show.

Despite the difference of more than $100,000, with the hospital's prior assurance, Calver believed he would not bear much, if any, out-of-pocket payment for his life-threatening emergency and the surgery that saved him.

Then the bills came.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/08/27/640891882/life-threatening-heart-attack-leaves-...

This is the second biggest problem with our non-system, first being it "misses" 43 Million Americans. We need a National Law setting the allowable rates for all medical procedures - the Insurance industry and the Provider Corporations have already done this, so it's just a matter of collecting the information in one place.

No more "Charge Master" which is used to maximize profits and has NOTHING to do with the actual cost of providing care.

No more "patient responsible for costs", it's all between the Corporations.

No more uninsured Americans.

OR we could just have all the premiums go to the Government, the Government would "Nationalize" Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac and use the well administered home mortgages to earn the money to cover the difference between premium income and expense for care. Then the Insurance Industry could go back to insuring THINGS and We the People would take care people.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 48

"We're very, very lucky."

"We can go anywhere we want." (unlike HMOs in the U.S.)

"We don't need to be pre-approved by an insurance company."

"We can choose our own doctor."

Deductable? - "Huh?"

"On the whole, it's really a fabulous system."

"We make sure the least of us and the best of us are taken care of."

Life-Threatening Heart Attack Leaves Teacher With $108,951 Bill
Drew Calver, a high school history teacher and swim coach in Austin, Texas, had a heart attack at his home on April 2, 2017. A neighbor rushed him to the nearby emergency room at St. David's Medical Center, which wasn't in the school district's health plan.

Editor's note: Shortly after this story was published and broadcast, St. David's said it was now willing to accept $782.29 to resolve the $108,951 balance because Drew Calver qualifies for its "financial assistance discount."

Drew Calver took out his trash cans and then waved goodbye to his wife, Erin, as she left for the grocery store the morning that upended his picture-perfect life.
Minutes later, the popular high school history teacher and swim coach in Austin, Texas, collapsed in his bedroom from a heart attack. He pounded his fist on the bed frame, violent chest pains pinning him to the floor.
"I thought I was dying," the 44-year-old father recalled. A neighbor rushed him to the nearby emergency room at St. David's Medical Center on April 2, 2017.
The ER doctors confirmed the damage to Calver's heart and admitted him to the hospital's cardiac unit. The next day, doctors implanted stents in his clogged "widow-maker" artery.

Calver asked from his hospital bed whether his health insurance would cover all of this, a financial worry that accompanies nearly every American hospital stay.

He was concerned because St. David's is out-of-network on his school district health plan.

The hospital told him not to worry and that they would accept his insurance, Calver said.

The hospital charged $164,941 for his surgery and four days in the hospital. Aetna, which administers health benefits for the Austin Independent School District, paid the hospital $55,840, records show.

Despite the difference of more than $100,000, with the hospital's prior assurance, Calver believed he would not bear much, if any, out-of-pocket payment for his life-threatening emergency and the surgery that saved him.

Then the bills came.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/08/27/640891882/life-threatening-heart-attack-leaves-...

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 48

@john258

It is Bernie's plan - it is already written up in the form of legislation - it was introduced last year.  I think it is S.B. 1803 but I am just guessing at the number, can't remember for sure.

He has a time line in the legislation.

I am an expert !

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 48

It is like I said, just the name of the program "Medicare" brings all kinds of pie in the sky visions to many people - I think if a Millenial saw some of our monthly premiums for this and that, the copays, the deductibles, they might be disallusioned -

You keep bringing up those systems in other countries - OK, let's put in some of the things which they use to control their cost here and know down our cost a bit and see what people think.  Personally, I don't think a lot of people would like some of these other country ways.  

Add that to our vastly different lifestyles between urban and rural living (real rural) and our shear number in populations and we have little commonality in how an overall system could work.  Medicare has this problem now, so does the VA and Medicaid too.   Canada has this problem too with their Intuit population.

We need a starting point and I personally think that should be in corralling our health care cost - that would help our system now, it would let us know how people feel about this cost containing methods and it would be a good prelim if we ever went to a single payer system because cost containment has to be part of any new design system.

Until then we can pursue forced methods of getting everybody insured - emphasis on forced.  We can use reinsurance programs to cover people over a spending limit level of health care cost thus removing some of the premium increases due to some high health care users.

We have a bunch of legislators from both parties that don't want to rock the boat because their job is more secure by not rocking the boat.  They don't want to compromise on anything for basically the same reason.  So . . . .

Wish On.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 48

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I agree and that is the point of the updated program called "Medicare for All". It will be used to fix the current Medicare model and then improve it by EXTENDING coverage to every American citizen and legal resident. The perfect upgrade. 

Have you read it?  It is more complicated than just using the current Medicare model and extending coverage.  

There are some things in it that we could begin to try now as cost containment.  More cost cutting is needed - we can use methods other countries use if our citizens will go for it.

I cannot find where the continuous funding mechanism is coming from -

What happen if we go over the budget?

it keeps,the VA system in place but no more other programs - no more Medicaid, no more Medicare, no more CHIP, no more Tricare, no more FEHB.  I don't remember reading anything about the IHS.

Do you like the way prescription drugs are determined for the formulary inclusion, including price, use of generics?

Not sure that some doctors, ( the ones that do not participate in Medicare now) will like it  - we would need all we can get.

It is our vast number of private hospitals vs public and nonprofit which may also be a problem too.

I see a good bit of Personel problems with cost control - 

Healthcare is a very personal thing so, just like Obamacare, the detailed plan needs  to be sold to the Citizens - can it be, I personally don't think so.  People not on Medicare don't know much about it - heck many people on it don't know either.  Think people are looking for some pie in the sky płan and each visualizes it in a different way, perhaps on their own needs or desires.   

What about care for those who don't have legal citizenship status?

Would have to dissect it more.  And then everything would be based on what it cost - for all of us, for families, for employers, for each level of income.

I will not hold my breath -  

It will not happen all at once. We already have in place Medicare which covers all over 65. You leave that alone for the most part. The ACA was the bridge to the people under 65, and Trump and the Reb. have destroyed a lot of the ACA. You restore the ACA to what it was intended to be and then build using Medicare as an example. The ACA becomes the Medicare for the under 65. The systems exist for that to happen as you can use what Medicare has in place just make it fit the new program. You start just as our medicare started and build over time. There are experts that can do this. Here are some comments on your points.

1. We do not have to read it the experts do. We see and read it as they build it.

2. Experts set what and when the various parts start as that must be part of the overall plan. There will be parts most people do not understand but that is why you have real experts working for us. They put country and people first. Yes it can happen. Most people will not understand what is happening just look at a lot of the posts in here on this subject. I would suggest they keep all far right out of this totally as they only would hurt not help.

3. You do not have to find anything as that is the developers job they know what they are doing.

4. I have a strong feeling that all current systems would stay in place for some time and once the master system is up the experts look to see what happens with them. I have a feeling the IHS would stay separate due to the problems it faces, but is modified for those living in non reservation areas.

5. Experts will handle drug problems. That will be an easy one for them. The IHS does it now.

6. All Dr. will use it period as everyone will be in it. Where I am there are about zero who do not take medicare. The problem in this area is mainly in the south. N. FL, GA, AL. etc. They will join the majority of Dr. and serve the people.

8. No change in Hospitals to start but that should change. I would end the private for profit hospitals as from what I have seen they do a bad job. Have seen them take 2 from good to going under.

9. I would think there will be few personal problems with cost control. The experts can handle it.

10. Yes it has to be sold but I am sure the  experts can do that. In the selling you are telling how the program works not asking people how they would like it to work as most have not a clue what a good health program is. You keep the special interest groups out of it, and the far right as they will kill everything they touch, and have.

11. Citizenship is a red herring. Just like every other country in the world you treat them. The experts will handle this with no trouble.

12. No we the people would not have to dissect the program as that is the job for the experts. We the people let the program get screwed up today so it is time to get out of the way.

13. Yes we should all hold our breath. We can all get this process moving by not vote for anyone who is part of the current Reb. far right as they have caused a lot of the problems we have now, and kept the experts from doing  their job. We need to put people and country first. No more let them die in the streets approach. In the end we will all save money.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 48

@GailL1 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I agree and that is the point of the updated program called "Medicare for All". It will be used to fix the current Medicare model and then improve it by EXTENDING coverage to every American citizen and legal resident. The perfect upgrade. 

Have you read it?  It is more complicated than just using the current Medicare model and extending coverage.  

There are some things in it that we could begin to try now as cost containment.  More cost cutting is needed - we can use methods other countries use if our citizens will go for it.

it keeps,the VA system in place but no more other programs - no more Medicaid, no more Medicare, no more CHIP, no more Tricare, no more FEHB.  I don't remember reading anything about the IHS.

Do you like the way prescription drugs are determined for the formulary inclusion, including price, use of generics?

Not sure that some doctors, ( the ones that do not participate in Medicare now) will like it  - we would need all we can get.

It is our vast number of private hospitals vs public and nonprofit which may also be a problem too.

Healthcare is a very personal thing so, just like Obamacare, the detailed plan needs  to be sold to the Citizens - can it be, I personally don't think so.  People not on Medicare don't know much about it - heck many people on it don't know either.  Think people are looking for some pie in the sky płan and each visualizes it in a different way, perhaps on their own needs or desires.   

Would have to dissect it more.  And then everything would be based on what it cost - for all of us, for families, for employers, for each level of income.

Of COURSE it is more complicated.  On the other hand, the conservatives here are getting all worked up because the of the name.  If they can't handle whatever the program is called, their heads will explode when they start to look at the details. Of course, they won't. 

Still, we have an advantage of having EVERY OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRY in the world already having implemented universal medical coverage so I think we can find a way to do it. Don't you?

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 48

@Richva wrote:

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 48

@rk9152 wrote:
That would seem to indicate that Medicaid needs fixing. Why not push for that. In other words, why mess with a program that is doing it's intended thing rather than fixing one that isn't?

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 48

@rk9152 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

We already have "Medicare for All". It is commonly called Medicaid. If you don't make enough money to buy real healthcare insurance and you're not eligible for Medicare, then you qualify for Medicaid. Don't like Medicaid? Maybe the left wants guaranteed free housing, free cars, free cell phones, free insurance, and free food all compliments of people working hard to PAY for their own!

You are incorrect. It is  called ER Care. As I said all should learn the subject before trying to discuss it.

That would seem to indicate that Medicaid needs fixing. Why not push for that. In other words, why mess with a program that is doing it's intended thing rather than fixing one that isn't?

After you learn the programs you will not have to ask. Sadly the far right understands none of this.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors