Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: #MedicareForAll

Message 41 of 48

Yea, why include the insurance companies for universal "basic coverage".

They spend too much money on lobbyists, ads, CEO pay, campaign donations, stock options. On top of that, they'll want to make a nice profit to keep their shareholders happy.

Anything beyond basic coverage, perhaps they could be included.

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 48

We can call it "Patriot Healtcare". I think then a lot of Republicans will get on board.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 43 of 48

@Richva wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Short version of "Medicare for All", aka Universal, single payer health care.

The "single payer" will be Uncle Sam. The Government will receive the bill from your provider and make reimbursement according to the pre-agreed schedule of payments, YOU will NOT be responsible for anything the provider thinks was "under-paid".

The Government will then go to your insurance provider and collect the pre-agreed payment. Again, YOU will not be involved in having to get the insurance company to pay.

There will be a "standard format" for the providers to use in requesting reimbursement and another for the government receiving reimbursement from the insurance company. This single elimination of paperwork will save the system enough money to provide a "basic level" of insurance for everyone currently uninsured equal to the "Bronze Plan" under Obamacare.

This is close to every Universal health plan in Europe, EXCEPT the UK where the Government actually operates the hospitals and employs the doctors.

Repubicans will oppose this because the 1% do not receive special treatment, and the actual benefits will go the ALL Americans.

Actually, I think the government would not interact with the insurance companies. Looking at other countries, the bill comes to the government and the government  applies the rules and then pays it.  That is what insurance companies do and there is no need to include them as an additional layer. IMHO. 

I think you've overlooked HOW the insurance company is able to make the payments using no more than 80% of the premiums collected - THEY INVEST.

Not sure about making Uncle Sam a portfolio manager, and SSTF and Medicare Trust Fund "Invest" in special Government securities with a LEGISLATED ROI.

Both those are included as part of the National Debt, and increasing that by the amount we spend each year on health insurance would probably be a "hard sell". Just having the citizens send Uncle Sam their premium checks then requires the Gov't to decide how/if coverage will change over time and if premiums need to be increased or decreased based on the cost of services.

What I suggested is pretty much how Germany does it.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 48

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The "single payer" will be Uncle Sam. The Government will receive the bill from your provider and make reimbursement according to the pre-agreed schedule of payments, YOU will NOT be responsible for anything the provider thinks was "under-paid".

The Government will then go to your insurance provider and collect the pre-agreed payment. Again, YOU will not be involved in having to get the insurance company to pay.

There will be a "standard format" for the providers to use in requesting reimbursement and another for the government receiving reimbursement from the insurance company. This single elimination of paperwork will save the system enough money to provide a "basic level" of insurance for everyone currently uninsured equal to the "Bronze Plan" under Obamacare.

This is close to every Universal health plan in Europe, EXCEPT the UK where the Government actually operates the hospitals and employs the doctors.

Repubicans will oppose this because the 1% do not receive special treatment, and the actual benefits will go the ALL Americans.

Actually, I think the government would not interact with the insurance companies. Looking at other countries, the bill comes to the government and the government  applies the rules and then pays it.  That is what insurance companies do and there is no need to include them as an additional layer. IMHO. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 48

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 46 of 48

@rk9152 wrote:

@RoyB381260 wrote:

#MedicareForAll will provide MANY MORE and MUCH IMPROVED BENENFITS FOR SENIORS .. and for every AMERICAN CITIZEN .. it will cut the enormous profits TAKEN by insurers before payimg for care for US. I am a INDEPENDENT and I will vote against the republicans that are trying to cut OUR MEDICAL .. SOCIAL SECURITY and other benefits WE desparately need.

PLEASE be extra vigilent and KNOW what is being proposed in Washington .

Medicare is only available to those who paid into it. Will that be the case with Medicare for all? If not, you have the wrong name.

OK. We will change the name to Healthcare-for-All and that will resolve your issue. 

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 47 of 48

@RoyB381260 wrote:

#MedicareForAll will provide MANY MORE and MUCH IMPROVED BENENFITS FOR SENIORS .. and for every AMERICAN CITIZEN .. it will cut the enormous profits TAKEN by insurers before payimg for care for US. I am a INDEPENDENT and I will vote against the republicans that are trying to cut OUR MEDICAL .. SOCIAL SECURITY and other benefits WE desparately need.

Medicare is only available to those who paid into it. Will that be the case with Medicare for all? If not, you have the wrong name.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

#MedicareForAll

Message 48 of 48

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors