From festivals to better food, amusement parks are adding features for older adults. Take a look at what's new!

Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Medicare's Coverage for Bad Debt

Message 21 of 27

How about the "Affordable Care Act" actually mean that; medical costs be real?

I broke my wrist in 2014, went to urgent care (as recommended by my hmo) who sent me to ortho office (3 visits (cast-progress xray cast-removal) met the ortho 2x for less than 5 minutes total: $3700.00

I'm sorry to be so stupid but their total time (techs and MD) and materials added up to about $1500 in real world. Perhaps they were hedging bitcoin?

Just saying I believe in the United States, medical care has become high-profit business and we cannot afford that, imho.

#VegasStrong

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 27

Stop dinking around with stuff you know doesn't have to be that way.  Dead-beats have been with us since 'the beginning'.  They will be with us until 'the end'.  There are real 'dead-beats' out there.  Guys who could easily pay their way IF they wanted to, but 'stick-it to the other guy' because they can. 

One thing guaranteed to get a rise out of me is to not meet your legitimate obligations and pay your debts when you can. Chiselers. 'The donald' is a prime example to point to when it comes to not paying your legitimate obligations IF you can get away with it.  Some even do it knowing they will get caught because the profit outweighs the consequences.  In my profession it was hard not to come in contact with guys like that.  A significant amount of my professional life was spent making the chiseler 'pay up' and figuring out ways to stop them from doing it again.  Not because I wanted to, but as it turned out, I was good at it.

The so-called 'compassionate conservative' has used the 'dead-beat' ploy for a long time now without really trying to come up with an effective way to separate that 'dead-beat' from the truly unfortunate...particularly in the health care system.  That tactic inevitablly causes that truly unfortunate soul real and consequential pain.

It is way past time to solve this problem by making adequate and effective health care available to all citizens of this country.  I've lost patience with the self-serving nay-sayers using complexity to grind a political axe and enable fraud in the process.  We, as citizens of this nation, and partcipants in the society that is the very reason for its existence, pay for all of it in the end...even to keep the guys in the slammer alive while they pay for the fraud that put them there. 

So...let's do it in the most effective, economic way possible.  Saying we don't know how to do that or that it can't be done or throwing up the "yeah, well what about......" is pure BULL in service to a political agenda crafted to get out of paying a fair share of its cost.  Drop the charade..it really is getting stale.    

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 27

@rker321 wrote:

Gail  what about those who simply waltz into the ER and are not Medicare/Medicaid  patients and simply don't pay for the services?  what can be done for those people?

How about we stay ON Topic -

I am talking about saving MEDICARE 30 billion over 10 years by only paying 25% of the Bad Debt people on Medicare don't pay as their part of the charges - you know the Part A deductible, the Part B deductible, and the 20% of the Medicare approved amount that Medicare does not pay.

You can start another thread on your question- but basically what happens is if they are eligible for Medicaid - they sign them up right then and there.  If not Medicaid eligible, they get a bill and if they don't pay the bill, it goes to collections - if no money ever comes back to the provider - it is cost shifted to those that do pay in whatever way. 

The Federal government still gives out DHS payments to those hospital that service a big number of Medicaid or uninsured patients, so this makes up some of the funds being lost.

Medicaid.gov - Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) Payments

Federal law requires that state Medicaid programs make Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) payments to qualifying hospitals that serve a large number of Medicaid and uninsured individuals.

* * * * * * It’s Always Something - Roseanne Rosannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 27

@MIseker wrote:
Around here ( tri ounty area) if you have an outstanding bill they wont treat you. the system in my county makes people with no cash sign up for a credit card on the spot..like in the lobby of the ER.

I am my brothers keeper.

You mean if a person has Medicare they make them pay (whatever) as their part of the out of pocket?

Remember with these folks, they have Medicare and Medicare will pay the Medicare part of the charges.

I don't think they would be turning people away that have Medicare as their primary insurance?

Am I wrong?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 27

Gail  what about those who simply waltz into the ER and are not Medicare/Medicaid  patients and simply don't pay for the services?  what can be done for those people?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 27
Around here ( tri ounty area) if you have an outstanding bill they wont treat you. the system in my county makes people with no cash sign up for a credit card on the spot..like in the lobby of the ER.

I am my brothers keeper.
So it begins.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Medicare's Coverage for Bad Debt

Message 27 of 27

Should it continue at all or be reduced?

Now here is a place where the cost of Medicare could be reduced and not affect benefits.

Did you even know it existed?

CBO - 12/08/2016 - REDUCE MEDICARE'S COVERAGE OF BAD DEBT

Note how much we would save if we reduced it to 25% coverage in this CBO analysis - currently at 65% coverage for most all providers.

Understand that this is when hospitals and other providers of health care are unable to collect out-of-pocket payments from their Medicare patients, those uncollected funds are called bad debt.   This includes Part A and B deductibles and the 20% of the Medicare approved cost that is the patient's responsibility.

This does not include those who are dual eligible for the most part (Medicare/Medicaid) nor does it include those who are on Medicare because of ESRD.

These are pretty much just regular Medicare beneficiaries who do not pay what they are suppose to pay to their providers- Doctors, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, acute care facilities, clinics, etc.

Many of you are paying out of pocket for a supplemental plan to cover these cost or a lot of these cost - but some people don't pay for a supplemental AND they just don't pay their part for one reason or another - so Medicare pays according to a formula  after the providers collection efforts have failed.

30 billion in savings over 10 years -

Kudos
Views
Replies