Take control of your brain health as you age. Visit Staying Sharp — it's free for AARP members.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Medicaid Programs Drowning in Backlog

Message 31 of 47

This was as predictable as rain in April or snow in January in Cleveland Ohio. I cannot speak for the other states that have accepted the Medicaid expansion under the ACA, but I do know a lot about what is going on in Ohio which I believe is fairly typical. 

Ohio's Republican governor did the right thing when he pushed against his party and expanded Medicaid for Ohio. I never saw any other issue where the Ohio Right to Life and Planned Parenthood supporting the same thing. The same also applies to the Ohio Association of Manufacturers, the Ohio Chamber of Commerce and the Ohio AFL-CIO also supporting the same issue - expanding Medicaid. The Ohio Hospital Association, the Ohio Medical Association and even the Ohio Health Underwriters Association also supported Medicaid expansion. Only the tea party groups and die hard opponents of Obamacare were against expanding Medicaid. In addition polls showed that more than 60% of Ohio voters approved of expanding Medicaid. 

But it took some political manuvering to get the Medicaid expansion done. It was finally approved in October 2013 when the governor used an obscure vote on a board he controlled to get it passed, completely bypassing the Ohio legislature that refused to allow it to come up for a vote. The Ohio legislature is dominated by Republicans and had they allowed a vote on Medicaid expansion, it would have passed easily. But there were many sensible, moderate Republicans who would have voted for the Medicaid expansion who didn't want to go on record as voting for it because they feared a primary challenge in 2014 from the right. The tea party was threatening to challenge any Republican who supported any form of Obamacare in the 2014 primary. And since the Ohio legislative districts are so gerrymandered to favor Republicans, it could mean certain defeat for any moderate Republican. 

When the Medicaid expansion was finally approved, the state built a web site for enrollment and it went "live" in December. It worked fine and I was able to enroll many people in Medicaid through that web site. I was not alone as there were volunteers and enrollers all across the state using that web site to enroll people who might be eligible for Medicaid under the new expansion. 

But it never occurred to the governor or anyone in charge that because of the flood of enrollment applications and the ensuing need to verify the information and determine eligibility (which was my job forty years ago when i worked at a local welfare office) that they should hire additional personnel to handle the work. The Medicaid enrollment will be a continuous thing as people will continue to enroll throughout the year and longer. In addition those who are eligible now might find employment and become ineligible in the future as well as people will lose their jobs and become eligible in the future. It will be a constantly shifting and changing demographic as people move on and off the Medicaid system. 

I have some people whose only income is social security benefits who have been waiting since late January to find out if they are eligible for Medicaid. Calling the Medicaid consumer hot line is a waste of time since you can never talk to a human. I called that line a few weeks ago to inquire about someone (who was with me at the time) I had enrolled who wanted to know what was going on and I got a voice prompt telling me that my phone number was identified and i would receive a call back when my number came up. I received that call back five days later on a Saturday afternoon when I was at home. Of course I didn't have that person with me or his information so that call was a waste. 

It never occurred to those that perhaps expanding Medicaid would require the hiring of additional personnel to handle the case load. Since that is a direct result of the Medicaid expansion, those personnel costs would be covered through the federal government. But the Republicans in Ohio hate public employees so why hire more of them? Besides they would join the union and vote Democratic. So why not swamp the existing employees and burn them out?

I saw that happen more than once when I worked at the local welfare office in the mid 1970s. So why should things be any different forty years later, especially when Republicans are in charge? 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 47

EXCELLENT NEWS - I would much rather hear that this program in having growth problems.  In the not so perfect world in which we exist - some seem to believe that if everything doesn't go as planned - that the program should be what????   scrapped?   

Gee whiz, I had a problem / delay when applying for a Federal Program....did I throw my hands up and wail: Oh Woe Is Me, end the program?   NOPE.   

Please keep whining - it will prompt the States who actually are experiencing growth rates to innovate - to serve their new clientele.   :-)

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 47

@rker321 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

Now what is the point of your post. Is it to tell us that the new Medicaid is a great  has been accepted as a great new program, or it is a program that should be cancelled, or it is Obama fault for putting in a program that helps people and they like it. My guess is you think it is a failure, since you have never posted anything that would support a program that gives more people coverage.

Well like the full ACA it is a program that is wanted and needed, and if it were not for far right people would be able to have more help to handle the number signing up. But you can have no fear the problems will be handled  by the experts, and everyone will get their coverage inspite of the far right.

You know what John, I don't personally agree with many things that Gail says. and I have persoannly have challenged her many times. But in your specific case, you seem to have some intentional glee in criticizing anything and everything that she has to say and do.
I may not agree with Gail, and may not even believe in the many things that she posts, but, I want to hear different opinions, if you don't mind.

Both seems to be somewhat wrong.  But just imagine that with the ACA there are multitudes signing up for Medicaid after they've found they are eligible.  So many in the past hasn't been aware of it until now.  No wonder there is a huge backlog.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 47

@rker321 wrote:

I may not agree with Gail, and may not even believe in the many things that she posts, but, I want to hear different opinions, if you don't mind.

How is John stopping you from hearing different opinions?  John's is another opinion...he's not asking you to like it. 

........This post has been edited to remove the personal attack.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 47

@john258 wrote:

Now what is the point of your post. Is it to tell us that the new Medicaid is a great  has been accepted as a great new program, or it is a program that should be cancelled, or it is Obama fault for putting in a program that helps people and they like it. My guess is you think it is a failure, since you have never posted anything that would support a program that gives more people coverage.

Well like the full ACA it is a program that is wanted and needed, and if it were not for far right people would be able to have more help to handle the number signing up. But you can have no fear the problems will be handled  by the experts, and everyone will get their coverage inspite of the far right.

You know what John, I don't personally agree with many things that Gail says. and I have persoannly have challenged her many times. But in your specific case, you seem to have some intentional glee in criticizing anything and everything that she has to say and do.

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 47

@GailL1 wrote:

Centristin2014,The linked article reported on a lady in California that has been waiting since October 2013.

The linked report seemed to have tried to establish some blame when it reported:

"Federal officials conceded some of the blame for the delay can be put squarely at the feet of the federal website, healthcare.gov. That website transferred data about applicants whose income looked like they might qualify for Medicaid to the state system, but in a format the state system couldn't use.

. . . . .Matt Salo, executive director of the National Association of Medicaid Directors, said many of the problems relate to the way HealthCare.gov transfers information to states about consumers who appear to qualify for Medicaid based on their incomes. But there are state-specific issues, as well.

"It's been the number one issue of concern for our members for the past nine months or so," he said in an email. "The problems are getting fixed, but what worries people is that we're only a few months away from NEXT year's open enrollment, so we have to hurry."

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 47
Hey, that is not a bad idea. You see, everything has a solution. hoping that at least they get temp pay of some kind of salary.
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 47

Maybe they could use those "navigators" who will have some down time until the 2015 enrollment comes around on Nov. 15, 2014.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 47
Well, they sure do find money for other superfluous things, these are jobs. they will decrease their welfare and other things plus they will be stimulating the economy.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 47

@GailL1 wrote:

Centristin2014,The linked article reported on a lady in California that has been waiting since October 2013.

Not sure I understand your point.  Yes...there is a backlog and some have been adversely effected....changes nothing....the backlog still needs to be worked through.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views