Get Your Fraud & Scam Questions Answered in the AARP Online Community! Find Out More!

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Medicaid Cuts

Message 81 of 90

GS-- unless very shortsighted, "young folks" will realize that someday they will need the same care as two people now. In addition, "young folks" should realize that you don't have to be old to need Medicaid. "There but for the grace of God, go I,"is an adage all should keep in mind.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 82 of 90
I wonder how young folks who are gonna pay the bills feel about this? They have a voice and a vote.
Double edge sword for most. No one wants to pay more but no one wants to cap spending. My instincts tell me cuts are coming... but where exactly? The big expense is for mental health apparently at 42%. 34 States have already implemented provider rate restrictions and 43 states have begun cost saving initiatives in 2014.
Kinda scarey for some... for sure. It's late in the game for most of us retired folks to change things up at this point and we're probably gonna be affected in some way , but we will have the least amount of flexibility.

Hate is not a Christian virtue, neither is liberal sanctimony
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 90

KID--Your idea makes sense--if, you were lucky enough to be able to save during your youth.  If, you are able to afford a LTC policy, which many can't.  If, a catastrophic medical event hasn't drained you and yours of all savings.

I have a LTC policy.  Costs me $300. a month, and I struggle to pay it.  Doesn't cover everything that I would need in a nursing home, hospital, or at home receiving visiting nursing services. Based on current rates, I would be bankrupt within five years of being placed in a nursing home, and I have more retirement funds than anyone I know who is "middle class."

Liking what you see in a nursing home is far from the point.  Placement in a nursing home is a matter of medical need and often not a choice. 

So, although your ideas may sound great to you in theory, most of us don't live in the land of theories, conspiracy or otherwise, we live in a world where people struggle, kids are born and need clothing, shelter, food, education, and parents who have worked tirelessly all their lives find themselves struggling as old age finds them.  We live in a world where people become disabled during adolescence, early, middle, and late adulthood.

Theories are great-- however, people need more than theories.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 84 of 90

KidBoy2:  Do not cut Medicaid it's a needed program.

Congress should encourage people to save for their needs when able...like buying LTC insurance.

I have seen nursing homes that are not where I would want to be. The people working in nursing homes are in most cases underpaid, in my opinion and that shows in many ways.

For once, I agree with you, good post.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 85 of 90
Medicaid pays for most of the 1.4 million people in nursing homes, like Ms. Jacobs. It covers 20 percent of all Americans and 40 percent of poor adults.

==================================================

Do not cut Medicaid it's a needed program.

Congress should encourage people to save for their needs when able...like buying LTC insurance.

I have seen nursing homes that are not where I would want to be. The people working in nursing homes are in most cases underpaid, in my opinion and that shows in many ways.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 86 of 90

Thank you GS for your post, which is absolutely spot in.  The vast majority of those in nursing homes are on Medicaid.  Obviously, as I have said before, this means that the outlook is bleak. Here are just a few of the consequences of cut backs in Medicaid.

1.) staff is cut due to lack of funding and the desire to provide care and keep nursing homes and hospitals open

2.  Nursing homes close--hospitals close--staff find themselves unemployed and without insurance, INCREASING the need for Medicaid for the former caretakers

3.)  mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, you, me--forced to leave due to lack of funds

4.)  The above go to the home of a relative who is wholly unfit and unable to provide the needs of a ill or disabled person

5.)  Without proper care, victims of Medicaid cuts grow increasingly sicker--suffering for both victim and the forgotten victims--the families--increases exponentially

6.)  Death of original victim--nursing home or hospital patient

7.  This cycle escalates as the number of elderly patients increases  (boomers), and continues to negatively impact the disabled and ill who find themselves with no where to go for care, whether that be a nursing home hospital

Abhorrent is the name I would give to trump's bill--backed by shortsighted, ignorants who seem to be clueless--or totally uncaring with regard to the ramifications of cutting Medicaid funding

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 87 of 90

gruffstuff wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/science/medicaid-cutbacks-elderly-nursing-homes.html

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

ORANGE, Va. — Alice Jacobs, 90, once owned a factory and horses. She has raised four children and buried two husbands.

But years in an assisted living center drained her savings, and now she relies on Medicaid to pay for her care at Dogwood Village, a nonprofit, county-owned nursing home here.

“You think you’ve got enough money to last all your life, and here I am,” Ms. Jacobs said.

Medicaid pays for most of the 1.4 million people in nursing homes, like Ms. Jacobs. It covers 20 percent of all Americans and 40 percent of poor adults.

On Thursday, Senate Republicans joined their House colleagues in proposing steep cuts to Medicaid, part of the effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Conservatives hope to roll back what they see as an expanding and costly entitlement. But little has been said about what would happen to older Americans in nursing homes if the cuts took effect.

I guess all those people to old or sick to work will have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and go get jobs, or go live under bridges, or something.

Don't call it genocide though, it's just nature taking it's course.

People with limited attention spans need slogans not carefully thought out comments.  Because that seems to be the case with those who are fully responsible for this situation, I thought I could cut 'stuff' out of your post to make it shorter. 

I couldn't.  It all needs saying.  People who voted for virtually every one of the Republican contingent now in office need to know for sure what they did.  Not hypothetical at all....honest to 'donald' real.

This is a medical issue, an economic issue, a political issue and, in the end, a moral issue. I think this is true.  When people exhaust their resources paying for what they NEED, they WILL die. Unless there is a mechanism to prevent that.  The Republicans have none.  I think that is the case, correct me if I'm wrong.  

Genocide is defined as a "deliberate and systematic extermination of a national or racial group.".

Anyone who supports AND ultimately permits what the Republicans have proposed will be a party to that genocide WHEN it occurs.  I'll be interested in hearing what the 'ethically challenged' offer as an excuse.  Wait for it.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 88 of 90

It is why I have called the GOP actions:  generational genocide.  

Thanks to taking the time for writing this example of exactly that.   

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 89 of 90

The Medicaid cuts literally 'throw granny off of the bridge'.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Medicaid Cuts

Message 90 of 90

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/science/medicaid-cutbacks-elderly-nursing-homes.html

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes

ORANGE, Va. — Alice Jacobs, 90, once owned a factory and horses. She has raised four children and buried two husbands.

But years in an assisted living center drained her savings, and now she relies on Medicaid to pay for her care at Dogwood Village, a nonprofit, county-owned nursing home here.

“You think you’ve got enough money to last all your life, and here I am,” Ms. Jacobs said.

On Thursday, Senate Republicans joined their House colleagues in proposing steep cuts to Medicaid, part of the effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act. Conservatives hope to roll back what they see as an expanding and costly entitlement. But little has been said about what would happen to older Americans in nursing homes if the cuts took effect.

I guess all those people to old or sick to work will have to pull themselves up by their bootstraps and go get jobs, or go live under bridges, or something.

Don't call it genocide though, it's just nature taking it's course.

Announcements
Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families download this free guide developed by AARP to help make caregiving more manageable. It includes information on how to have vital conversations with older family members, organize important documents, assess your loved one's needs and locate important resources.
Top Kudoed Authors