Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Media under fire for driving coronavirus hype to epidemic levels

'Inducing panic': Media under fire for driving coronavirus hype to epidemic levels

Experts urge public to take disease seriously but not overreact

 

- The Washington Times

 

Concerns about the coronavirus pandemic are both warranted and understandable, but the media is increasingly coming under fire for stoking a panic mentality that experts decry as both counter-productive and unsupported by the facts.

 

In addition to the stock market’s daily roller coaster ride, grocery stores and warehouse clubs in some areas have been picked clean of essentials such as toilet paper, paper towels and sanitizing wipes (or have rationed sales to prevent that) as coronavirus coverage dominates social media and the 24/7 news cycle.

 

The message from public health and infectious disease experts: It’s important to take the coronavirus threat seriously, but it’s also critical not to overreact.

 

“There’s been a mad rush to go out and purchase all these items in anticipation of the next apocalypse. That’s not what we’re dealing with,” said Dr. Robert Quigley, regional medical director of International SOS. “We’re dealing clearly with a pandemic for all intents and purposes, but the vast majority of us who are going to contract the disease are not going to be significantly impacted.”

 

University of California, Irvine associate professor E. Alison Holman, who has published research on media exposure to mass-trauma events, said the toilet paper scare appeared to have originated with articles about stocking up before the virus’ spread.

 

“A week ago, there were a handful of articles in major newspapers saying, here’s what you should do to prepare for the coronavirus. And one of the top things that was listed on at least two or three websites — major media outlets — was: Buy toilet paper,” Ms. Holman said. “I think some of the freak-out about getting toilet paper has to do with that.”

 

She described the media-fueled worry as “a little overblown,” while others have gone so far as to accuse the press of sensationalizing the virus to juice ratings.

 

Celebrity internist Dr. Drew Pinsky said Tuesday that media outlets “really somehow need to be held accountable because they are hurting people.”

 

“I think it was a concerted effort by the press to capture your eyes, and in doing so they did it by inducing panic,” said Dr. Pinsky, who operates a private practice in Pasadena, California, in an interview with DJ Sixsmith on CBS Los Angeles.

 

He pointed to coverage of the World Health Organization’s estimate of a 3.4% fatality rate, far higher than the 0.1% death rate associated with the flu, which stoked alarm even though WHO officials emphasized that the figure was expected to drop as more cases were reported.

 

“Every publication from the WHO says 3.4% and we expect it to fall dramatically once we understand the full extent of the illness,” said Dr. Pinsky. “No one ever reports the actual statement.”

Even without the media hype, epidemics by their very nature can easily generate public panic.

“People aren’t sure exactly what’s going on and how and where it’s going to hit. And it’s also invisible,” Ms. Holman said. “That’s the other thing. It’s an invisible threat. It’s not something you can actually see and figure out how to get away from, and so the ambiguity and invisibility of this threat are making it more anxiety-producing.”

 

Then there’s the political angle. Democrats have slammed the Trump administration’s response to the public health emergency, while President Trump has accused Democrats of “politicizing the coronavirus” in an attempt to weaken his reelection bid.

 

“Someone needs to tell the Democrats in Congress that CoronaVirus doesn’t care what party you are in. We need to protect ALL Americans,” Mr. Trump tweeted on Wednesday.

 

The White House lashed out at a Vanity Fair magazine report Monday that Mr. Trump was in “total meltdown” over the coronavirus, citing several unnamed former administration officials, an article blasted by press secretary Stephanie Grisham as “100% fake news.”

 

The conservative Media Research Center said Wednesday that The Washington Post had 49 separate articles on its homepage on the coronavirus on a variety of virus issues including canceled sporting events, dating protocol, even before WHO made its pandemic announcement.

 

“Cynics will inevitably suspect the virus overkill is just partisan Posties piling on bad news to hurt Trump’s reelection prospects,” said MRC’s Matt Philbin. “And, as stated above, clicks are king in the news biz and nothing drives traffic like a good crisis.”

 

Certainly there’s plenty of news to report as schools shutter, the stock market rises and falls, and state and local governments declare emergencies. One byproduct is that every American is doubtless aware of the oft-repeated advice to wash their hands regularly for at least 20 seconds with soap and hot water.

 

“We do have a lot of control here on the way we react, and to the credit of the American people, we are reacting,” former Health and Human Services Secretary Mike Leavitt said on Fox News. “While it’s difficult to hear about the COVID-19 all day long, it is getting the message across.”

 

On the minus side, the alarming tone and non-stop nature of the coverage is producing overreactions like stockpiling toilet paper, raising concerns that hospitals, nursing homes and other front-line facilities will be caught short.

 

“There are things the media can do that sensationalize, and also the repetitive over and over and over — you show the same stuff over and over, say the same things over and over — sometimes that actually will breed anxiety and worry in the population,” Ms. Holman said.

 

Even worse is social media, where hype, misinformation and outright falsehoods about the disease have gone viral, including posts about “cures” such as drinking bleach and snorting cocaine, both of which are false.

 

Dr. Quigley said he’s been asked if a hot shower can reverse a case of the coronavirus — it can’t — and called social media “a blessing and a curse.”

 

“It’s a great way to disseminate information in real time, but boy, the information that is disseminated is not filtered, and it does put people in a panic mode,” he said. “So social media, which is now much more prevalent than it was 10 years ago, is probably not helping us.”

 

For those seeking to bypass the media intermediaries, experts agree that the most accurate sources are the WHO and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

 

“My recommendation to people is pay attention to the World Health Organization and CDC,” Ms. Holmansaid. “Those are the people you need to see who are managing this and really know.”

 

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

 

Remain calm, prepare yourselves and use your head for something other than a hat rack.  The media is not doing us any favors with all the hype, IMO...

 

We're Americans this is what we do best, we always prevail.  We need to own it and move forward instead of being crippled by fear...  FWIW...

 

 

 

VIMTSTL
Social Butterfly

A song for the panicky hoarders:

 


First to fall over when the atmosphere is less than perfect
Your sensibilities are shaken by the slightest defect
You live you life like a canary in a coalmine
You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line


You say you want to spend the winter in Firenza
You're so afraid to catch a dose of influenza
You live your life like a canary in a coalmine
You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line

 

Canary in a coalmine
Canary in a coalmine
Canary in a coalmine

 

Now if I tell you that you suffer from delusions
You pay your analyst to reach the same conclusions
You live your life like a canary in a coalmine
You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line

 

The Police

 

 

 

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly

The ONLY ones "hyping" covid19 are REPUBLICANS, and their "hype" is  killing hundreds, soon to become thousands.

 

FOX and the entire GOPer Propaganda Ministry, led by Liar In Chief ToadPOTUS, have been poo-pooing the worst pandemic since 1918 - telling people the US cases would top out at 15 and go down, encouraging sick people to continue going in to work, and setting a disgusting examply by ignoring CDC advice about "social distancing".

 

GOPerGov's did NOTHING for months after the alarm sounded in January, following the Toad to disaster and GOPerPols are doing their best to prevent effective action at the National level. The only reasonable guidance is coming from DEMOCRATIC Governors and Mayors and the brave folks at CDC who continue to contradict the Idiot child in the White House in the hope at least a few tRumpettes will listen to reason instead of their Toad.

Honored Social Butterfly

3068CFA2-2431-4535-B8D3-D3F5E7D068F8.jpeg

 

Here's some science and math. Not media. Our trajectory doesn't look promising. 

Sadly, rural folks, it will get to you too. Although not as quickly. Can your rural hospital handle the surge when they get it? Are your community leaders making plans around that? 

Honored Social Butterfly


@ManicProgressive wrote:

3068CFA2-2431-4535-B8D3-D3F5E7D068F8.jpeg

 

Here's some science and math. Not media. Our trajectory doesn't look promising. 

Sadly, rural folks, it will get to you too. Although not as quickly. Can your rural hospital handle the surge when they get it? Are your community leaders making plans around that? 


Coronavirus has arrived in my town in Kentucky. We are  the third largest city in Kentucky but we are rural and are surrounded by very small rural communities and towns. We have two small to medium sized hospitals and a population of around 100,000 counting many of the rural communities and small towns surrounding us.

 

One of my doctor friends was just exposed to a patient that tested positive (the third to test positive in my town). My doctor friend is in isolation now and will be tested and isolated according to protocol. He says that they are already re-using masks and have a shortage of them. He says that the hospital he is at only has access to 12 respirators, and the other hospital in town has a similar amount. Unless tRump takes very quick action the doctors here will have to make choices about who is taken of off respirators and allowed to die and who will be kept on them. He is not looking forward to the decision he and his colleagues will have to make. This is coming in most communities across America, it's only a matter of time, many communities are already far worse off than ours. 

 

This doctor friend of mine has been a tRump supporter but he readily admits that trump's denial early on in this has exasperated this.  He calls this pandemic "the real thing" and that trump's early denial and his continuing to minimize of the severity of this is going to cost many lives across America. I have a strong feeling he will be voting against trump this fall because of the way trump is mishandling this pandemic.

 

Can our hospital facilities handle the surge that is coming?  No, of course not.  Are our community leaders making plans around that?  IMO, no.  They have at least done what in necessary to open the door for Federal funding when it becomes available.  Many rural areas and people are clinging to the idea that this virus will not effect them. They are sadly mistaken. One of the first towns in Kentucky to have a person test positive to this virus is a small town of 6200 people, they now have 20 people that have tested positive and it is on the rise. The chart you display shows no signs of the rise of this virus in America leveling off yet, it will very likely reach proportions close to what is being seen in Italy. If tRump had acted much sooner as he should have our future in this would have looked much brighter.

 

I can only stay isolated and hope my wife doesn't get exposed and bring this home to me, with my very compromised immune system it would most likely kill me. She takes all of the precautions she can and it is of great concern to her.  I urge everyone to be responsible and safe in this.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

3068CFA2-2431-4535-B8D3-D3F5E7D068F8.jpeg

 

Here's some science and math. Not media. Our trajectory doesn't look promising. 

Sadly, rural folks, it will get to you too. Although not as quickly. Can your rural hospital handle the surge when they get it? Are your community leaders making plans around that? 


Coronavirus has arrived in my town in Kentucky. We are  the third largest city in Kentucky but we are rural and are surrounded by very small rural communities and towns. We have two small to medium sized hospitals and a population of around 100,000 counting many of the rural communities and small towns surrounding us.

 

One of my doctor friends was just exposed to a patient that tested positive (the third to test positive in my town). My doctor friend is in isolation now and will be tested and isolated according to protocol. He says that they are already re-using masks and have a shortage of them. He says that the hospital he is at only has access to 12 respirators, and the other hospital in town has a similar amount. Unless tRump takes very quick action the doctors here will have to make choices about who is taken of off respirators and allowed to die and who will be kept on them. He is not looking forward to the decision he and his colleagues will have to make. This is coming in most communities across America, it's only a matter of time, many communities are already far worse off than ours. 

 

This doctor friend of mine has been a tRump supporter but he readily admits that trump's denial early on in this has exasperated this.  He calls this pandemic "the real thing" and that trump's early denial and his continuing to minimize of the severity of this is going to cost many lives across America. I have a strong feeling he will be voting against trump this fall because of the way trump is mishandling this pandemic.

 

Can our hospital facilities handle the surge that is coming?  No, of course not.  Are our community leaders making plans around that?  IMO, no.  They have at least done what in necessary to open the door for Federal funding when it becomes available.  Many rural areas and people are clinging to the idea that this virus will not effect them. They are sadly mistaken. One of the first towns in Kentucky to have a person test positive to this virus is a small town of 6200 people, they now have 20 people that have tested positive and it is on the rise. The chart you display shows no signs of the rise of this virus in America leveling off yet, it will very likely reach proportions close to what is being seen in Italy. If tRump had acted much sooner as he should have our future in this would have looked much brighter.

 

I can only stay isolated and hope my wife doesn't get exposed and bring this home to me, with my very compromised immune system it would most likely kill me. She takes all of the precautions she can and it is of great concern to her.  I urge everyone to be responsible and safe in this.


BIg hugs to you and your family, Chasky.  I hope you stay safe.  

Honored Social Butterfly

I am thankful for the media.  (That does not, however, include the talking heads on FOX News.)   But for those news outlets which daily present the "facts" (as much as they are known) regarding this pandemic, I am grateful because I do not believe Trump, his administration, or his taskforce are capable of presenting knowledgable and accurate information.  Nor do I see them as being honest or transparent about this plague which is sickening and killing thousands both here and around the world.  

 

The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"  that would  "disappear and one day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear"--Trump quote.  And now not even a month later, we find ourselves engulfed in sickness and death.  This is real and as we know, Trump does not deal well with reality. 

 

So like it or not, the media stands vigilant and deserves all of our praise for the work they do to keep us up-to-date with whatever information is available--each and every day.

Honored Social Butterfly

 


@LydiaN586309 wrote:

I am thankful for the media.  (That does not, however, include the talking heads on FOX News.)   But for those news outlets which daily present the "facts" (as much as they are known) regarding this pandemic, I am grateful because I do not believe Trump, his administration, or his taskforce are capable of presenting knowledgable and accurate information.  Nor do I see them as being honest or transparent about this plague which is sickening and killing thousands both here and around the world.  

 

The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"  that would  "disappear and one day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear"--Trump quote.  And now not even a month later, we find ourselves engulfed in sickness and death.  This is real and as we know, Trump does not deal well with reality. 

 

So like it or not, the media stands vigilant and deserves all of our praise for the work they do to keep us up-to-date with whatever information is available--each and every day.

******************

Suffice-it-to-say, despite critiques to the contrary, I stand by and herewith repeat every word I wrote above.  Moreover, maybe if The Trumpster had been more receiptive to the scientific community who tried to forewarn him/the administration of the disaster to come and had he been even a tiny bit proactive, maybe, just maybe we would have been better able to meet this crisis.  His denials meant delays.  And despite his declarations to the contrary, the buck actually does stop with him, in his house, on his Big Oval Office Desk!

Honored Social Butterfly

LydiaN586309 posted...



Suffice-it-to-say, despite critiques to the contrary, I stand by and herewith repeat every word I wrote above. Moreover, maybe if The Trumpster had been more receiptive to the scientific community who tried to forewarn him/the administration of the disaster to come and had he been even a tiny bit proactive, maybe, just maybe we would have been better able to meet this crisis. His denials meant delays. And despite his declarations to the contrary, the buck actually does stop with him, in his house, on his Big Oval Office Desk!

-------------------------------------

You posted.."The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"



That's a out and out lie that was spread by the media. Shame on anyone that, like you is spreading that lie!

You stand by that lie?
0 Kudos
683 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:
LydiaN586309 posted...



Suffice-it-to-say, despite critiques to the contrary, I stand by and herewith repeat every word I wrote above. Moreover, maybe if The Trumpster had been more receiptive to the scientific community who tried to forewarn him/the administration of the disaster to come and had he been even a tiny bit proactive, maybe, just maybe we would have been better able to meet this crisis. His denials meant delays. And despite his declarations to the contrary, the buck actually does stop with him, in his house, on his Big Oval Office Desk!

-------------------------------------

You posted.."The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"



That's a out and out lie that was spread by the media. Shame on anyone that, like you is spreading that lie!



Wrong again KidBoy2. 

"That's an out and out" TRUTH KidBoy2 .... a truth that has been thoroughly documented herein including a VIDEO showing Trump clearly calling the Corona Virus A DEMOCRATIC HOAX!

 

So, applying your shaming accusation where it really belongs, "shame on anyone that, like YOU, is denying that truth"!

 

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly


@myexper wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

You posted.."The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"


That's a out and out lie that was spread by the media. Shame on anyone that, like you is spreading that lie!

 

So, applying your shaming accusation where it really belongs, "shame on anyone that, like YOU, is denying that truth"!

 

Shame on anyone who supports a liar, a bigot, a racist, an adulterer, misogynist and incompetent leader and one destroying the Constitution almost at every opportunity.  Shame on them!


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:
LydiaN586309 posted...



Suffice-it-to-say, despite critiques to the contrary, I stand by and herewith repeat every word I wrote above. Moreover, maybe if The Trumpster had been more receiptive to the scientific community who tried to forewarn him/the administration of the disaster to come and had he been even a tiny bit proactive, maybe, just maybe we would have been better able to meet this crisis. His denials meant delays. And despite his declarations to the contrary, the buck actually does stop with him, in his house, on his Big Oval Office Desk!

-------------------------------------

You posted.."The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"



That's a out and out lie that was spread by the media. Shame on anyone that, like you is spreading that lie!

You stand by that lie?

Which lie are we talking about? 

  • There will be "like, 15 cases and then there will be none"
  • "It will all fade away, like a miracle"
  • "I am smart and I have a really good feeling about these new drugs" (which Fauci said will not work)
Honored Social Butterfly

LydiaN586309 posted...

I am thankful for the media. (That does not, however, include the talking heads on FOX News.) But for those news outlets which daily present the "facts" (as much as they are known) regarding this pandemic, I am grateful because I do not believe Trump, his administration, or his taskforce are capable of presenting knowledgable and accurate information. Nor do I see them as being honest or transparent about this plague which is sickening and killing thousands both here and around the world.



The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax" that would "disappear and one day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear"--Trump quote. And now not even a month later, we find ourselves engulfed in sickness and death. This is real and as we know, Trump does not deal well with reality.



So like it or not, the media stands vigilant and deserves all of our praise for the work they do to keep us up-to-date with whatever information is available--each and every day.

========================================================

" I do not believe Trump, his administration, or his taskforce are capable of presenting knowledgable and accurate information. Nor do I see them as being honest or transparent about this plague "

If you would watch the daily task force briefings I think you would not say that. The task force takes questions from the media and gives answers with information available to them.

I think you, like many on the left, do to the fact that they dislike Trump want him and the task force to do badly. It a time like this I find that said. Its bad for our health its bad for our country and the world!

The majority of people believe that Trump is handling the crisis well...that has gone up and I look for the numbers to continue to go up.

 

You also posted.."The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"

 

That's a out and out lie that was spread by the media.  Shame on anyone that, like you is spreading that lie!

Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:

 

You also posted.."The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"

 

That's a out and out lie that was spread by the media.  Shame on anyone that, like you is spreading that lie!

 


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks @Centristsin2010 for posting that clip that clearly shows Mr. Baby Small Hands talking about the coronavirus hoax and the alleged Democratic 

agenda. As the saying goes, "Out of the mouth of babes."

Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:

 

You also posted.."The fact that people are panicking is understandable when first our fearless leader told us that the coming pandemic was nothing more than a "hoax"

 

That's a out and out lie that was spread by the media.  Shame on anyone that, like you is spreading that lie!


He actually called it a "Hoax by the Democrats".  Would you be interested in lessons on how to Google?

Honored Social Butterfly


Charges: Chaska man shot at police outside Brooklyn Park Walmart

 

Customers and employees were inside a Brooklyn Park Walmart when police and a shoplifting suspect exchanged gunfire in the store's parking lot on Monday, March 16. 

 

Details of the officer-involved shooting were released in a criminal complaint that charges 32-year-old James Klein, of Chaska, with two counts of first-degree assault of a peace officer and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm.

 

Shots were fired around 12:05 p.m. at the Walmart located in the 8000 block of Lakeland Ave. North on Monday. According to the criminal complaint, two officers responded to the Walmart on a report of a shoplifter who purchased a large amount of ammunition and was wearing a holster. 

 

Upon arrival, the officers located Klein in the parking lot. Body-worn cameras show that Klein had a hand in his pocket and ignored an officer's command to stop, then he took his hand out of his pocket and walked away. 

 

Klein kept walking away despite numerous commands to stop, prompting the officer to use a Taser on Klein, which had minimal effect. Klein then ran between parked vehicles and shot at the officer, who returned fire, according to the complaint. 

 

Klein still had his gun drawn when the other officer ran after him and shot him in the leg and hand. Klein fell to the ground and was taken to to North Memorial Health Hospital in Robbinsdale for injuries that are not life-threatening.  Gee, so it is possible not to shoot to kill.....

 

Klein was scheduled to make his first appearance in Hennepin County District Court on Thursday,   GREAT, just as the law requires!!!  but was still receiving treatment at the hospital. 

 

The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) identified the police officers as Charles Cudd (14 years with Brooklyn Park PD) and Dane Lazenberry (1 year with Brooklyn Park PD). Neither was shot during the gunfire exchange.

 

It's been reported, though not here, that he was shoplifting ammo.....isn't America GREAT?


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
372 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

DR  FAUCI  ----

Honored Social Butterfly


@JANMB wrote:

DR  FAUCI  ----

 

Good Lord this guy is an idiot!!!Good Lord this guy is an idiot!!!

Great photo, JanMB.  Certainly a classic for the times and speaks volumes. Those who think all do the same when he speaks.  He still hasn't learned to just shut-up and at least let the experts answer the questions.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

That is  DR FAUCI ....It must be difficult to have to stand there.....

Honored Social Butterfly


JANMB posted..

Re: Media under fire for driving coronavirus hype to epidemic levels

That is DR FAUCI ....It must be difficult to have to stand there.....

===========================================================

Making fun of the coronavirus virus task force team that is keeping us informed on the crisis.... and you think that is funny.

What does your remark have to do with the subject of this thread?
0 Kudos
418 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:

JANMB posted..

Re: Media under fire for driving coronavirus hype to epidemic levels

That is DR FAUCI ....It must be difficult to have to stand there.....

===========================================================

Making fun of the coronavirus virus task force team that is keeping us informed on the crisis.... and you think that is funny.  What's "funny" is your saying JanMB  thinks the "coronavirus virus (sic) task force" is funny.  Why would anyone just make that up?

What does your remark have to do with the subject of this thread?  Really?  There's no reason to bait others that see the ridiculousness of trump and his attacking the media at a White House briefing on the virus.

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

JANMB posted..

Re: Media under fire for driving coronavirus hype to epidemic levels

That is DR FAUCI ....It must be difficult to have to stand there.....

===========================================================

Making fun of the coronavirus virus task force team that is keeping us informed on the crisis.... and you think that is funny.  What's "funny" is your saying JanMB  thinks the "coronavirus virus (sic) task force" is funny.  Why would anyone just make that up?

What does your remark have to do with the subject of this thread?  Really?  There's no reason to bait others that see the ridiculousness of trump and his attacking the media at a White House briefing on the virus.

 


No rational debate from tRump supporters.

 


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:

JANMB posted..

Re: Media under fire for driving coronavirus hype to epidemic levels

That is DR FAUCI ....It must be difficult to have to stand there.....

===========================================================

Making fun of the coronavirus virus task force team that is keeping us informed on the crisis.... and you think that is funny.

What does your remark have to do with the subject of this thread?

Certainly not making fun of Fauci.  He is a learned, dedicated professional. Now Kuchner and Pence are another matter.  Has Trump publicly announced who is in charge yet?  Last we saw was the three of the squabbling at a press conference and Trump running from the room. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The real media hype.

 

 

 

 

Honored Social Butterfly

Lydia, that was a great post but I must say, I think they are over doing it. I wish the media would stop their non-stop 24/7 coverage and talk about other news.

 

As for the Republicans, in order to make Trump their Supreme Leader and Dictator, they want to do away with the Free Press and eliminate any criticism of their hero. Part of that process, is regularly attacking and discrediting the press

 

The real irony is they worship Fox, which is not news, it's Trump's propaganda network.

Honored Social Butterfly

  RW is in a panic as people are now relying on the MSM for information instead of relying on Donald holding a made for media event at which he answers no questions.  

  The latest polling reveals that 70% of GOP continue to believe donalds incoherent nonsense....which makes one wonder if they believe his early statements about Covid-19 in which it was a hoax or yesterday when he said it is a pandemic that requires massive action by the FED?

    Are they so blind that they don't notice that both of his statements can not be simultaneously true.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly


@afisher wrote:

  RW is in a panic as people are now relying on the MSM for information instead of relying on Donald holding a made for media event at which he answers no questions.  

  The latest polling reveals that 70% of GOP continue to believe donalds incoherent nonsense....which makes one wonder if they believe his early statements about Covid-19 in which it was a hoax or yesterday when he said it is a pandemic that requires massive action by the FED?

    Are they so blind that they don't notice that both of his statements can not be simultaneously true.  


Yup .... or they will simply deny what Trump previously stated as we've seen herein where Trump supporters deny that Trump:

- called the Corona virus a Democratic hoax.

- said the Corona virus would be gone by April.

 

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

If it were not for our free press and media coverage, we might have no knowledge whatsoever of the Cvirus and it's spread. And because of trump's inaction and incompetence, we still do not have real figures on the number of cases, due to the lack of testing. Some sources say that the number of cases could actually be increased by a factor 

of 3-10 for a real number of cases in the US. 
And some believe what trump is telling them...that's bad, trump is the source of fake news! But, as always, he tries to blame others. 
And where are the test kits!

Honored Social Butterfly

What is it?  Is it a malady of being a republican or a symptom of Trumpism that for everything that happens, it is a "must-do"  to find someone on which to affix blame?

 

The fact is, the media is doing their job--keeping us informed of what is going on right around us.  Americans and our fellow humans around the world need to be fully aware of this pandemic--how it is growing, moving, and what to do next.  

 

Believe me, I'm sick of hearing about the coronavirus and it's ravages every single day, all day long myself.  But we need to know!  This is NOT the time to stick our heads in the sand-- just hoping it goes away.  Ignoring it won't make it go away.  And trying to point the finger at the media (Trump's enemy and the American people's best informant), won't make it go away or make it any less real/any less deadly.

 

The coronavirus pandemic is not "hype"-- just like it was not a "hoax!"  It's real.  It's here.  And we are in it!

 

Thank God for the media and those newsmen and women (many overseas and around the world) who put their own lives in harms way in a effort to keep us all informed about all things (not just the coronavirus) going on in and around this country and the world.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png