Honored Social Butterfly

McConnell Warns Democrats About Killing Senate Filibuster

McConnell warns Democrats about changing Senate rules to kill the filibuster
The Senate GOP leader spoke as some experts believe there's a fair chance his party could lose control of the chamber in November.

July 1, 2020, 4:20 PM CDT / Updated July 1, 2020, 4:36 PM CDT
By Sahil Kapur

WASHINGTON —

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has a message for Democrats: Don't end the legislative filibuster if you win control, or you'll regret it.

"The important thing for our Democratic friends to remember is you may not be in total control in the future. And any time you start fiddling around with the rules of the Senate you always need to put yourself in the other fellow's shoes and just imagine what might happen when the winds shift," the Kentucky Republican told reporters on Tuesday.

McConnell called on "responsible Democratic senators" not to be "stampeded by the hard left" and preserve "the one institution that guaranteed that America stayed in the middle of the road."

McConnell's remarks come as Democrats debate among themselves whether to preserve the super-majority requirement to pass legislation if they win control of the White House and Congress this fall and their agenda is obstructed. Numerous progressive activists, as well as former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., support its abolition.

Democrats who favor the change, including potential vice presidential contender Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., say the 60-vote rule gives a minority of senators a permanent veto that makes progressive governance impossible, particularly given the structure of the Senate that gives small red states like Idaho and Wyoming the same representation as large blue states like California and New York.

"If Mitch McConnell is going to do to the next Democratic president what he did to President Obama, and that is try to block every single thing he does, then we are going to roll back the filibuster," Warren said during a presidential primary debate in late February.

But other Democrats like the power it affords them to shape and block legislation while in the minority, with some of them holding more centrist views, such as Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., and Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.V.

The debate was reignited recently after Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., a moderate ally of Biden who has supported the filibuster, told Politico he's open to abolishing it. "I will not stand idly by for four years and watch the Biden administration's initiatives blocked at every turn," he said.

A Biden campaign spokesman didn't immediately return a request for comment on whether he would support or oppose a Democratic effort to abolish the 60-vote threshold for legislation.

The filibuster is a Senate rule that came about by historical accident as rule changes in the early 1800s deprived the majority party of a way to cut off debate. It was rarely used for generations and came to the fore in the mid-1950s when Southern senators used it to filibuster civil rights legislation. Under President Barack Obama, McConnell, then the minority leader, ramped up its use to block or scale back parts of his agenda.

Achieving "cloture" initially required unanimous consent. In 1917, it was cut to 67 votes. The last time it changed was 1975, requiring 60 votes to end debate. It is not a Constitutional requirement and can be changed with 51 votes in the Senate.

McConnell did, however, defend the elimination of the filibuster for judicial and executive appointments, saying the 60-vote threshold to confirm nominees has been "a very recent phenomenon" dating back to the George W. Bush presidency.

"So that's not really a revolution," he said. "What would be a revolution — and turn the Senate into the House — would be to change the legislative filibuster."

Adam Jentleson, who served as a spokesman for Reid, rejected McConnell's characterization of the filibuster as a tool to promote moderation.

"It was invented to allow a minority of white conservatives impose their will on a changing country, and that is the purpose it serves today," he wrote on Twitter

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mcconnell-warns-democrats-about-changing-senate-rules-kill...

My Comment:

Is McConnell worried the GOP will lose the majority in the Senate?  Hmm ........ Kinda' looks like it.

McConnell's words in reference to Dems changing filibuster rules:  "the one institution that guaranteed that America stayed in the middle of the road."    Middle of the road?  Really? So McConnell sitting on 400 House Bills and not sending them to committee or putting them to a vote is "middle of the road"  ROFLMAO !!!

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

The "rules of the Senate" only worked while honorable men occupied the chamber and that is no longer the case. If the filibuster survives, it should ONLY be in the form portrayed in the movie "Mr Smith Goes to Washington" and with the same attention to detail that had one filibuster ended when the speaker rested his foot an his seat, that being counted as him no longer standing and thus having ended his "speech."

The Dixiecrats who became Republicans when the Civil Rights Act passed are the origin of the current absurd "rules" they passed to avoid future embarrassment when their "filibuster" reading of phone books etc  was broadcast to the Nation as they tried to block the bill.

Along with the Filibuster, they need to end the Majority Leaders ability to regulate the consideration of legislation, requiring a vote on each bill submitted with more than 33 sponsors.

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump World is unbelievable, they will do anything to praise, defend, or protect their Supreme Leader in the White House. Does anyone really believe Trump selects Judges? He has no idea who they are, he simply signs off on what the Republican Senators put in front of him.

Trump is so stupid he doesn't even know that Great Britain is a nuclear power. And you think he participates in the selection of federal judges?

Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks Tom, that book sounds like must reading for decent Americans.

https://www.amazon.com/Cult-Trump-Leading-Explains-President/dp/1982127333/ref=sr_1_1?crid=286MDPI2V...

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump Cult members have a job, and that is protecting/defending their leader and praising him whenever things go right. Does anyone outside the cult think Trump is responsible for those judges? I'm sure Trump doesn't know any of them. 

It is the Republican controlled Senate which appointed those 200 judges, Comrade Trump had nothing to do with it.

Honored Social Butterfly

@CriticalThinking 

Wrong again. The president, your president Donald J. Trump, selects the judge the senate approves. I'm sure the candidates are on a supplied list with a matrix rating.

I one happy guy. Happy 4th! Fly our colors!

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@CriticalThinking 

Wrong again. The president, your president Donald J. Trump, selects the judge the senate approves. I'm sure the candidates are on a supplied list with a matrix rating.

I one happy guy. Happy 4th! Fly our colors!

Yep, they are on a "supplied list" alright! A list of judges that will apply far radical right Fascist outlooks on the Constitution and be willing to legislate from the bench.

Honored Social Butterfly

Like John Roberts?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Here's a better book... 

BLITZ: Trump Will Smash the Left and Win: by David Horowitz

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

CeeTee. You should get that book I just finished. Every American should be required to read it:

https://www.amazon.com/Cult-Trump-Leading-Explains-President/dp/1982127333/ref=sr_1_1?crid=286MDPI2V...

Honored Social Butterfly

There is something seriously wrong with Senate protocols when one person has the power to block so much legislation. That kind of power is in sharp contrast to what is supposed to be a DEMOCRACY. 

Honored Social Butterfly

I partly agree.

I think MOST legislation should be heard and debated,  but there's way to much frivolity. I also believe debate should have time constraints to move the "business of the day" along.

However the parliamentary rules were/are created by bureaucrats for the expressed purpose of who controls the flow of of legislation.  

If it was me making the rules.... and legislation that serves a small segment of the country, those legislators from said districts could argue FOR,  but would have to recuse themselves from voting.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

McConnell is one of the most vile, amoral legislators we've had.  And that's saying something. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Mitch is old school for sure. He believes in his agenda, slow and say no. Harry Reid was the worst, BY FAR!

Mitch is doing what majority leaders do and he's good at it. There's a whole lot of PO'd dems... so he's doing great in my book. 

Over 200+ constitutional judges appointed so far. More to come. Makes me smile with glee.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

If McConnell allowed the Senate to work as the founders intended he wouldn't have to worry about that.

Can't just blame McConnel though,  it's the Trump Party.  If a hand full of Senators just stood and said no to him,  the Senate could debate, negotiate, and find consensus.

There isn't a hand full of Senators in the Trump Party that will do that.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gruffstuff wrote:

If McConnell allowed the Senate to work as the founders intended he wouldn't have to worry about that.

Can't just blame McConnel though,  it's the Trump Party.  If a hand full of Senators just stood and said no to him,  the Senate could debate, negotiate, and find consensus.

There isn't a hand full of Senators in the Trump Party that will do that.

The Republicans want the filibuster, McConnell is playing politics.  You are correct, if McConnell let the Senate function the way it was intended this would be a moot point. He is sitting on 400 bills, refusing to let them go through the Senate process, actually depriving all Americans from their Senate representation.

Honored Social Butterfly

Mitch sits on bills that won't pass. Why waste time on mute political points that Pelosi makes. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Mitch sits on bills that won't pass. Why waste time on mute political points that Pelosi makes. 

Moscow Mitch is sitting on an Anti-Corruption Bill, aimed at all of our elected officials. He is also sitting on a bill that would require any election campaign in America to report it if a foreign country gets involved.    

Please tell me in your own magnificent words why you think this is a good thing for him to do. 

Please tell me why you think it is right for him to sit on 400 House Bills, stopping the Senate from doing what the Senate is supposed to do?

Moscow Mitch is playing God.  Please tell me why you think this is the right thing to do.

Honored Social Butterfly

Because elections have consequences. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I lean towards ending the filibuster rule. Why? personally a bad decision often lead to better decisions.

I'm for letting the liberal opposition poop in their mess kit. The poopier it gets, the better the rebound will be. 

The down side would be laws would possibly change every two years if the senate majority changes. That would be confusing. 

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

We may not have to worry about the filibuster at all. If the Dems win 60 Senate seats it's a moot point. Moscow Mitch should watch his back. There's a fierce woman gaining on him.

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Honored Social Butterfly

This from the Putin Poodle who denied President Obama a SCOTUS nomination. Moscow Mitch is running on a campaign of fear and loathing - it's all Republicans have.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

This from the Putin Poodle who denied President Obama a SCOTUS nomination. Moscow Mitch is running on a campaign of fear and loathing - it's all Republicans have.

Fear, loathing and LIES !

Honored Social Butterfly

Yes... now Mitch has dug a ditch... inside your heads. 

Y'all make me giggle. thanks

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Yes... now Mitch has dug a ditch... inside your heads. 

Y'all make me giggle. thanks

McConnell taking it upon himself to be the lone person who decides to not move any Bills forward isn't a "ditch inside people's heads.  It's a Ditch in the functioning of our government, our Senate.  I thought tRump was the only one wanting to be a dictator but I was wrong, Moscow Mitch wants to be one too.

So, do you think it's right for him to not move House Bills to the Senate for them to decide? That's how the Senate is supposed to function.

Every sane person of any political persuasion should support the Anti-Corruption Bill. Except for maybe a tRump supporter, his administration is the most corrupt in history.

Honored Social Butterfly

How easily trump supporters forget....

How many judges were not approved by the American Bar Assoc., or have no court experience, or are just far right wingnuts. 

And remember when mitch lead the charge to delete the sanctions against a russian oligarch...then the oligarch gave hundreds of millions to open a plant in Kentucky...guess the residents of Kentucky didn’t realize that they are now a satellite of russia...just an illegal mitch surprise!

Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 

200+  consitutionalist judges already!! and more on the way! Thank you Obama! best gift ever!

The legacy of president Trump will live on for 20+ years inside our courts and shape America's future with a increasingly consitutionalist bend. Thank God for Mitch. Most of y'all will be sprouting up daisy's. 

The good "collateral" news for young Americans is.... if congress doesn't like what the courts say, they'll have to get off their collective behinds and legislate. That's good for everyone.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

McConnell, like many tRump supporting Republicans is up to his neck in corruption.  Moscow Mitch needs to be defeated in November, but the RNC and Multi-Billionaire PAC's are spending $Millions$ on ads and commercial in Kentucky to keep him elected, by doing that they support the Fascism and corruption that McConnell and Trump represent.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png