Getty Images and AARP present the Disrupt Aging Collection, a searchable photo collection that redefines what it means to get older. Take a look.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: McCarthy-Roy Cohn-Donald Trump

Message 1 of 140

Despite the pleasure some can take in typing "excrement sandwich" the reality exists that an apolitical civil service and military best serves the Nation.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 140

@rk9152 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

Hadn't even thought about that comparison, but both McCarthy and Trump went after the military. For McCarthy it was the end.  Trump has said so many crazy, weird things, it has apparently been overlooked.

Let's say that there are people in authority in the military brass that are disloyal to the CIC. Do you think that is a healthy situation?

I personally prefer to have the military non-political and non-partisan.

Those still serving are silent of necessity.

Have you noticed that some retired military have declined to take a position in his administration - characterizing it as an "excrement filled sandwich"?

Previous presidents vetted people much much more thoroughly, and didn't make a public announcement until the individual had a chance to consifrt the position and then indicated that he/she was willing to serve in the administration...

They know an excrement filled sandwich when they're asked to take a bite every day...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 140

@pc6063 wrote:

Hadn't even thought about that comparison, but both McCarthy and Trump went after the military. For McCarthy it was the end.  Trump has said so many crazy, weird things, it has apparently been overlooked.

Let's say that there are people in authority in the military brass that are disloyal to the CIC. Do you think that is a healthy situation?

I personally prefer to have the military non-political and non-partisan.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 140

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

Sorry, but we are going to have to agree to disagree.  When was the last time you heard of any investigative agency (including police) releasing details about an on-going investigation?  It isn't done for a good reason.

--

Of course police investigations are different from international intelligence gathering.  Additionally more than innuendo is released from police investigations. 

It was clear from the start that this entire discussion was based on partisanism.

Russia is our adversary, compared to Russia, ISIS is a gang of street thugs because while ISIS can murder a few of our citizens, Russia can literally destroy our Nation.

Der Trumper's entorague engaged in contacts with Russian officials for the purpose of ....what exactly?

The Trumpers admitted to telling the Russians lil' Donnyboy would end the sanctions the civilized World had emposed to punish Russia for invading Ukraine and annexing Crimea. Sounds a lot like Treason to me.

What ELSE were all those Trumpers talking about? Perhaps negotiating a deal to keep Der Trumpers Golden Shower off the internet? How about getting Russia to conceal the huge debts Der Trumper owes the Russian Mob, Oligarchs, Mob and Government?

For the first time in History we have a President with a very strong probability he's being blackmailed by our most powerful enemy, and that President's agents are actively working with the blackmailers to conceal the subject of the blackmail.

But like with every other Republican who has committed great crimes, his fellow Republicans pretend there's nothing happening so we should all just move along and join their game of pretend and ignore Donnyboy dismanteling our alliances, and protections from predition by the Corporate State, both here and centered in Moscow.

Nothing partisan about investigating the most serious threat to our Democracy in history. The partisanship comes from those who say we should stop the investigation before we know what's being done by our leaders.

It is hard to determine your point. Shall we ignore ISIS and restart the Cold War. That would sorta indicate that Hillary's "reset button" was a dismal failure and Obama's approach of "wait 'til after the elections so I can snooker the voters when they can't do anything about it" just didn't work out.

I don't know who "Der Trumper" and "lil Donnie Boy" are but if they are Americans it might be interesting to see some proof of blackmail material.

And there was a suggestion of "great crimes" - what were they?

But "threat to our Democracy", well that is real. If the neo-Marxist of the Progressive Movement ever fully get their way - that is history and historically predictable.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 140

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Linking President Trump to McCarthy as you did through Cohen is a bit thin. Your claim is that Trump learned hardball politics from Cohen. Well, "Chicago politics" is not flag football and guess who was an expert user of it. Remember, "Never let a good emergency go to waste".

===snip===

As to investigations of the President due to his business background - it will be interesting. Not that I see anything nefarious there but his background is unique -

--

I also wonder about the attempts to link Trump to the world's villains is pretty far-fetched and without any proof being presented

Not so "far-fetched" Tex  .... when you consider how Trump praised the "world's villains" and supported the actions of Putin!

I keep wondering if this is more political mud-slinging than action fact.

Wonder no longer Tex .... it's fact. So much so that there will be Congressional investigations. 

I doubt that Trump is an angel, but then again looking at Hillary and many on the left, the same would apply.

Again, the use of any topic as an opportunity just to bash Hillary.  The Russian rigged election is over Tex!

There is no doubt that Trump is a hard-nosed businessman

A corrupt businessman who is also incompetent ..... having 7 of his businesses go into bankruptcy.

which priniciples he's applying to politics and government. 

Principles of corruption and incompetence

Eventually he's going to find out that the government isn't a business

And hopefully end up impeached!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 140

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 140

@rk9152 wrote:

Linking President Trump to McCarthy as you did through Cohen is a bit thin. Your claim is that Trump learned hardball politics from Cohen. Well, "Chicago politics" is not flag football and guess who was an expert user of it. Remember, "Never let a good emergency go to waste".

===snip===

As to investigations of the President due to his business background - it will be interesting. Not that I see anything nefarious there but his background is unique -

--

I also wonder about the attempts to link Trump to the world's villains is pretty far-fetched and without any proof being presented.  I keep wondering if this is more political mud-slinging than action fact.  I doubt that Trump is an angel, but then again looking at Hillary and many on the left, the same would apply.

There is no doubt that Trump is a hard-nosed businessman which priniciples he's applying to politics and government.  Eventually he's going to find out that the government isn't a business

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 140

@lk152 wrote:

Back in the mid 1950s, it took the courage of some Republicans, led by President Eisenhower to put a stop to McCarthy's domestic terrorism.

--

I would believe that you are mistaken on that point.  As I recall from listening to the Army-McCarthy hearings and the aftermath, it was the reason for those hearings which was the beginning of his downfall.  With the public listening into the fiasco his credibility deterioted.  We spent many an hour listening to them.

These hearings were based on Roy Cohn attempting to pressure the Army to give preferential treatment to David Schine who was a former aide to McCarthy.

As a result of those hearings McCarthy lost much of his credibility and his 'witch hunt' for Communists subsided since no one paid that much attention, public opinion turned against him and in December 1954, the Senate censured him.  I don't recall hearing about any pressure from Eisenhower.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 140

Mayb it's because I taught kids, but I'd like to take a shot at simplifying this.

1.  Of course there were probably others who may have agreed with Communist ideology--

BUT-THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE EAR OF THOSE IN GOVERNMENT AS DID MCCARTHY OR TRUMP.

2. TRUMP MAY OR MAY NOT HAVE HAD SOMEONE READ TO HIM THE HISTORY OF MCCARTHYISM--OR IT MAY JUST BE HIS NATURAL HATEFUL TENDENCIES

-BUT BOTH NEEDED A POLITICAL PLATFROM AND BOTH USED A SCAPEGOAT TO ATTAIN IT.

3.  BOTH MCCARTHY AND TRUMP USED FEAR AS THE CATALYIST

--TRUMP MUSLIMS 

--MCCARTHY COMMUNISTS

4. TRUMP'S SUPPORT OF PUTIN, HIS REFUSAL TO TURN OVER HIS TAXES, WHICH WOULD SHOW ANY BUSINESS INTERESTS IN RUSSIA THAT HE MAY BE PROTECTING, AND THE LINKS OF OTHERS IN HIS BUBBLE TO RUSSIA ARE VERY SUSPICIOUS AND WORRISOME. 

LET'S BE HONEST, TRUMP HISTORICALLY AND PRESENTLY CARES ABOUT--AND ONLY ABOUT TRUMP.

This is why the comparison between these men--this is history repeating itself.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 140

lk - there is much in your latest that is interesting and deserves some looking at and, possibly, reinterpretation.

While the "under every bed" term was and is used to disparage him the question stands - were there no government people and Hollywood people who agreed with the ideology of Communism? It was quite popular in the '30s in the Ivy league schools. Was the Ivy league not a major recruitment source for State for example?

No, there is no monolithic Communist bloc today. However, at that time there was the Cold War and so-called Communist nations were a major factor in the world. Today, the ideology that attracted the Ivy league students and others is alive and well and has been adopted by the Progressive Movement. That is why I use the term "neo-Marxist" rather than Communist.

I can actually see the appeal of Communism (in the 30's and after) as well as the neo-Marxism of today. But only to the naive. Let's face it Karl Marx painted a picture of "heaven on earth" and mapped out a plan to get there. However, it was at odds with human nature and he thought human nature could be changed via some form of "reeducation society". So, to the naive, even today the appeal is there. And rather than understand the impracticality of it, it is easier to spout hatred at those no naive.

As to investigations of the President due to his business background - it will be interesting. Not that I see anything nefarious there but his background is unique - when is the last time we had other than a career pol as Prez? He has had business interests with many other nations. It is just popular to look at Russia so the "Trump haters" can try to associate him with Putin as you tried to do with McCarthy.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors