Honored Social Butterfly

Matt Gaetz files ethics complaint against Nancy Pelosi for ripping Trump speech

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/matt-gaetz-nancy-pelosi-ethics-complaint-state-of-the-union-rip-speech/

Congressman Matt Gaetz is calling for an ethics investigation of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi after she ripped up a copy of President Trump's State of the Union speech. The Florida Republican tweeted a letter he wrote to top members of the House Ethics Committee calling for an investigation into Pelosi's "flagrant violation of decorum." 

After Mr. Trump concluded his address to the nation Tuesday night, Pelosi picked up her paper copy of his speech and tore it in pieces behind him — well in view of television cameras. A day later, Gaetz argued in his letter that Pelosi may have violated the House's Code of Official Conduct on decorum and perhaps even broken the law by destroying a government document. "Nobody is above the law," he tweeted. "She must be held accountable."

Rep. Matt Gaetz

@RepMattGaetz

BREAKING: I'm filing an ethics complaint against @SpeakerPelosi for destroying @realDonaldTrump's State of the Union speech.

Her conduct was beneath the dignity of the House, and a potential violation of law (18 USC 2071).

Nobody is above the law. She must be held accountable.

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

70.2K people are talking about this

In his complaint to Ethics Committee Chairman Theodore Deutch, a Florida Democrat, and Ranking Member Kenny Marchant, a Texas Republican, Gaetz said Pelosi should be censured for her "unseemly behavior" and also requested a criminal referral. He cited a law that says anyone having custody of federal records who "unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys or attempts to do so" could be subject to a fine or even prison time. 

==========================================================

After the impeachment trial, which was just a "hate Trump" thing that has backfired on the Democrats I guess its time the R's play their game.

Poor Nancy, you reap what you sowed.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Painfully, Gaetz does not understand the word ethics in this case. 

Honored Social Butterfly

It is not like she tore up an original piece of a document - he was reading from a teleprompter.    Gaetz is competing with Nunes to see who can file the most lawsuits and waste public $$$ and court time.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

It is laughable that any trump supporter would talk about someone other than trump doing something unethical.  It's laughable that anyone would think that Pelosi tearing up tRump's rant full of lies was anything close to being something as bad as inviting three foreign countries into our elections and attempting to bribe Ukraine with previously approved foreign aid money.

ROFLMAO !!!!

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

For all those Outrage Addicts fainting over Nancy tearing up mher copy of the speech, do you have any outrage to spare for Trump tearing up official documents? LOL

Meet the guys who tape Trump's papers back together

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/10/trump-papers-filing-system-635164

Just in case anyone doesn't like Politico (I'm sure there are others with the same thing).

Richard Nixon Is the Reason President Trump's Aides Have to Repair Documents He Rips Up

https://time.com/5308542/trump-presidential-records-nixon/

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/matt-gaetz-nancy-pelosi-ethics-complaint-state-of-the-union-rip-speech/

Congressman Matt Gaetz is calling for an ethics investigation of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi after she ripped up a copy of President Trump's State of the Union speech. The Florida Republican tweeted a letter he wrote to top members of the House Ethics Committee calling for an investigation into Pelosi's "flagrant violation of decorum." 

After Mr. Trump concluded his address to the nation Tuesday night, Pelosi picked up her paper copy of his speech and tore it in pieces behind him — well in view of television cameras. A day later, Gaetz argued in his letter that Pelosi may have violated the House's Code of Official Conduct on decorum and perhaps even broken the law by destroying a government document. "Nobody is above the law," he tweeted. "She must be held accountable."

Rep. Matt Gaetz

@RepMattGaetz

BREAKING: I'm filing an ethics complaint against @SpeakerPelosi for destroying @realDonaldTrump's State of the Union speech.

Her conduct was beneath the dignity of the House, and a potential violation of law (18 USC 2071).

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

70.2K people are talking about this

In his complaint to Ethics Committee Chairman Theodore Deutch, a Florida Democrat, and Ranking Member Kenny Marchant, a Texas Republican, Gaetz said Pelosi should be censured for her "unseemly behavior" and also requested a criminal referral. He cited a law that says anyone having custody of federal records who "unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys or attempts to do so" could be subject to a fine or even prison time. 

==========================================================

After the impeachment trial, which was just a "hate Trump" thing that has backfired Wrong again.....didn't "backfire "he was impaeched, the duty of those in the House when the President undermines Congress and abuses his position.  on the Democrats I guess its time the R's play their game.  They did, they acquitted the bum and will pay the price come November.

Poor Nancy, you reap what you sowed.  As do Conservatives.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

the only investigation that Congress needs to do is to find out how deeply Russia has penetrated the Trump party!! I suspect is quite DEEP!! That is all!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

Trump Cult members do not engage in research. I want to thank PanJ for doing the research, pointing out how absurd this thread is.

PanJ wrote:

"This took less than 30 seconds to find.

• Kirk misapplied a federal statute designed to prevent people from destroying records in official government repositories like the National Archives.

• Pelosi ripped up her own copy of Trump’s address, not the official version sent to the National Archives under the separate Presidential Records Act."

Ripping up a piece of paper and listening to Trump's tiraid where he personally insults anyone he wants?  What about the docurum of the office of President of the USA? I am more embarrassed over the actions of the head of our country who sounds like a fourth grader.

Honored Social Butterfly

Oh my....................

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

=============================================

We will see if she is above the law.
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

=============================================

We will see if she is above the law.

If I understand your post correctly, you mean   to say that the Rule of Law is actually something that we must all respect?

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

rker321 posted..

If I understand your post correctly, you mean to say that the Rule of Law is actually something that we must all respect?

=============================================================

That is correct...thanks for asking.

What I posted was...Nancy can not rip up all the good things that our President has done and he talked about during his great speech.

What she did will be used over and over during the election for President...the Republicans will thank her.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2:   Her conduct was beneath the dignity of the House, and a potential violation of law (18 USC 2071).

This took less than 30 seconds to find.

Esteemed Social Butterfly

@Panjandrum wrote:

KidBoy2:   Her conduct was beneath the dignity of the House, and a potential violation of law (18 USC 2071).

This took less than 30 seconds to find.

BINGO! 👍👏

It was Nancy's copy, HER trash.  Kudos to Nancy for recycling.

I got halfway through that infantile letter and thought I was gonna puke. 🤢  Instead I busted out laughing. 😄  It's drivel.  This Matt guy is cracking me up! 

IMPOTUS, give your boy a pat on his peabrained head, because he tried really hard to suck up to you.

Honored Social Butterfly

MsStretch posted...

It was Nancy's copy, HER trash. Kudos to Nancy for recycling.

=======================================

Nancy can not rip up all the good things that our President has done and he talked about during his great speech.

What she did will be used over and over during the election for President...the Republicans will thank her.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2:   What she did will be used over and over during the election for President...the Republicans will thank her. 

1. That will only work for the Outrage Addicts in the base. The rest of the country applauded her.

2. Compared to clips of Trump and his antics, it's childs play.

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

MsStretch posted...

It was Nancy's copy, HER trash. Kudos to Nancy for recycling.

=======================================

Nancy can not rip up all the good things that our President has done and he talked about during his great speech.

Nobody can rip up all the good things Trump has done since they don't exist in real life.

Honored Social Butterfly

Thanks Panj. I was wondering if trump's minions were going to round up all of those "valuable" copies of trump's terrible rally speech aka SOTU speech. 
Do they save master copies of all of trump's rally speeches for the National Archives!...I wonder if the Archives has a "how not to behave" section!

Honored Social Butterfly

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Image result for images obama's laughing

The smallest effort to verify "the law" obviously - and again never happened here.  Really, really sad Kid.  A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/feb/05/charlie-kirk/charlie-kirk-wrongly-suggests-pelosi-...

Honored Social Butterfly

Oceanflower, thanks for this..

"Nancy Pelosi may have just committed a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2071, Section 2071 (a) when she ripped up President Trump’s State of the Union address. This violation is punishable by up to three years in prison.”

--------------------------------------------------------------

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

"Nancy Pelosi may have just committed a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2071, Section 2071 (a) when she ripped up President Trump’s State of the Union address. This violation is punishable by up to three years in prison.”

The Senate proved your claim false just a few short days ago.

i must have missed all your demands that Gaetz and his cohorts be held accountable for storming a secure area during the House investigation. 

Super Contributor

Good afternoon to all-

Here's a very simple equation for you all.

Matt Gaetz = stupid.

That's all you need to know about this vile individual.

goo day to all- Ed

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

You're welcome.  Kirk, Gaetz and others promoting this ridiculous falsehood have no ethics.  What they do have are dupes that do not question - read - or research but gladly follow their fake drama instead.  I guess it must be a cult thing or sheer laziness. 
Image result for images leading the nose

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

KidBoy2:   Nobody is above the law. She must be held accountable. 

What law? Perhaps you can point to it in the US Code?

ROFL

Honored Social Butterfly

Matt Gaetz is well known in this area as an empty suit, and an idiot that his daddy puts lots of money to have him elected. in this area. 
His idea that he can call an investigation on Nancy Pelosi is quite laughable, and his storming in during the impeachment process has not given him anything that can attest to his intelligence.
I don't doubt that he like Trump's son will call for an investigation. and I also doubt that if he thinks that his action will provide him with lavish words from the President that could be what will happen. 
Anything else, is as ridiculous as he has always been.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

I'm LOL at the latest level of absurdity from Trump World. If Trump tore up a government document, that would actually be one of his better days.

Maybe Gaetz should file a complaint that his hero and Supreme Leader in the White House is a pathological liar who surrounds himself with Convicted FELONS?

Honored Social Butterfly

CriticalThinking:   I'm LOL at the latest level of absurdity from Trump World.

Same here, and there is an infinite number of levels.

Honored Social Butterfly

This only amplifies what trump and his repubs are good at...playing the victims!

Poor donnie was mistreated today...what they clearly forget is how much trump is mistreating everyone...just like a playground bully, he's really tough until you stand up to him, then he starts whining that people are being mean to him. But, that's what you get with a president that has the maturity level of a 5th grader. 

There's no law against ripping up papers...besides trump is disrespectful towards everyone...Go Nancy!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png