Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Maryland police officer charged with raping woman during traffic stop

Message 1 of 10

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Police officers in the US were charged with more than 400 rapes over a 9-year period

I don’t like giving kudos to this post, because it’s such a horrible thing. And that’s just how many times they were charged. I know of at least one personally that was never reported.  At my former city jail job, a prostitute told me she had been raped by a police officer, and I went to report it to a court commissioner. They just laughed at me.  It should have at least been investigated...

~Tempermental 

Thank you for sharing your experience.  Of course it should have been investigated but too often the top just shrugs and lets it go.  Corruption begets corruption.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Police officers in the US were charged with more than 400 rapes over a 9-year period

I don’t like giving kudos to this post, because it’s such a horrible thing. And that’s just how many times they were charged. I know of at least one personally that was never reported.  At my former city jail job, a prostitute told me she had been raped by a police officer, and I went to report it to a court commissioner. They just laughed at me.  It should have at least been investigated...

~Tempermental 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

If he did it once - what are the chances he has raped other times?

If so - how many times?

The possibility that he may be Maryland's version of Daniel Holzclaw is not a possibility that should be dismissed and ignored...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Yup. It’s horrible. 

The only good good thing I’ll say is the police chief is awesome and he will hold this officer accountable.

~Tempermental

Agreed! And great point!

They aren't ALL bad.  Though it makes me wonder why this jerk thought he could get away with it to begin with.....

I dunno. There are people attracted to the job for the power trip. And there are people attracted to it because they want to help other people...the trick is hiring  the latter...

Prince George’s police have been bad apples for a long time. I went to law school with a white guy on the force who bragged about what he and buddies would do to this one at-large suspect when they caught him.  Nothing legal, I assure you.

This Chief is my nerdy law enforcement hero. Dude is brilliant. And honest and ethical. 

~Tempermental

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

Maryland police officer charged with raping woman during traffic stop

Not the first time that has happened in Maryland, and probably every other state as well.

Might be the first time there was a witness.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

The solution is to abolish police unions.

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Yup. It’s horrible. 

The only good good thing I’ll say is the police chief is awesome and he will hold this officer accountable.

~Tempermental

Agreed! And great point!

They aren't ALL bad.  Though it makes me wonder why this jerk thought he could get away with it to begin with.....

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Yup. It’s horrible. 

~Tempermental

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Message 10 of 10

A Maryland police officer has been arrested and charged with rape after allegedly assaulting a woman during a traffic stop.

Ryan Macklin, a six-year veteran of the Prince George's County Police Department, was taken into custody Monday evening, according to a news release from the department.

He has been suspended without pay, the department said, and has been charged with first-degree rape, second-degree rape, perverted practice, second-degree assault and fourth-degree sex offense.

It was unclear whether Macklin has an attorney. Macklin is being held without bond. Another hearing on bond is scheduled for October 26, officials said.

The woman told police that the officer allegedly attempted to touch her breast before ordering her to move her car behind a store, according to charging documents. Behind the store, the officer allegedly forced the woman to perform oral sex on him and told her he wanted to have sex with her, the documents said.

The alleged assault was interrupted by a witness whom the woman had called earlier, the charging documents said. The officer returned to his cruiser and left the scene. The witness later corroborated some of the woman's account of the assault, which was also backed up by video evidence.

Police said Macklin was on duty and in uniform, and driving a marked police cruiser at the time.
Prince George's County Police Chief Hank Stawinski said at a news conference that the woman came forward "several hours" after the incident with the encouragement of friends. Police said they do not know why Macklin allegedly targeted the driver.

"The charges against this officer are highly troubling," Stawinski said. "Officers take an oath to protect others, not to abuse their authority in order to victimize someone. Those who live and work in Prince George's County deserve the very best from the men and women of this department."

Stawinski said police have information that suggests "there may be additional people impacted by this officer's conduct." As a result, police ask anyone with information about this incident, Macklin or any related conduct to call 301-772-4795.

Macklin is assigned to the Bureau of Patrol, police said. According to the department's website, he was honored as patrol officer of the month at least two times in 2014, in March and September.

Police said Macklin, 29, pulled the woman over at about 1 a.m. on Thursday.

Gee, another case of abuse of power in law enforcement.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors