Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Markets plummet in wake of Trump Travel Ban

This is why you want to have a leader who understands cooperation and consultation.  Trump did not ask anyone about his travel ban.  Would it be effective? (no). Would it hurt EU and American cooperation on fighting the virus? (yes).  Would markets respond favorably or unfavorably? (5.7% drop so far). Trump has had a charmed presidency so far.  The crises he encountered were all of his own making and overseas. This is the first one to impact America and Trump supporters are getting the idea of how incompetent he has been.

 

I dread the markets opening in America. This has not been about the virus. It has always been about the market's distrust of Trump's ability to handle a crisis.   

 

It’s just passed noon, and there’s no recovery in the City.

The FTSE 100 is still being hammered, down 5.7% or 341 points at 5534. Every share is still down.

Holiday firms Carnival and TUI are among the worst of a very bad lot, down 14% each.

 

 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/live/2020/mar/12/stock-markets-tumble-trump-europe-travel-ban-e... 

Honored Social Butterfly

Markets plummet in wake of Trump Travel Ban

 

The Markets want more socialism, and we're going to give it to them.

 

We can afford it if it's for the Market,  we can't afford it if it's for working people.

 

The working  people will get austerity.

Honored Social Butterfly


@gruffstuff wrote:

Markets plummet in wake of Trump Travel Ban

 

The Markets want more socialism, and we're going to give it to them.

 

We can afford it if it's for the Market,  we can't afford it if it's for working people.

 

The working  people will get austerity.


Agreed. There are talks of bail outs for cruise lines and airlines....but what about a paid emergency leave option for regular folks?

Honored Social Butterfly


@ManicProgressive wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Markets plummet in wake of Trump Travel Ban

 

The Markets want more socialism, and we're going to give it to them.

 

We can afford it if it's for the Market,  we can't afford it if it's for working people.

 

The working  people will get austerity.


Agreed. There are talks of bail outs for cruise lines and airlines....but what about a paid emergency leave option for regular folks?


      Here in Texas, the testing labs can perform 26 tests per day.    Now someone tell me how it is supposed to evaluate the state population ( 15M) ,especially because many lack a personal physician because it is a REPublican governed state.  

 

from today SAEN   ( san antonio express news) 

And the state’s testing capacity is limited. Texas officials said last week that the largest public health lab could handle a maximum of 26 tests per day. Federal guidance recommended that doctors “use their judgment” when deciding if a patient merits testing and said they should consider symptoms as well as travel history and the possibility of close contact with people who tested positive for the coronavirus disease.

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly


@afisher wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Markets plummet in wake of Trump Travel Ban

 

The Markets want more socialism, and we're going to give it to them.

 

We can afford it if it's for the Market,  we can't afford it if it's for working people.

 

The working  people will get austerity.


Agreed. There are talks of bail outs for cruise lines and airlines....but what about a paid emergency leave option for regular folks?


      Here in Texas, the testing labs can perform 26 tests per day.    Now someone tell me how it is supposed to evaluate the state population ( 15M) ,especially because many lack a personal physician because it is a REPublican governed state.  

 

from today SAEN   ( san antonio express news) 

And the state’s testing capacity is limited. Texas officials said last week that the largest public health lab could handle a maximum of 26 tests per day. Federal guidance recommended that doctors “use their judgment” when deciding if a patient merits testing and said they should consider symptoms as well as travel history and the possibility of close contact with people who tested positive for the coronavirus disease.


Let me tell you what I just heard in our local news, here in Pensacola.  Guess what, the reporter was trying to find out where in this city you could get tested, and guess what, she could not find a doctor, a State Health care office or anyone that would tell her where she could go to get tested. We have no numbers at all in this city. and of course Alabama has not said one word about having any. But do you really believe that we in this area do not have anything? in Florida only  47 cases and most of the places are being closed down? This is Spring Break. really? nothing anywhere?  the tourism in this State is too big and yet nothing/  really?

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Singapore is testing, contact-tracing, and ring-fencing. They haven't had any deaths yet and their per capita infection rate is higher than ours. Almost 8 times higher.

 

We need to face the fact there are countries more advanced and knowledgeable than ours and learn from them. When this is all over, I assume there will be a federal report on what we did right and what we did wrong and we had better improve.....

 

I say all this because I think Trump truly believed he'd stem the stock market destruction by announcing a travel ban last night. And it just shows the world he/we have no clue what we are doing. That does not engender confidence....

 

 

 

 

Trusted Contributor

Trump's struggling golf clubs just happen to be in those countries who are exempted from the European travel ban. What a coincidence. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Trump's struggling golf clubs just happen to be in those countries who are exempted from the European travel ban. What a coincidence.

 

It's true, and we all know it's no coincidence.

Honored Social Butterfly

ManicProgressive posted..



We need to face the fact there are countries more advanced and knowledgeable than ours and learn from them. When this is all over, I assume there will be a federal report on what we did right and what we did wrong and we had better improve.....


===========================================================

A report ... I am sure there will be.

"We need to face the fact there are countries more advanced and knowledgeable than ours" And I thought our country is very advanced and knowledgeable.

0 Kudos
469 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:
ManicProgressive posted..



We need to face the fact there are countries more advanced and knowledgeable than ours and learn from them. When this is all over, I assume there will be a federal report on what we did right and what we did wrong and we had better improve.....


===========================================================

A report ... I am sure there will be.

"We need to face the fact there are countries more advanced and knowledgeable than ours" And I thought our country is very advanced and knowledgeable.


We all thought so to and then we put a reality star in charge of keeping America great. Sad decision. 

Honored Social Butterfly

"We need to face the fact there are countries more advanced and knowledgeable than ours" And I thought our country is very advanced and knowledgeable.

Richva posted..

We all thought so to and then we put a reality star in charge of keeping America great. Sad decision.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Typical response from Richva...funny? not!

Enough of posting to posters that can not be serious.

Back on ignore for know!

Keep posting 24/7...it seem to be your job. Just saying



0 Kudos
2,167 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 

That's interesting, just ignore? That seems to be trump's strategy in dealing with this crisis...ignore it and it will go away! Just shows his true colors, he's not a leader, never was, never will be. 

Besides, @Richva hit it on the head!

Happy ITYS!

0 Kudos
2,146 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

williamb39198 posted..


Besides, @Richva hit it on the head!

================================================

 

Two of a kind.

Enough of posting to posters that can not be serious.


 

 

0 Kudos
2,112 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:

williamb39198 posted..


Besides, @Richva hit it on the head!

================================================

 

Two of a kind.

Enough of posting to posters that can not be serious.


 

 


Oh yes. Dead serious. Investors, including myself, wanted to see a well conceived and coordinated response to the crisis.  What we got was a disjointed speech from a man with pupils the size of quarters and a constant flow of comments from foreign leaders and health officials about what a surprise this was and how ineffective it was going to be.  

0 Kudos
2,074 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

It would seem that trump can no longer manipulate the markets, by lying and making up false accusations like the China trade deal, or peace agreements. 
People now get the real world view of what is taking place and cannot deny seeing it, or watching trump lie about the virus...financial harm is, and will take place for affected corporations, small businesses, and individual citizens. Reality about trump is setting in...the wanna be emperor/dictator has no clothes!

 

ITYS!

0 Kudos
2,047 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Markets plummet in wake of Trump Travel Ban

=====================================================

That is SOP when things like that are put in place. But its typical that what ever Trump does to protect ALL of us the left will say its the wrong thing.

 

Trump handling is doing a good job in his handling of this crisis.  

At a time like this its up to us to pull together.

Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:

Markets plummet in wake of Trump Travel Ban

=====================================================

That is SOP when things like that are put in place. But its typical that what ever Trump does to protect ALL of us the left will say its the wrong thing.

 

Trump handling is doing a good job in his handling of this crisis.  

At a time like this its up to us to pull together.


It would not serve any purpose to say that Trump is not doing anything at all. that is not the issue here. What we need to recognize is that we are behind the curb ball and need to get infront. At this time testing is the best thing that we can do to at least mitigate this virus. criticism is not productive. pointing fingers is silly. we need to see how we are going to survive any of this. the rest is for another time. 

no name
0 Kudos
442 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@KidBoy2 wrote:
Markets plummet in wake of Trump Travel Ban

=====================================================

That is SOP when things like that are put in place. But its typical that what ever Trump does to protect ALL of us the left will say its the wrong thing.

At a time like this its up to us to pull together.


No. It is not SOP.  Obama went through SARS and the N1H1 with nothing like this kind of chaos. This is not SOP, this is ITYS.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png