Tell Congress to stop Rx greed and cut prescription drug prices now! Here’s how.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Mandate Liability Insurance for Gun Owners

Message 31 of 38

@Olderscout66

People who own a gun or more than one have liability coverage under their homeowners policy, if they own a home.

A Liability Umbrella policy also provides added liability coverage above the homeowners limit, as much as you can pay for.

As with ALL liability coverage it only protects you against an accident to a third party and much gun violence is outside that realm.

The majority of deaths from guns come from suicide.  No liability protection there.

I think most responsible gun owners already have this coverage and well, the rest probably wouldn't buy it, mandated or not - just like auto insurance.  

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 38

@oceanedge2wrote:

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

That also is the way dictatorships gain power, the vocal few take away the freedoms of the many.
Put that away in the sock drawer and step into the reality of the "few" and the "many" voices.  It's hard to believe you've not been listening at all.
February 20, 2018 - U.S. Support For Gun Control Tops 2-1, Highest Ever, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2521

If I am not mistaken the Quinnipiac University Polls are one of the most accurate and reliable in America. Surely this should validate that most Americans want gun controls, including banning weapons capable of killing dozens of people in seconds.

Enacting gun control laws would hardly be the vocal few taking away the freedoms of the many.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 38

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

the only things qualifying for affordable insurance will be single action weapons that have a legitimate role for hunting, sporting events and self/home defense.

Apparently you are not a hunter and probably doesn't own a firearm.  I also not either myself.  But I understand that one could take one shot at, say a deer, and only wound it.  Then it would go off and die a painful death.  In that case with a semi-automatic another shot could be made before it disappears to die somewhere in a thicket.

Further perhaps you want to end the sport of hunting for a great many that couldn't afford the high rate of insurance that would probably eliminate many sportsmen.

Just like the 18th Amendment prohibiting alcoholic beverages it only takes a few to affect many.  That also is the way dictatorships gain power, the vocal few take away the freedoms of the many.

(a)  It does not take a semi-automatic with a removable clip/magazine to be able to fire two shots at a dear. Even Shotguns with deer slugs (often used) are capable of firing more than one shot.

(b)  Naturally, common sense indicates that insurance on true hunting weapons would obviously be far cheaper than that on weapons capable of firing 40 to 120 rounds per minute.

(c)  What freedoms have been taken away?  I know that the freedoms were taken away from many young people in a matter of seconds by the use of weapons capable of firing 40 to 120 rounds per second.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 38

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

That also is the way dictatorships gain power, the vocal few take away the freedoms of the many.
Put that away in the sock drawer and step into the reality of the "few" and the "many" voices.  It's hard to believe you've not been listening at all.
February 20, 2018 - U.S. Support For Gun Control Tops 2-1, Highest Ever, Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds
https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2521

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 38

@TxGrandpa2wrote:

@Olderscout66wrote:

the only things qualifying for affordable insurance will be single action weapons that have a legitimate role for hunting, sporting events and self/home defense.

Apparently you are not a hunter and probably doesn't own a firearm.  I also not either myself.  But I understand that one could take one shot at, say a deer, and only wound it.  Then it would go off and die a painful death.  In that case with a semi-automatic another shot could be made before it disappears to die somewhere in a thicket.

Further perhaps you want to end the sport of hunting for a great many that couldn't afford the high rate of insurance that would probably eliminate many sportsmen.

Just like the 18th Amendment prohibiting alcoholic beverages it only takes a few to affect many.  That also is the way dictatorships gain power, the vocal few take away the freedoms of the many.

So you want to end the state requirement that all have auto insurance. Next the people injured by autos will want the Fed. Govt. to bail them out with money like a lot of the storm people did who did not have flood insurance, and their state (tx is an example) does not supply any long term help. Your last sentence is correct but lets call a spade a spade. The vocal few are the far right just look at what they say for proof. Nothing but nonsense.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 38

@Olderscout66wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 38

I would support it. I wonder if rates would be different for different firearms? If so, the rates on an AR-15 or similar weapon would be out of site.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Mandate Liability Insurance for Gun Owners

Message 38 of 38

For a VERY long time, we've required vehicle owners to carry liability insurance, not because they or the vehicle is inherently dangerous, but because of the POTENTIAL damage they can cause, accidentally OR ON PURPOSE. To make this fair to the victims as well as the owners, the policies should cover the average value of a human life, which Stanford University economists have calculated to be $129,000.

Dems in Congress proposed such a bill, but the NRAGOP will not allow it to even be debated on the floor of the House. Why? BECAUSE the Insurance Companies are not stupid or suicidal and will charge according to the actual risk involved, and this will end gun ownership for the bottom 90%, which includes 99% of gun owners.

Then we can have real experts determine the true cost of gun ownership based on the cost-benefit analysis of having the weapon.

IMHO, the only things qualifying for affordable insurance will be single action weapons that have a legitimate role for hunting, sporting events and self/home defense.

Kudos
Views
Replies