Make Sure You Are Prepared When Entering Some Public Bathrooms

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Make Sure You Are Prepared When Entering Some Public Bathrooms

Message 1 of 14

The idea that anyone in our medical community is not aware of the dangers and limitations of opiod use is nonsense.

If an individual has an addiction problem, that problem is a medical problem. Period.

All non-medical resources applied to that problem make it worse.

A junkie is a junkie however he or she got that way. That said, being a junkie is a medical condition. It is not a criminal condition.

Note: I define junkie as an individual addicted to a drug. All junkies are addicts. Not all addicts are junkies.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 14

alotofgray--For years docs have been overprescribing pain killers.  What we know now is that when used for a long period of time, these opiods lose their ability to kill pain, and actually can make pain worse.  This is addiction.  When medical professionals realized this was happening--and it was only when people started to die from overdosing, they cut back.  Doctors who saw the epidemic, and who not only looked the other way, but began to write prescriptions for anyone who had the money, were rounded up and jailed. The AMA urged docs to cut back on Opiod prescriptions, cutting down on dosage and number of pills prescribed.  This left a lack of drugs on the streets, because even in high schools, these things were sold.    

Once it became harder to get prescription drugs--whether legally or illegally, the next cheapest thing is herion, and, thus, here we are.  I was lecturing on the durg use epidemic in our country jail six years ago.

The sad thing is is that not all of these people are "junkies."  Some suffered from chronic pain and became addicted.  I know a young girl who was in an automobile accident that almost killed her.  They put her on an Opiod painkiller.  After a period of time, she really wanted to be done with the painkillers, telling herself that she would rather be in pain.  Funny thing, she was addicted, and immediately sought help in a Suboxone clinic.  Once the Suboxone levels were tapered down, she realized that she was no longer in pain.  (that ironic side efftect of long term opiate use.)  It took a year, and she is clean.

Ironically, she was just in another accident.  Immediately, she was offered an opiod, Tramadol.  She refused.  And, that's how easy it is to get caught up in drug addiction.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 14

@Richva wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

What do you mean that "other countries treat drug users"?

We do too if they seek help.  But I recently read that many communities are removing Suboxone because it is now becoming addictive and they are just trading one drug of choice to another.  Course, there is still methadone.

Show up and you get your daily dose, stay for counseling and then do it all over again.  If you live in a relatively urban or suburban area, there maybe even one of these in your area because now they putting them close to mass transit areas.

The hardest part is getting them into a program.  It don't work if they are not a willing participant.  Sometimes quickly; sometimes slowly - sometimes it is repeat, repeat, repeat.

To the subject, what do you think of setting up safe places in order for them to shoot up, satisfy their addiction and make sure they don't die from an overdose.

I think Washington state is the only place that has these types of places currently.

Safe places to shoot up.  Prescribe drugs at low or no cost for addicts. Needle exchange programs.  Increased counselling and financial support.  All those things are needed to cut the epidemic. 

It will help -

Hope someday the right wing pulls the head out and starts looking at Portugal's 14 year long success story in effectively dealing with drugs.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 14

Gail1--Thank you for this article.  This is reminiscent of all thse old programs that provide clean needles. 

In a wide ranging meeting I attended over the weekend, the producer/writer/director of a local play based on the lives of drug addicted citizens in our commuity 9Yes, these people came forth and freely talked off their plight), discussed not only free needles, but free naloxone kits, hoping that our community could provide both, while, at the same time, providing drug counseling and offerings of rehab programs. 

After the play, a location has been reserved so that interested people may discuss the above situations. 

Some people can be soo awesome, it can almost, but not quite, make you forget about the ones who see others in need as a burden or beneath them.

Thanks again, Gail!!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 14

@GailL1 wrote:

What do you mean that "other countries treat drug users"?

We do too if they seek help.  But I recently read that many communities are removing Suboxone because it is now becoming addictive and they are just trading one drug of choice to another.  Course, there is still methadone.

Show up and you get your daily dose, stay for counseling and then do it all over again.  If you live in a relatively urban or suburban area, there maybe even one of these in your area because now they putting them close to mass transit areas.

The hardest part is getting them into a program.  It don't work if they are not a willing participant.  Sometimes quickly; sometimes slowly - sometimes it is repeat, repeat, repeat.

To the subject, what do you think of setting up safe places in order for them to shoot up, satisfy their addiction and make sure they don't die from an overdose.

I think Washington state is the only place that has these types of places currently.

Safe places to shoot up.  Prescribe drugs at low or no cost for addicts. Needle exchange programs.  Increased counselling and financial support.  All those things are needed to cut the epidemic. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 14

There is no rush for junkies to OD in the public john - they shoot up in hospital parking lots BECAUSE that's where they have their best chance of getting timely treatment so they can OD again tomorrow (or later today, depending on their financia lsituation).

Back in the 60's Nixon declaired War on Drugs That Hippies and Black People Use. That stupid racist war has continued for half a century, destroyed more minority families than slavery, wasted more money than jrbush's Wars for Oil, and given the USA a Gulaug Archapeligo bigger than Stalin ever dreamed possible.

The obvious and proven solution is DECRIMINALIZATION. GOPers will never go along with solving the problem because their owners make too much money with their for-profit prisons, so if a solution is what you want, don't EVER vote for another Republican and the problem will be solved.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 14

@alotofgrey wrote:

I don't get this. Opiod epidemic? Public bath rooms? Epidemic? That implies huge medical problem. What medical problem? What is the CDC doing about it? Where did it come from? How is it spead? The commode seat?

The opoid thing comes from accidental prescription opoid painkiller overdoses.

Some drug manufacturers overstated how long their medication effectively reduced pain, which caused the doctor to unknowingly underprescribe dosage frequency, which can cause patients to either take the recommended dose when the increase of pain reoccurs, even though it might be an hour or two early (that's relatively safe) some will mistakenly take a higher dosage, thinking it will last longer - unfortunately it does - a lifetime.  

There have been cases of mixing OTC medication with prescription medication to increase pain relief that has had really bad results, along with mixing prescription pain relievers with a couple of stiff drinks not being a good idea... 

However the above is very seldom involved in ODs and fatalities in bathrooms.   Most of those are the real thing opoids...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 14

@GailL1 wrote:

Then I assume that you agree with setting up "safe places" , alfredpacker.

Of course - I've always been in favor of safe places.

Waaay back in the day I was a tripsitter for acid trips.

I've seen drug use, abuse, addiction from both sides of the fence.

Yup - been there done that got all the tee shirts - at least up until '77.

Lost a number of dear friends back in the sixties and seventies some to drug OD, some to motorcycle accidents some to climbing/mountaineering accidents, and have lost some more in the last two decades from accidental painkiller overdoses and interaction deaths that no one ever warned them about.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 14

I don't get this. Opiod epidemic? Public bath rooms? Epidemic? That implies huge medical problem. What medical problem? What is the CDC doing about it? Where did it come from? How is it spead? The commode seat?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 14

Then I assume that you agree with setting up "safe places" , alfredpacker.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Claim your 1,000 Welcome bonus points!

Get Started with AARP Rewards.