Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Mail voting is bad, but absentee voting is good

Message 1 of 5

Yep, TX GOP try and make it as difficult as possible to vote by mail.    The TX Supreme Ct made a ruling re: Covid, but left a huge hole for most who want to VBM do so.  

Texans can do it on-line, but then it relies on the SOS to do their job and most people don't know the rules and it sends their application into purgatory.   I am there to help and to put a human face to making the process easier.  

In TX, the GOV has outlawed any attempts by Election officials to inform people that their AABM has been accepted.    So everyone has to call the Elections Office to confirm their ballot application was accepted.    

My advocacy gives people all the information that they need, but sometimes people are human and make human errors.   I just want them to be able to vote by mail.  

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 5

@afisher 

So do you have to have an approved "reason" to request an absentee or mail in ballot in Tx?

We don't here in Georgia - anybody can fill out an application for an absentee ballot regardless of the reason.  The important thing is that the vote-requestor is exactly as the voting roles show - including address.

I just requested one here for a run off election - did it online and I received it in a couple of days in the mail and now it is all ready to be sent back, either by mail or dropped at the secured drop box closest to me or I could take it to my voting precinct on the run off election day - Aug 11

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 5

I happen to think that this is brilliant from  Trump, he knows h9ow intelligent his followers are and is speaking to them.

goodlol.jpg

no name
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 5

I am one of the people who calls to inquire if people are interested in voting by mail.    Yes, it is a hugely successful effort for a number of reasons.     

So let me explain that the ABBM ( application to obtain a Ballot By Mail) at least here in TX.    There are / were darn few that could apply.   One of the reasons is that a person ( of any age) can apply is that  they would be outside the voting area during the entire election cycle could apply for that ballot by mail.  ( Makes one wonder why Gov. just keeps extending the early voting period - as travel is quite limited at the moment).    

Meanwhile, the application is the same, there are just different boxes to check, but it is the same ballot that is mailed.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Mail voting is bad, but absentee voting is good

Message 5 of 5

https://www.salon.com/2020/07/31/trump-says-mail-voting-is-bad-but-absentee-voting-is-good-his-lawye... 

Trump says mail voting is bad, but absentee voting is good. His lawyers admit they’re the same thing "The terms ‘mail-in’ and ‘absentee’ are used interchangeably" to describe the same thing, his lawyers said in court

President Donald Trump on Thursday tried to draw a distinction between "mail voting" and "absentee voting," but his own lawyers acknowledged in court documents the two are the same thing.

Trump suggested delaying the election on Thursday amid plummeting poll numbers and the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, which has killed more than 150,000 people and caused the largest GDP drop in U.S. history. Trump has no power to postpone the election, and the idea was roundly rejected by Republican lawmakers. At the same time, many members of the GOP have expressed similar concerns about mail-in voting as the president.

"With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history," Trump claimed without evidence.

Some states have long used all-mail elections. There have been more than 250 million ballots cast by mail in the last 20 years, and only 143 prosecutions related to mail ballot fraud, or a rate of about 0.00006%.

Trump later reiterated that he opposed "mail-in-voting" but "totally" supports "absentee voting," even though they are the same thing. Trump and many of his aides have repeatedly voted by mail themselves.

Trump and White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany, for example, have claimed that they voted "absentee" in Florida. But there is no "absentee" voting in Florida. Instead, the state has a "no excuse" vote-by-mail system that allows anyone to cast a ballot by mail for any reason.

Trump's own lawyers acknowledged that there is no difference between "mail-in voting" and "absentee voting" in a lawsuit challenging Pennsylvania's mail voting rules last month.

Attorneys for the Trump campaign noted that while some states have different wording regarding the terminology, "the terms 'mail-in' and 'absentee' are used interchangeably to discuss the use of the United States Postal Service to deliver ballots to and from electors" in a lawsuit available in full on the president's

Comment:

Trump doesn't know they're the same thing,  Shhhhhhhhh no one tell him. Let the moron keep making a fool of himself.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a health tip to share or a health question to ask?

Check out the Health Tips discussion board today!

Top Authors