Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MY TAKE REGARDING THE DEBATES

Message 1 of 16

A monthly Reuters/Ipsos Poll came out this week and appears to indicate winners and losers in the Democratic Debate.

Those who lost ground from Reuters previous Poll:

Kamala Harris
Elizabeth Warren
Andrew Yang
Beto O'Rourke
Julian Castro
Tim Ryan
Kirsten Gillibrand
Steve Bullock
John Hickenllooper

I was surprised the poll showed Elizabeth Warren losing ground since the last time Reuters took their poll a month prior. I thought she did very well in the Debate and some media sources claimed she was the winner on the first night of Debate #2.

No surprise Kamala Harris took a big hit in the new poll after her reaction to Tulsi Gabbard's allegations about her tenure as prosecutor.
Kamala avoided answering the allegations on stage and after the Debate tried to dismiss it by pointing out that Tulsi is polling at only 1% . Tulsi wasn't the only one on stage at 1%. John Delaney was given plenty of air-time by CNN to make his point and level his attacks.
After the Debate Kamala resorted to "Tulsi is an Assad apologist" and kills people "like cockroaches", and later her campaign attacked Tulsi as being a Russian Bot. I think the way Kamala and her team handled the allegations hurt her more than helped her.

Corey Booker's numbers improved. No surprise there. He was able to attack Biden yet did not seem mean spirited about it. I think his growing support came from both Kamala and Biden.

Biden picked up some support in the new poll, although just a fraction. I think that came from disappointed Kamala supporters.

Bernie Sanders gained in the Reuters new poll - a solid 2 points from the previous poll.

Biden and Sanders are currently viewed as the safest bets for beating Trump among all Democrats.

The poll was taken between August 1-5 by Democrats and independents.

poll biden bernie reuters.jpg

https://graphics.reuters.com/USA-ELECTION-POLL/0100B05G09P/index.html

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 16

Round two: my what a fiesty bunch! Totally different atmosphere than round one. But for both nights, my score card reads 0 for 2.  Too few hits, no home runs, and a lot of strike outs.

I also thought Tulsi Gabbard did very well. I could see her as a VP nominee. With all of the slings and arrows, I thought Biden held his own. I wouldn't expect much in the way of poll changes where he is concerned. Unfortunately, I don't think that Kamala Harris did anything to help her cause. This is about her third attempt at a health care plan, and it wasn't impressive. She spent too much time attacking Biden instead of explaining what she wants to do for voters. Cory Booker did okay, and may have helped himself a bit. He did occasionally remind us where the real fight was, but he still took his shots at Biden. Gov Inslee was the most productive in terms of ideas and talking about the programs he implemented in his home state.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 16

Just want to remind all. We have a form of Medicare for All, and have had it for about a 100 years. Just go to the ER and you will get medical treatment weather you can pay or not. We  all pay for that in various taxes now. It is the highest cost, poorest outcome part of the health care system, and we should do everything possible to keep people from using it as their only part. The ACA was a good start and does some of that. The ACA is a stepping stone to a Medicare insurance system for all which will be the cheapest for all. Medicare program pay out 97 or 98 cents of every dollar taken in. Private Insurance Cos. before the ACA paid out between something like 55 and 60 cents of every dollar taken  in. After they ACA they pay out 80 cents of every dollar taken in. So medicare type program gets you a 17 cent saving of every dollar taken in to start with. All should learn about the health care system.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 16

I still remember how I felt when Obama was running for president and I saw the platform of what he wanted to do. I breathed  a sigh of relief. and the reason was because I thought that the ACA would be the first step to a single payer option.
I saw the problems that Obama had with his own party in trying to put thru the ACA and he had a Democratic Senate and Congress.  and now i see many of the ones here in this message board trying to disregard what it took to get the ACA and are now tyring to destroy the whole thing and trying to come up with an unrealistic programs that could destroy Medicare  as a program for the seniors.
Sorry, no way Jose, neither the Republicans that won't follow Trump or the Independents will vote for Medicare for all. and what I see is that the Democrat are silly in thinking that they don't need our vote. Guess what. you all do. and if  we don't vote for you you will not have the chance of doing nothing.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 16

@gordyfl wrote:

Following the last two debates, Tulsi Gabbard has spiked to #1 in Google Trends:

tulsi google trending 1.jpg

This doesn't surprise me. She did well last night and I'm sure people will know try to find out who and what she stands for.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 16

Following the last two debates, Tulsi Gabbard has spiked to #1 in Google Trends:

tulsi google trending 1.jpg

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 16

Everytime I see Kirsten Gillibrand she seems very likable to me. She could turn out to be a good choice as VP. 

Tulsi Gabbard also could be a good choice as VP.

On Night Two, Tulsi Gabbard was asked if public colleges should be tuition free. She said yes. Then she was asked if that should include illegal immigrants? She flat-out said no.
She is more in-step with Independent and swing voters. Not necessarily a good thing within the Democratic Primary but would help in the General Election.

I think Elizabeth Warren and Kamala Harris both have the vice-president as their Plan B. Klobuchar, too.

Kudos
Views
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 16

I was quite impressed with my Senator, Kirsten Gillibrand, performance. I think she did make an impression that will get her some much needed attention to go further in the debates.

Was quite amused with the following:

https://www.nypost.com/2019/08/01/kirsten-gillibrand-says-first-act-as-president-would-be-to-clorox-...

From NYPost - 8/1/2019 - "Kirsten Gillibrand says the first act as president would be to 'Clorox the Oval Office'"

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 16

MY TAKE REGARDING THE DEBATES

My take on the debates so far is the big issue is Medicare for all. With good reason debt is a huge issue for most Americans and medical debt and bankrupcy is a big part of that.

I also think if we had had the public option in the ACA then, Medicare for all would not be the big issue now. If the public option had been available in all fifty states people would have chosen it if it worked better for them, maybe even if it didn't .

Maybe people would have chosen it simply becuase it was the right thing to do.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 16

@KidBoy2 wrote:
USA Today

Winners:

Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders

=============================================================

I think the winner is the GOP party. You ask why...OK both
Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders progressive ideas will not fly. They are radical and unrealistic. If the Democrats are to win they need a candidate that is moderate.

Why will not their ideas fly?

Kudos
Views