Is your 'stuff' stressing you out? TV personality Matt Paxton has tips for downsizing and decluttering in our free, two-part webinar! Register now.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MSM Complicit in Climate Change Denial

Message 1 of 11

@rker321 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:
...Many words, little meaning, de rigueur insults - and yet, the sun did come up this morning and the birds are chirping

It is always surprising to see a poster that continuously calls
those on public assistance lazy and yet, don't have the courtesy to actually delete any previous messages that are part of his response. This action is not probably against the TOS  but it does impact the  quality of these posts.
I have and will continue to complain to the moderators until these posters have the courtesy if they really want to be part of this community to please, make this message board  a lot more pleasant.

I gotta admit, it is hard to see the connection between public assistance, long posts and climate change. However:

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 11

@rk9152 wrote:
...Many words, little meaning, de rigueur insults - and yet, the sun did come up this morning and the birds are chirping

It is always surprising to see a poster that continuously calls
those on public assistance lazy and yet, don't have the courtesy to actually delete any previous messages that are part of his response. This action is not probably against the TOS  but it does impact the  quality of these posts.
I have and will continue to complain to the moderators until these posters have the courtesy if they really want to be part of this community to please, make this message board  a lot more pleasant.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 11

@alferdpacker wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

Possibly trump's ignorance with regard to pulling out of the Paris Accord will wake up some of those unwilling to admit or oblvious to climate change.  In NYS, it is my understanding that recycling is law.  I have recycled for years, yet can't even count how many times I have seen people place recyclables in the garbage.  I see large trucks rolling past my home on a daily basis.  As I live on a lake, water traffic abounds, and, often, the vessels are very large.

Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth was mocked by many.  I found it terrifying.  The answer is education, but even though I hear about global warming on TV, radio,  and read about it often, I know there are many who never see, hear, or read any of this. 

I believe this planet is close to a tipping point.  Evidence is all around us, if only we are cognizant enough to see and realize what is happenig.

Rather than spending your life in terror, fear, foreboding, and hatred, it might help you to lighten up a wee bit and consider the realities of the situation.

1) There is climate change. There has been climate change since the get-go. And yes, we did have an Ice Age and that must have been pretty unpleasant. Who knows what Mother Earth has in store for us in the future - but rest assured, she does not need our help to bring it about nor can we stop her.

2) There is man made climate change. Tt is a price we pay for the good life we live. Should we ignore it? Of course not, but it is a matter of calm deliberation as to the possibilities and the trade offs. We have been improving our air and water quality and we will continue to. We have improved the energy sources we use - natural gas e.g. and will continue to do so.

3) We do not need to involve ourselves in a massive, globalist photo-op agreement to continue the good work we have been doing for the environment. We do not need to take billions of dollars from American taxpayers and send it overseas to continue our good work.

So, smile, be happy - the sun will rise tomorrow and the birds will chirp.

Most of those who were either not smart enough to see through the scam that Putin's boy put up or - driven by hatred - ended up casting their vote for the lying psychopath - will agree with what you posted.

The majority of humans on the planet today - some seven billion less the petty 62 million who voted for orange jabba - do not agree with what you posted - and are quite certain that doing what you advocate is suicidally stupid and dangerous - and - absolutely wrong.

Every day, more and more businesses leaders (the free market) are speaking out against the blind malicious bone headed stupidity of trump - but only because he's so obviously dead wrong...

The First Amendment allows conservatives to prove to the rest of the world that they are - ignorant of scientific reality - and willing to lie outrageously to defend being greedy, selfish, short-sighted, and just plain dead wrong.

In The Know: Coal Lobby Warns Wind Farms May Blow Earth Off Orbit | Video | The Onion - America's Fi...

Yes, dearie, republicans/conservatives who support trump are every bit as much an object of derision and ridicule in the eyes of the majority of people on this earth as the covfefe bleep bleeper...

Many words, little meaning, de rigueur insults - and yet, the sun did come up this morning and the birds are chirping

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 11

Dropping out of the agreement will let the U.S. avoid several deleterious effects of the agreement.

http://www.breitbart.com/economics/2017/05/31/every-bad-thing-avoided-rejecting-paris-climate-accord...

1.Goodbye to ‘American Last.’ The Paris agreement was basically an attempt to halt climate change on the honor system. Its only legal requirements were for signatories to announce goals and report progress, with no international enforcement mechanism. As a result, it was likely that the United States and wealthy European nations would have adopted and implemented severe climate change rules while many of the world’s governments would avoid doing anything that would slow their own economies. The agreement basically made the U.S. economy and Europe’s strongest economies sacrificial lambs to the cause of climate change.
2.Industrial Carnage. The regulations necessary to implement the Paris agreement would have cost the U.S. industrial sector 1.1 million jobs, according to a study commissioned by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. These job losses would center in cement, iron and steel, and petroleum refining. Industrial output would decline sharply.
3.Hollowing Out Michigan, Missouri, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. The industrial carnage would have been concentrated on four states, according to the Chamber of Commerce study. Michigan’s GDP would shrink by 0.8 percent and employment would contract by 74,000 jobs. Missouri’s GDP would shrink by 1 percent. Ohio’s GDP would contract 1.2 percent. Pennsylvania’s GDP would decline by 1.8 percent and the state would lose 140,000 jobs.
4.Smashing Small Businesses, Helping Big Business. Big businesses in America strongly backed the Paris climate deal. In fact, the backers of the climate deal reads like a “who’s who” of big American businesses: Apple, General Electric, Intel, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, General Mills, Walmart, DuPont, Unilever, and Johnson & Johnson. These business giants can more easily cope with costly regulations than their smaller competitors and many would, in fact, find business opportunities from the changes required. But smaller businesses and traditional start-ups would likely be hurt by the increased costs of compliance and rising energy costs.
5.Making America Poorer Again. A Heritage Foundation study found that the Paris agreement would have increased the electricity costs of an American family of four by between 13 percent and 20 percent annually. It forecast a loss of income of $20,000 by 2035. In other words, American families would be paying more while making less.
6.Much Poorer. The overall effect of the agreement would have been to reduce U.S. GDP by over $2.5 trillion and eliminate 400,000 jobs by 2035, according to Heritage’s study. This would exacerbate problems with government funding and deficits, make Social Security solvency more challenging, and increase reliance on government’s spending to support households.

The Paris deal was, in short, a disaster for America and a nothing-burger for climate.

===============================================

It was just another bad deal thanks to John Kerry and Obama.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 11

AP--well said!! A thousand kudos to you!!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 11

@rk9152 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

Possibly trump's ignorance with regard to pulling out of the Paris Accord will wake up some of those unwilling to admit or oblvious to climate change.  In NYS, it is my understanding that recycling is law.  I have recycled for years, yet can't even count how many times I have seen people place recyclables in the garbage.  I see large trucks rolling past my home on a daily basis.  As I live on a lake, water traffic abounds, and, often, the vessels are very large.

Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth was mocked by many.  I found it terrifying.  The answer is education, but even though I hear about global warming on TV, radio,  and read about it often, I know there are many who never see, hear, or read any of this. 

I believe this planet is close to a tipping point.  Evidence is all around us, if only we are cognizant enough to see and realize what is happenig.

Rather than spending your life in terror, fear, foreboding, and hatred, it might help you to lighten up a wee bit and consider the realities of the situation.

1) There is climate change. There has been climate change since the get-go. And yes, we did have an Ice Age and that must have been pretty unpleasant. Who knows what Mother Earth has in store for us in the future - but rest assured, she does not need our help to bring it about nor can we stop her.

2) There is man made climate change. Tt is a price we pay for the good life we live. Should we ignore it? Of course not, but it is a matter of calm deliberation as to the possibilities and the trade offs. We have been improving our air and water quality and we will continue to. We have improved the energy sources we use - natural gas e.g. and will continue to do so.

3) We do not need to involve ourselves in a massive, globalist photo-op agreement to continue the good work we have been doing for the environment. We do not need to take billions of dollars from American taxpayers and send it overseas to continue our good work.

Most of those who were either not smart enough to see through the scam that Putin's boy put up or - driven by hatred - ended up casting their vote for the lying psychopath - will agree with what you posted.

The majority of humans on the planet today - some seven billion less the petty 62 million who voted for orange jabba - do not agree with what you posted - and are quite certain that doing what you advocate is suicidally stupid and dangerous - and - absolutely wrong.

Every day, more and more businesses leaders (the free market) are speaking out against the blind malicious bone headed stupidity of trump - but only because he's so obviously dead wrong...

The First Amendment allows conservatives to prove to the rest of the world that they are - ignorant of scientific reality - and willing to lie outrageously to defend being greedy, selfish, short-sighted, and just plain dead wrong.

In The Know: Coal Lobby Warns Wind Farms May Blow Earth Off Orbit | Video | The Onion - America's Fi...

Yes, dearie, republicans/conservatives who support trump are every bit as much an object of derision and ridicule in the eyes of the majority of people on this earth as the covfefe bleep bleeper...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 11

@pc6063 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 11

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 11

I agree with Mick on this, but not for the same reasons.  As the media makes an effort to present both sides of an argument, they lend equal weight to both sides and let both sides be presented as "fact" acting as if it is 50 / 50 instead of 97 / 3.  I don't think they are actively trying to do it, they see it as "fair", when it is not.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 11

“Americans Are Less Worried about Climate Change than Almost Anyone Else.”

Not because of the press, because people are too lazy to change their habits. I rail on this all the time and of course, get no response. Almost 30% of emissions come from electricity generation. Everyone in America should be paying attention to their appliances, keeping lights off, watching their thermostat settings, etc.

About 27% of emissions are from transportation. What do Americans drive? #1, Ford f150. #2,  Silverado. #3, Ram trucks. No one on these forums is going to admit they have a large truck to simply drive to work when they could be driving something that gets 30+ mpg.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors