Learn how to spot and avoid common scams with AARP's Fraud Resource Center. Try it today!

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT - REALLY ?

Message 11 of 29

I'm not surprised to hear this.  A lot of us will be in the same boat, and after all the years of hard work and taxes that we paid into the system.

What really bothers me even more is that, even though the economy is on the upswing, we seniors are getting a measley 2% COLA.  I know there are specific calculations they used to get this figure, but Congress and the Administration have got to do better for sernios.  No senior should be living at or near poverty, especially after putting into a system for 30 years or more.  I'm even more disappointed and surprised that the AARP has been terribly silent on this matter.  It's time for the Congress to take up this matter and find a more beneficial way to calculate the COLA.  Tax reform is here for now, so there isn't a whole lot we can do at the moment, but we can try to get to our Reps and Senators to take up this matter.  We've got to remember that seniors are about 100 million strong, and we can get people out of Congress as well as replace them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 29

@KidBoy2 wrote:
NerdyMom posted..

‎12-20-2017 09:00 PM
My mother makes a little under $50,000 in retirement income and some modest investment income, and she's going to pay more.

=======================

$50,000 plus investment income.

I doubt that she will pay more unless she has a "lot" of investment income.

Has she checked with a tax person or did she hear that from Nancy Pelosi?

It’s gross for you to attack my mother.  She did taxes for a living. I’m sure she knows way more about her own situation than you do.  Plus, she’s a republican. She doesn’t listen to Nancy Pelosi. Take your nasty comments somewhere else. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 29

@KidBoy2 wrote:
NerdyMom posted..

My mother makes a little under $50,000 in retirement income and some modest investment income, and she's going to pay more.

=======================

My first grandson will be born in February. I can't imagine how thrilled he will be when he is old enough to learn my generation left another $1.5 Trillion in debt for his to pay in order to get an extra $100/month until the breaks expire. OR.....$100/month forever with a corresponding increase in the $1.5 Trillion.  

Remember when Republicans hated deficit spending? Long live Kansas.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 29
NerdyMom posted..

=======================

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 29

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 29

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Here are some things everyone needs to know:

• The tax bill doesn't simplify much, it has approximately 500 pages. That means there are components of the law we don't even know about.

===========================================

Here's one of them -

Tax Reform legislation cuts Orphan Drug Research Tax Credit in Half

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 29

@CriticalThinking wrote:

• Tax bill doesn't simplify much, it has approximately 500 pages. That means there are components of the law we don't even know about.
  • According to independent analysis, about 80% of the primary benefits go to the wealthiest Americans like Donald Trump and large corporations.
  • There are some positive aspects to the law, but overall, it's a huge disappointment. Even though I will personally benefit, I think this tax law isn't even close to what it should have and could have been.
  • It will add between $1.5 and $2 Trillion to the deficit.
  • The overwhelming majority of Americans are opposed to the law. If it was a middle class tax cut, why are so many Americans opposed to the law?

Right you are, CeeTee.  Just another fraud perpetuated on Americans by the GOP.  "Believe me".

I see they're on their way to a party to celebrate the rich getting richer....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

MIDDLE CLASS TAX CUT - REALLY ?

Message 18 of 29

• The tax bill doesn't simplify much, it has approximately 500 pages. That means there are components of the law we don't even know about.
  • According to independent analysis, about 80% of the primary benefits go to the wealthiest Americans like Donald Trump and large corporations.
  • There are some positive aspects to the law, but overall, it's a huge disappointment. Even though I will personally benefit, I think this tax law isn't even close to what it should have and could have been.
  • It will add between $1.5 and $2 Trillion to the deficit.
  • The overwhelming majority of Americans are opposed to the law. If it was a middle class tax cut, why are so many Americans opposed to the law?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 29

@Olderscout66 wrote:

To assess the Republican's latest tax scam, you need to listen carefully to the words they use: 75% of taxpayers will get a tax cut....

No, the Republicans didn't use those words. Those words came from YOUR leftist NY Times!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/12/17/upshot/tax-calculator.html

The NY Times article points out that: "The Republican tax bill would cut taxes for about 75 percent of filers in 2018. How would it affect you?" See above link!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 29

To assess the Republican's latest tax scam, you need to listen carefully to the words they use: 75% of taxpayers will get a tax cut, but ALL of the top 20% will get a cut, and 47% already pay zero so they'll continue to pay zero with higher incomes, meaning they "got a cut", so only 8 of the remaining 33% will get a cut.

This means  25% of workers who currently pay federal income taxes but earn less than $121,000 (bottom end of the top 20%) will get a tax cut for the latest GOPerscam. The other 75% will get bumpkiss. Remember to thank a Hillary Hater as you fill out your return.

If you bother to diddle with the NYT "calculator" you'll find the average worker will get $10/week while the +$750,000 fat-cat will get $620/week, which will increase his portfolio of existing stocks and bonds but not result in a dime of additional CONSUMPTION and have no impact whatsoever on job creation.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors