Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MEDICARE FOR ALL WOULD COST LESS

Message 41 of 56

Bernie’s plan will cost over $6 trillion less than the current health care system over the next ten years.

The United States currently spends $3 trillion on health care each year—nearly $10,000 per person. Reforming our health care system, simplifying our payment structure and incentivizing new ways to make sure patients are actually getting better health care will generate massive savings. This plan has been estimated to save the American people and businesses over $6 trillion over the next decade.

BETTER COVERAGE

Bernie’s plan would create a federally administered single-payer health care program. Universal single-payer health care means comprehensive coverage for all Americans. Bernie’s plan will cover the entire continuum of health care, from inpatient to outpatient care; preventive to emergency care; primary care to specialty care, including long-term and palliative care; vision, hearing and oral health care; mental health and substance abuse services; as well as prescription medications, medical equipment, supplies, diagnostics and treatments. Patients will be able to choose a health care provider without worrying about whether that provider is in-network and will be able to get the care they need without having to read any fine print or trying to figure out how they can afford the out-of-pocket costs.

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin Quote
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: MEDICARE FOR ALL

Message 42 of 56

I think we should have a single payer system.  If it turns out to be like Medicare that would not be too bad.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 56

We are NOT one of them. These are the FACTS. Sorry.....toot your horns.....Woman Indifferent

These are the countries with the best healthcare

http://www.roadwarriorvoices.com/2015/07/26/these-are-the-countries-with-the-best-healthcare/

In fact, last year the Common Wealth Fund ranked the United States last of 11 nations in a survey about healthcare. The results were based on a series of indicators like quality, access, efficiency, equity and healthy lives. Indeed, as International Living’s Annual Global Retirement Index 2015 shows, there’s fabulous health care systems in many countries you wouldn’t expect.

U.S. Healthcare Ranked Dead Last Compared To 10 Other Countries

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunro/2014/06/16/u-s-healthcare-ranked-dead-last-compared-to-10-other...

1. United Kingdom

2. Switzerland

3. Sweden

4. Australia

5. Germany & Netherlands (tied)

7. New Zealand & Norway (tied)

9. France

10. Canada

11. United States

It’s fairly well accepted that the U.S. is the most expensive healthcare system in the world, but many continue to falsely assume that we pay more for healthcare because we get better health (or better health outcomes). The evidence, however, clearly doesn’t support that view.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 56

I LOVE Bernie Sanders and would LOVE Medicare-for-all. We are the only major country on the PLANET that doesn't have health care for all. The U.S ranks near the BOTTOM even though we like to "toot our own horns" screaming how GREAT we are. 

It always amazes me that these right wing SENIORS, who depend on MEDICARE, are the first ones to attack the notion of health care for all. Without MEDICARE, which is AUTOMATIC and no worries about PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS, how would SENIORS get health care coverage?

Do they think insurance companies will PROFIT from covering decrepit, sickly, feeble, going-down-the-tubes, on-their-last-leg old folks? Yes, we SENIORS will all be getting SICKER at some point as we age. You think insurance companies, ON THE OPEN MARKET, will come calling to offer you health care? Where is the PROFIT incentive for them to cover OLD FOLKS?

Be THANKFUL you have MEDICARE....that you paid into all these years. Or most of you would be OUT-OF-LUCK.

I say it's time to offer MEDICARE-FOR-ALL for WORKING FOLKS, with FAMILIES, who are NOW, CONTRIBUTING to society by WORKING. It's time to take the PROFIT out of HEALTH CARE. 

Also, yes, the ACA....aka....."Obamacare" as labeled by Conservative hypocrites, is not perfect. FAR from it........but it's a start.

And these CONSERVATIVE LAWMAKERS, who rail against ANY proposal for health care for all, ALL get SUBSIDIZED health care thanks to TAXPAYERS. Rubio and Cruz, both, are enrolled in OBAMACARE. 

It's time to skip the HYPOCRISY. If either Bernie or Hillary become POTUS.....that is the FAR better alternative than right wing HYPOCRITES that want to take health care away from the 20 million who, now, have it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 56

THE PLAN WOULD BE FULLY PAID FOR BY:

• A 6.2 percent income-based health care premium paid by employers.
    Revenue raised: $630 billion per year.
  • A 2.2 percent income-based premium paid by households.
    Revenue raised: $210 billion per year.This year, a family of four taking the standard deduction can have income up to $28,800 and not pay this tax under this plan.

A family of four making $50,000 a year taking the standard deduction would only pay $466 this year.

The horrendous cost of mediCAID would be eliminated as it would no longer be needed saving taxpayers BILLIONS, 

Costly emegency rooms ,,,, no or low cost to the patient BUT a HEAVY  BURDEN on taxpayers also GONE!

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Ben Franklin Quote
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 56

@afisher wrote:
(That was the analysis from Forbes economist - of which you can read by googling : the purple report).

You are making quite a claim that there is a "Forbes economist" who has issued a report that says Bernie Sanders' Medicaid for All proposal is "sane" and that most economists agree with him.

I am really looking forward to reading it so maybe you can provide a link because when I googled "the purple report" as you suggested, I got

purplereport.jpg

... a blog written by someone named Elizabeth Troval, a Facebook page with no content, a Youtube video I don't want to open, a lot of stuff about gays, something about Brett Favre (the Vikings colors?) and nothing in the first 20-30 entries remotely related to Bernie Sanders, or economists, or Medicare or Forbes or anything else ever discussed on this Topic that I can see. I got an equally nonsense list when I left off the "the."

I cannot even find anyone called "a Forbes economist." Dozens if not hundreds of economists have written articles for Forbes so perhaps you can be more specific and we can see if there is any substance behind your claim

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 56

Name calling and condescending remarks do not work ... Try real objections backed by noted experts. Your "superior" knowledge over mine is highly ...... questionable!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------You have to consider the source as olderscout has had no credability on this board for years.  He is always pulling false numbers out of his hat like a clumsy magician.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 56

Name calling and condescending remarks do not work ... Try real objections backed by noted experts. Your "superior" knowledge over mine is highly ...... questionable!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 56

Medicare for All is just a label for Universal Single Payer health care coverage. It has nothing to do with changing existing Medicare, or Medicaid or CHIP or Tricare.

Amazing that Republicans can use a misunderstanding of what's going on as a basis to criticize how it can be made better.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 56

Republicans spend all their time denying the benefits of Universal single payer health care for Americans so they have no time left over to actually check the numbers or develop any alternatives.

Here's some simple numbers for simple minds:

$2,919,7B Total cost of health care delivered in 2014

-550.5B Already paid for by Medicare – no need to pay twice

-410.8B Already covered by Medicaid

- 11.3B Already paid by CHIPS

-339.4B Out of Pocket – we need a copay to prevent overloading the delivery system

-174.0B Net “profit” for Insurance Companies

- 75.0B 30% savings in prescription drugs

-33.2B   2% savings for provider's reduced paperwork (actual savings should be greater)

-------------

$1,325.5B Total needed from new Health Care tax to provide everything we get today

$10,747.0B Total Personal Income

12.7% Tax on income needed to provide all current health care services

That would be $571/month for the average worker for full medical and dental coverage, plus in home care, nursing home care and any needed medical equipment and prescriptions. If he's already receiving some coverage from work, the law could be written to require the payment continue or that the money be paid directly to the employee. Based on my personal experience, this would mean the new program would result in higher income for the worker (my employer share was considerably above $571/month, so the worker would get the difference) or the worker would see reduced copays or greater coverage.

This could continue after retirement and become the "medicare suppliment" for all Americans.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors