Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

Message 21 of 30

@alferdpacker wrote:

Maryland State House Trust votes to remove Taney statue - Baltimore Sun

So they aren't gonna claim him anymore -?

State Senator

Attorney General of the US under President Andrew Jackson

Secretary of the Treasury under same

(Chief) Justice in the Supreme Court of the United States, course it took him a while to get into the appointment

And just a few years later after the Dred Scott decision, Lincoln wondered if he should send all the slaves back to Africa after he freed them. 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 30

@rker321 wrote:

So, what should we do with all the statures, pictures, memorabilia books on the civil War," 
Any ideas?

In Maryland, you can add them to this collection.  The Maryland Historical Society does a fabulous job presenting the complexities of history.   All sides. 

http://www.mdhs.org/maryland%E2%80%99s-largest-civil-war-exhibit-opens-april-16th

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 30

So, what should we do with all the statures, pictures, memorabilia books on the civil War," 
Any ideas?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 30

Statues were symbols long before they 'became' part of a history curriculum.  The symbols put in place by a political or religious entity were almost always destroyed when someone or something replaced them.  Scorch the earth and salt the ground.  Goes back a long way, so it does.  Before written history, even. 

Those IN power erase all that preceded their ascendence TO power....IF they can.   Why keep reminders around. Just encourages grudgeholders who then become troublemakers.  So...along with getting rid of reminders, entire populations were slaughtered to eliminate those who might hold a grudge....especially the children who might remember they once had a mom and dad.  Genocide is good administration, donchasee? 

Entire cities were totally demolished and the debris built over to prevent recurrence of a pesky nuisance. 'Symbols', like 'words', are troublesome things. Now, it should come as no surprise that could happen anywhere even now........in Iraq, the Saddam Hussein statue came down....ISUS regularly destroys all visible evidence of a previous culture, regardless of historic value.

It's just more of the same....even IF in this case there might be 'good' reason to get rid of that stuff. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 30

@NerdyMom wrote:

To me, removal isn't erasing history.  It would be fine with me to relocate it to a museum, and there are many little museums in Maryland that have Civil War history.  And his Dred Scot decision is one of the causes of the war.  

Speaking as a lawyer, the Dred Scot decision was one of the most vile in our history. 

"In the opinion of the court, the legislation and histories of the times, and the language used in the Declaration of Independence, show, that neither the class of persons who had been imported as slaves, nor their descendants, whether they had become free or not, were then acknowledged as a part of the people, nor intended to be included in the general words used in that memorable instrument."

"They had for more than a century before been regarded as beings of an inferior order, and altogether unfit to associate with the white race, either in social or political relations; and so far inferior, that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect; and that the negro might justly and lawfully be reduced to slavery for his benefit."

I used to work next to the State House.   I would walk by that statue every day. I'd watch as hundreds of school children passed by on their field trips.   One third of our state population is black.   I always wondered what lessons those kids (of all backgrounds) were learning as they passed that man's statue, placed prominently before a State House entrance, to be glorified.   It's not its presence that bothers me so much as its glorification.   

I am in agreement.   The Statues, even the one of this guy need to be "remembered" but only when it is part of an educational part of American History.    Some people want to say that they support these statues, but do they want to include the entire history behind it.    If not, they are advocating for the whitewashing of US history, not memoralizing a time in history.    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 30

@thestermsmd wrote:

Then why don't we have....  Statues of the Bristish who stood against  America becoming an independent nation?  What about Benedict Arnold?  We backed the Shah of Iran, do we give him a statue?  I see no placques  to those who believed that women shouldn't be allowed to vote? What about those who felt  "Indentured Servitude" of Europeans  was ok?  Give them a place on the National Mall?  Did you feel  bad  when the Monument to Saddam Hussein was brought down in Iraq, because they would be losing a part of their history.  What other Nation honor those who fought  against them  (and lost) as though they were national heros?  

LOL   Iraq  is not my country, what should I worry what happens there.
I am poining out the danger of rejecting history. You want to remove those statue, what would you do with them?

Destroyed them? as is they didn't exist.  Disregard the fact that many died in that war, both from the North and the South?

They had different philosophies, and there was a war  and the South lost. will you now erase that war out of our history books and museums.?

So, what would you do with them?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 30

To me, removal isn't erasing history.  It would be fine with me to relocate it to a museum, and there are many little museums in Maryland that have Civil War history.  And his Dred Scot decision is one of the causes of the war.  

Speaking as a lawyer, the Dred Scot decision was one of the most vile in our history. 

"In the opinion of the court, the legislation and histories of the times, and the language used in the Declaration of Independence, show, that neither the class of persons who had been imported as slaves, nor their descendants, whether they had become free or not, were then acknowledged as a part of the people, nor intended to be included in the general words used in that memorable instrument."

"They had for more than a century before been regarded as beings of an inferior order, and altogether unfit to associate with the white race, either in social or political relations; and so far inferior, that they had no rights which the white man was bound to respect; and that the negro might justly and lawfully be reduced to slavery for his benefit."

I used to work next to the State House.   I would walk by that statue every day. I'd watch as hundreds of school children passed by on their field trips.   One third of our state population is black.   I always wondered what lessons those kids (of all backgrounds) were learning as they passed that man's statue, placed prominently before a State House entrance, to be glorified.   It's not its presence that bothers me so much as its glorification.   

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 30

Then why don't we have....  Statues of the Bristish who stood against  America becoming an independent nation?  What about Benedict Arnold?  We backed the Shah of Iran, do we give him a statue?  I see no placques  to those who believed that women shouldn't be allowed to vote? What about those who felt  "Indentured Servitude" of Europeans  was ok?  Give them a place on the National Mall?  Did you feel  bad  when the Monument to Saddam Hussein was brought down in Iraq, because they would be losing a part of their history.  What other Nation honor those who fought  against them  (and lost) as though they were national heros?  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 30

Well, I really don't agree with that. forget for a moment what happened last week. and simply look at this from the prospective of history.

We have to own a past, in order to be able to forge a better future.

Destroying the history of our past, will not make us better, and will not enable us to learn those lessons in order not to repeat the same errors.
Again, Rober E Lee happened, he fought in the Civil war and so many Americans that believe that the southern way of life was the right way.

The future showed them that they were not correct, and we saw eventually that we rose to the occasion and grew and rejected slavery and all of the things that were done.

Now, we have gone the other way. We don't want to accept our history, that is also an extremist view.  Those men unfortunately are a reminder of who we were.
If that type of rejection was the correct way. Then the Japanese would have never forgiven us for Hiroshima and Nagasaki
In South Africa, reconciliation would have never happened.
The Catholics would have simply ceased to exist because how can anyone be a follower of a religion that embraced the Inquisition.
We did win in Germany, the world showed that Hittler should not be accepted. and Germany has grown and embrace their guilt and mover forward.
But now we are showing that we can't do that?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

Message 30 of 30
Kudos
Views