Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7! Get the information you need from AARP’s Medicare resource center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

Message 11 of 30

@Richva wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

This is not about history, it is about who you build monuments to honor. If your only claim to fame is that you fought for the right to own people, there is a case to be made that your monument should be removed.  If it is history you want, buy the thing and put it in your backyard. 

What thing?  what thing should I put in  my backyard? you do have to make yourself clear.  I happen to respect history, whether that history is good or bad, but I geess that today is becoming politically incorrect.

I was talking about the monument(s) to Confederate leaders. If you like them, I bet you could buy one cheap. 

You are not talking about history. If we erected statues to remember history then Timothy McVey and the 9/11 attackers would have statues. We erect statues to honor accomplishments.  The Confederate leaders were memorialized because of their accomplishments in supporting the Confederacy. 

I have this vision of a black child looking at a statue and  asking his parent; "What did that man do to get a statue?"   "He fought a war to keep us in slavery".  

And why didn't you guys thought about that 100 years ago or even 50 years ago, why now?
All of a sudden you are realizing that there is so much racism in this country that it has become a very serious problem"

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 30

@rker321 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

This is not about history, it is about who you build monuments to honor. If your only claim to fame is that you fought for the right to own people, there is a case to be made that your monument should be removed.  If it is history you want, buy the thing and put it in your backyard. 

What thing?  what thing should I put in  my backyard? you do have to make yourself clear.  I happen to respect history, whether that history is good or bad, but I geess that today is becoming politically incorrect.

I was talking about the monument(s) to Confederate leaders. If you like them, I bet you could buy one cheap. 

You are not talking about history. If we erected statues to remember history then Timothy McVey and the 9/11 attackers would have statues. We erect statues to honor accomplishments.  The Confederate leaders were memorialized because of their accomplishments in supporting the Confederacy. 

I have this vision of a black child looking at a statue and  asking his parent; "What did that man do to get a statue?"   "He fought a war to keep us in slavery".  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 30

@Richva wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 30

How about incorporating the Black history into your American history wouldn't that be fair also?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 30

@Richva wrote:

Dred Scott is only one case out of a lot of others and he is known for this because he gave the majority opinion. 

He was also at one time,

• Attorney General,
  • Secretary of the Treasury and
  • then (chief) Justice of the Supreme Court (almost 30 years).

From my readings of his history (true or false?) he freed the slaves he inherited from his family and even gave pensions to the older ones.  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/14442c.htm

He was more akin to a Libertarian - believing in individual rights, states rights over any concentration of Federal power.  There is also a bust of him in the SCOTUS along side the other Chief Justices; several streets , a ship (perhaps former) did bear his name.

Steven Spielberg's gripping film "Amistad," about an infamous slave-ship mutiny, know that the U.S. Supreme Court released the African captives in 1841 even though they had been charged with murder.  Chief Justice Taney voted to free the Amistad captives.http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-02-13/news/1998044039_1_amistad-slavery-dred-scott

There were several slavery related cases which came in front of the Taney Supreme Court period (1836 - 1864) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Supreme_Court_cases_by_the_Taney_Court

I did not look up how he voted on each one.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 30

@GailL1 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Maryland State House Trust votes to remove Taney statue - Baltimore Sun

So they aren't gonna claim him anymore -?

State Senator

Attorney General of the US under President Andrew Jackson

Secretary of the Treasury under same

(Chief) Justice in the Supreme Court of the United States, course it took him a while to get into the appointment

And just a few years later after the Dred Scott decision, Lincoln wondered if he should send all the slaves back to Africa after he freed them. 

Maryland still plans to claim him - but are going to remove his statue because his authorship of the the Dred Scott Decision - for over a century now - is widely considered to be worse than terrible.

The Fourteenth Amendment giving slaves full citizenship effectively made the Dred Scott decision null and void.

Constitutional Amendments always override and invalidate SCOTUS decisions where there is conflict - until and unless the amendment is repealed...

Law schools all over the nation say it's terrible - and they're absolutely correct.

BTW - History records the fact that Lincoln considered assisting slaves -  who wanted to go back - but after the Emancipation Proclamation that became moot - and was no longer considered...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 30

@rker321 wrote:

Does anyone here see how all of this is really turning out?

This is your history, own it. deal with it. acknowledge it. 
Don't try to bury it in a museum that only some will go and see.
Teach in your history books the history of  America, The Amercia that existed, the American that was, With all of those people that did horrible things and engaged in slavery. (by the way, slavery was ok in the American Continent)

Deal with your history as a whole ,just not the white American history deal with the Black American history, incorporate those two, and see it as one.
If you can't do that, you will never be able to be one.You will always be white Americans and Black (African) americans,, Which by the way, I considere that name quite silly.  People born in this country are Americans, Yes or no?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 30

@rker321 wrote:

So, what should we do with all the statures, pictures, memorabilia books on the civil War," 
Any ideas?

From comments many would probably want to have a giant bonfire like Germany in 1933. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 30

Republicans are in a frenzy to justify their huge base among Nazis, bigots, anti-Semites and White Supremacists who now make up a majority of the GOP vote.

As a result of this political need, GOPers are trying to pretend Lincoln was a racist who wanted to DEPORT slaves to Africa, which is a flat-out LIE. He toyed with the notion of assisting those freed slaves who desired to immigrate to Liberia, but dropped even that after he signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

We have problems with racism in this country because we allowed the defeated South to pretend they had a Nobel Cause that had to be recognized and lionized instead of denouncing their insurrection for what it was - a failed attempt to protect the human property of a handful of incredibly rich plantation owners at the untold expense of everyone else in the Confederacy and the considerable expense of those in the Union.

We're 150 years late, but FINALLY we've been shaken awake to the real cost of letting racist bigots preserve a group of traitorous, murderous men as "american heros". Bobby Lee entered Pennsylvania not to defeat the North, but to kill or capture and return to slavery every black American his forces encountered. THAT is how his leadership of the Army of Virginia needs to be taught in every course in American History in every school in the Nation he tried to destroy.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 30

Does anyone here see how all of this is really turning out?

This is your history, own it. deal with it. acknowledge it. 
Don't try to bury it in a museum that only some will go and see.
Teach in your history books the history of  America, The Amercia that existed, the American that was, With all of those people that did horrible things and engaged in slavery. (by the way, slavery was ok in the American Continent)

Deal with your history as a whole ,just not the white American history deal with the Black American history, incorporate those two, and see it as one.
If you can't do that, you will never be able to be one.You will always be white Americans and Black (African) americans,, Which by the way, I considere that name quite silly.  People born in this country are Americans, Yes or no?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22