Reply
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
363
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

363 Views
Message 1 of 30

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

So, what should we do with all the statures, pictures, memorabilia books on the civil War," 
Any ideas?



From comments many would probably want to have a giant bonfire like Germany in 1933. 



Then again, maybe its finally the logical end to the civil war.

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
363
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
384
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

384 Views
Message 2 of 30

@gruffstuff wrote:

From comments many would probably want to have a giant bonfire like Germany in 1933. 

 

Go to Germany and find a statue of a Nazi, or go to Mosul and try to erect a statue glorifying ISIS soldiers. 

 

See what happens.


Comparing apples to oranges....other countries have different laws.  You have an accident in Germany and the police will take a blood sample before the medics can attend you.  No warrant required.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
384
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
400
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

400 Views
Message 3 of 30

From comments many would probably want to have a giant bonfire like Germany in 1933. 

 

Go to Germany and find a statue of a Nazi, or go to Mosul and try to erect a statue glorifying ISIS soldiers. 

 

See what happens.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
400
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
4
Kudos
402
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

402 Views
Message 4 of 30

So, what would you do with them?

 

Why have them in front of the State House, or a Court House, or a School House. Why have them dispersed around the national capital? Why spend public money on them at all?

 

Where did they come from? Why was is decided to put them there?

 

Do these statues remember history or do they rewrite history?

Report Inappropriate Content
4
Kudos
402
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
412
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

412 Views
Message 5 of 30

I have to confess, that I have no understanding about any of this. In my mind, I cannot even conceive what has happened here. I have to think about my country of birth and create a comparison, and ask the question as to why it didn't happen there. The racism that still exists in the US is just too amazing for me to understand.
I will recount now at the precise moment that I understood racism.
I was in college, in a US History class and reading about George Washington. so normally I compared Washington with Antonio Maceo the general that fought in our Independence war against Spain.
And all of a suddenit hit me. This man was an ex slave, he was a black man. My consternation as to the fact that I for the first time realized that Antonio Maceo was a black man was indescribable.
I had known this all my life, all through school. through our Holidays, through the fact that we revered this man as our hero. and yet, this man was a black man?

how could that be? How come I never noticed until now?

And then i had to face the fact, that I have learned about the difference, I now knew the difference between  black and while. 

 

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
412
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
422
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

422 Views
Message 6 of 30

Gone.   By a Republican governor, no less.

 

"While we cannot hide from our history — nor should we — the time has come to make clear the difference between properly acknowledging our past and glorifying the darkest chapters of our history," Hogan said this week.

"With that in mind, I believe removing the Justice Roger B. Taney statue from the State House grounds is the right thing to do, and we will ask the State House Trust to take that action immediately,” he added.

 

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/347055-maryland-officials-remove-statue-of-dred-scott-ju...

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
422
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
462
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

462 Views
Message 7 of 30

@GailL1 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

How about incorporating the Black history into your American history wouldn't that be fair also?


I did - " Amistad "  also gave the link


That was because they were in lawful possession of a ship outside of the United States' jurisdiction and had they not been tricked by the surviving members of the crew of the former slave ship, they would have sailed to Africa - not the USA.

 

They never were legally slaves, and therefore were free.

 

What acts they committed - on the high seas - on a ship not of US ownership was entirely moot. 

 

The legal considerations there were not at all similar to the legal considerations in the Dred Scott case.

The fact that he wrote the Dred Scott decision has forever tainted his reputation.

 

He should have known better - but he didn't - did he?

 

It's unfortunate he did not live to learn of the defeat of the confederacy...

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
462
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
472
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

472 Views
Message 8 of 30

@Roxanna35 wrote:

How about incorporating the Black history into your American history wouldn't that be fair also?


I did - " Amistad "  also gave the link


* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
472
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
489
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

489 Views
Message 9 of 30

@GailL1 wrote:

I agree that the Dred Scott decision was a bad one - probably one of the worse, if not the worse.

However just from the words of this part of Lincoln's Peoria speech, acknowledging the times and what was happening, I can see how the decision came about in those times - there was only about (3) years in between..

 

@you wrote:

BTW - History records the fact that Lincoln considered assisting slaves -  who wanted to go back - but after the Emancipation Proclamation that became moot - and was no longer considered...

____________________________________

 

I am trying to use reputable sources for my information -

 

The NPR article which I quoted in another thread did not go into "wanted" -

It was a grand speech and sounded very honest.

Here is this part of the Lincoln Peoria speechSmiley Sad whole speech located at the link below)

https://www.nps.gov/liho/learn/historyculture/peoriaspeech.htm

 

Lincoln Peoria speech 10/16/1854

Before proceeding, let me say I think I have no prejudice against the Southern people. They are just what we would be in their situation. If slavery did not now exist amongst them, they would not introduce it. If it did now exist amongst us, we should not instantly give it up. This I believe of the masses north and south. Doubtless there are individuals, on both sides, who would not hold slaves under any circumstances; and others who would gladly introduce slavery anew, if it were out of existence. We know that some southern men do free their slaves, go north, and become tip-top abolitionists; while some northern ones go south, and become most cruel slave-masters.

When southern people tell us they are no more responsible for the origin of slavery, than we; I acknowledge the fact. When it is said that the institution exists; and that it is very difficult to get rid of it, in any satisfactory way, I can understand and appreciate the saying. I surely will not blame them for not doing what I should not know how to do myself. If all earthly power were given me, I should not know what to do, as to the existing institution. My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia,---to their own native land. But a moment's reflection would convince me, that whatever of high hope, (as I think there is) there may be in this, in the long run, its sudden execution is impossible. If they were all landed there in a day, they would all perish in the next ten days; and there are not surplus shipping and surplus money enough in the world to carry them there in many times ten days. What then? Free them all, and keep them among us as underlings? Is it quite certain that this betters their condition? I think I would not hold one in slavery, at any rate; yet the point is not clear enough for me to denounce people upon. What next? Free them, and make them politically and socially, our equals? My own feelings will not admit of this; and if mine would, we well know that those of the great mass of white people will not. Whether this feeling accords with justice and sound judgment, is not the sole question, if indeed, it is any part of it. A universal feeling, whether well or ill-founded, can not be safely disregarded. We can not, then, make them equals. It does seem to me that systems of gradual emancipation might be adopted; but for their tardiness in this, I will not undertake to judge our brethren of the south

 

 

 

 

The verdict of history is unmistakably clear.

 

No amount of apologetics for the institution of slavery, the confederacy, and it's modern day apologists will ever manage to convince me that slavers, confederates, their supporters and modern day apologists were/are not absolutely dead wrong.

 

Stupid is as confederates did.

Wrong remains wrong.

 

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
489
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
3
Kudos
495
Views

Re: MARYLAND TO REMOVE TANEY STATUE.

495 Views
Message 10 of 30

I agree that the Dred Scott decision was a bad one - probably one of the worse, if not the worse.

However just from the words of this part of Lincoln's Peoria speech, acknowledging the times and what was happening, I can see how the decision came about in those times - there was only about (3) years in between..

 

You wrote:

BTW - History records the fact that Lincoln considered assisting slaves -  who wanted to go back - but after the Emancipation Proclamation that became moot - and was no longer considered...

____________________________________

 

I am trying to use reputable sources for my information -

 

The NPR article which I quoted in another thread did not go into "wanted" -

It was a grand speech and sounded very honest.

Here is this part of the Lincoln Peoria speechSmiley Sad whole speech located at the link below)

https://www.nps.gov/liho/learn/historyculture/peoriaspeech.htm

 

Lincoln Peoria speech 10/16/1854

Before proceeding, let me say I think I have no prejudice against the Southern people. They are just what we would be in their situation. If slavery did not now exist amongst them, they would not introduce it. If it did now exist amongst us, we should not instantly give it up. This I believe of the masses north and south. Doubtless there are individuals, on both sides, who would not hold slaves under any circumstances; and others who would gladly introduce slavery anew, if it were out of existence. We know that some southern men do free their slaves, go north, and become tip-top abolitionists; while some northern ones go south, and become most cruel slave-masters.

When southern people tell us they are no more responsible for the origin of slavery, than we; I acknowledge the fact. When it is said that the institution exists; and that it is very difficult to get rid of it, in any satisfactory way, I can understand and appreciate the saying. I surely will not blame them for not doing what I should not know how to do myself. If all earthly power were given me, I should not know what to do, as to the existing institution. My first impulse would be to free all the slaves, and send them to Liberia,---to their own native land. But a moment's reflection would convince me, that whatever of high hope, (as I think there is) there may be in this, in the long run, its sudden execution is impossible. If they were all landed there in a day, they would all perish in the next ten days; and there are not surplus shipping and surplus money enough in the world to carry them there in many times ten days. What then? Free them all, and keep them among us as underlings? Is it quite certain that this betters their condition? I think I would not hold one in slavery, at any rate; yet the point is not clear enough for me to denounce people upon. What next? Free them, and make them politically and socially, our equals? My own feelings will not admit of this; and if mine would, we well know that those of the great mass of white people will not. Whether this feeling accords with justice and sound judgment, is not the sole question, if indeed, it is any part of it. A universal feeling, whether well or ill-founded, can not be safely disregarded. We can not, then, make them equals. It does seem to me that systems of gradual emancipation might be adopted; but for their tardiness in this, I will not undertake to judge our brethren of the south

 

 

 

 

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
3
Kudos
495
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Claim your 1,000 Welcome bonus points!

Get Started with AARP Rewards.

Top Authors