Reply
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
258
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

258 Views
Message 11 of 30


@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

So, it seems that I am again pretty clear about what is going to happen in this trial and yes, I am patting my back.

Now everyone is questioning as to why this judge didn't sequester this jury. and the amount of disparaging things that he said to the prosecutors.
and the reason that the defense attorneys didn't bother to call one witness.
Gee what is that we are seeing here/

either a hung jury or a not guilty  veredict.  

Hoping that the DC trial the judge is more capable of dealing with a trial of this nature.

and if any of this happens, Can anyone see Trump and his tweets? 


I hope you are wrong, but we’ll see. Yes, the judge didn’t seem prepared for this at all. Or he’s just a little....off. 


The judge is a Reagan appointee. That answers a lot of questions.

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
258
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
257
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

257 Views
Message 12 of 30

@Roxanna35 wrote:

So, it seems that I am again pretty clear about what is going to happen in this trial and yes, I am patting my back.

Now everyone is questioning as to why this judge didn't sequester this jury. and the amount of disparaging things that he said to the prosecutors.
and the reason that the defense attorneys didn't bother to call one witness.
Gee what is that we are seeing here/

either a hung jury or a not guilty  veredict.  

Hoping that the DC trial the judge is more capable of dealing with a trial of this nature.

and if any of this happens, Can anyone see Trump and his tweets? 


I hope you are wrong, but we’ll see. Yes, the judge didn’t seem prepared for this at all. Or he’s just a little....off. 

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
257
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
247
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

247 Views
Message 13 of 30

So, it seems that I am again pretty clear about what is going to happen in this trial and yes, I am patting my back.

Now everyone is questioning as to why this judge didn't sequester this jury. and the amount of disparaging things that he said to the prosecutors.
and the reason that the defense attorneys didn't bother to call one witness.
Gee what is that we are seeing here/

either a hung jury or a not guilty  veredict.  

Hoping that the DC trial the judge is more capable of dealing with a trial of this nature.

and if any of this happens, Can anyone see Trump and his tweets? 

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
247
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
263
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

263 Views
Message 14 of 30

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

Doesn't matter. Trump will pardon Manafort as soon as the last polling place closes in November.

 

 


So if that happens, will the GOP just continue to back and do nothing?


Sure, because win or lose, blue wave or not, his pardoning of Manafort won't be an issue to use on the campaign trail, because the election will be over. He'll have another year or so to spin doing it before his own reelection bid. And if a pardon buys Manafort's loyalty, Trump won't let him spend one minute longer in jail than necessary.

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
263
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
262
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

262 Views
Message 15 of 30

@BigLib wrote:

Doesn't matter. Trump will pardon Manafort as soon as the last polling place closes in November.

 

 


So if that happens, will the GOP just continue to back and do nothing?

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
262
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
254
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

254 Views
Message 16 of 30

Doesn't matter. Trump will pardon Manafort as soon as the last polling place closes in November.

 

 

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
254
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
256
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

256 Views
Message 17 of 30

I just meant that the 5th amendment prevents double jeopardy.  "...nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb...."

 

With very few exceptions, the state can't try someone twice for the same crime.   So generally speaking, the prosecution can't retry someone once a verdict has been reached.  Guilty or not guilty.   No matter how badly the judge screwed up.    

 

The defendant can always appeal.  And this appeal can result in a retrial. 

 

 

Hung juries are different.   Those charges can be retried.   

 

The state and the feds can separately bring charges related to the same acts. 

 

Defendants can be sued civilly for the same acts.  

 

 

 

 

 

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
256
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
241
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

241 Views
Message 18 of 30

@alferdpacker wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I agree it’s been a weird trial, and this judge is.....interesting. I could see a hung jury on several counts.  But anything he’s actually acquitted of can’t be appealed by the prosecution because of double jeopardy. 

 

Well see what happens. 

 

And there is Manafort’s next trial in DC. 9/17.  This Virginia case had about 400 pieces of evidence. The DC trial potentially has up to 1,000.

 


Please clarify, why  the case cannot be appealed because of double jeopardy?  please explain?


A verdict can successfully be appealed - if new incriminating evidence that was not previously presented is found - an appeal reverses - as faulty - a court's decision to suppress a critical piece of incriminating evidence - or a critical defense witnesses testimony is  found to be perjured testimony - there are other "technicalities" that could result in a verdict being reversed upon appeal...


I read her post incorrectly,  I thought that she had said that the verdict couldn't be appealed and  what she actually wrote was the word acquitted. not appealed   that is what I misunderstood.

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
241
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
247
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

247 Views
Message 19 of 30

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I agree it’s been a weird trial, and this judge is.....interesting. I could see a hung jury on several counts.  But anything he’s actually acquitted of can’t be appealed by the prosecution because of double jeopardy. 

 

Well see what happens. 

 

And there is Manafort’s next trial in DC. 9/17.  This Virginia case had about 400 pieces of evidence. The DC trial potentially has up to 1,000.

 


Please clarify, why  the case cannot be appealed because of double jeopardy?  please explain?


A verdict can successfully be appealed - if new incriminating evidence that was not previously presented is found - an appeal reverses - as faulty - a court's decision to suppress a critical piece of incriminating evidence - or a critical defense witnesses testimony is  found to be perjured testimony - there are other "technicalities" that could result in a verdict being invalidated upon appeal...

44>dolt45
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
247
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
250
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

250 Views
Message 20 of 30

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I agree it’s been a weird trial, and this judge is.....interesting. I could see a hung jury on several counts.  But anything he’s actually acquitted of can’t be appealed by the prosecution because of double jeopardy. 

 

Well see what happens. 

 

And there is Manafort’s next trial in DC. 9/17.  This Virginia case had about 400 pieces of evidence. The DC trial potentially has up to 1,000.

 


Please clarify, why  the case cannot be appealed because of double jeopardy?  please explain?

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
250
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors