Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MANNIFORD VEREDUCT WILL BE...................................

Message 11 of 30

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

So, it seems that I am again pretty clear about what is going to happen in this trial and yes, I am patting my back.

Now everyone is questioning as to why this judge didn't sequester this jury. and the amount of disparaging things that he said to the prosecutors.
and the reason that the defense attorneys didn't bother to call one witness.
Gee what is that we are seeing here/

either a hung jury or a not guilty  veredict.  

Hoping that the DC trial the judge is more capable of dealing with a trial of this nature.

and if any of this happens, Can anyone see Trump and his tweets? 

I hope you are wrong, but we’ll see. Yes, the judge didn’t seem prepared for this at all. Or he’s just a little....off. 

The judge is a Reagan appointee. That answers a lot of questions.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 30

@Roxanna35 wrote:

So, it seems that I am again pretty clear about what is going to happen in this trial and yes, I am patting my back.

Now everyone is questioning as to why this judge didn't sequester this jury. and the amount of disparaging things that he said to the prosecutors.

Hoping that the DC trial the judge is more capable of dealing with a trial of this nature.

I hope you are wrong, but we’ll see. Yes, the judge didn’t seem prepared for this at all. Or he’s just a little....off. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 30

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 30

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

Doesn't matter. Trump will pardon Manafort as soon as the last polling place closes in November.

So if that happens, will the GOP just continue to back and do nothing?

Sure, because win or lose, blue wave or not, his pardoning of Manafort won't be an issue to use on the campaign trail, because the election will be over. He'll have another year or so to spin doing it before his own reelection bid. And if a pardon buys Manafort's loyalty, Trump won't let him spend one minute longer in jail than necessary.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (13 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 30

@BigLib wrote:

Doesn't matter. Trump will pardon Manafort as soon as the last polling place closes in November.

So if that happens, will the GOP just continue to back and do nothing?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 30

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 30

I just meant that the 5th amendment prevents double jeopardy.  "...nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb...."

With very few exceptions, the state can't try someone twice for the same crime.   So generally speaking, the prosecution can't retry someone once a verdict has been reached.  Guilty or not guilty.   No matter how badly the judge screwed up.    

The defendant can always appeal.  And this appeal can result in a retrial. 

Hung juries are different.   Those charges can be retried.   

The state and the feds can separately bring charges related to the same acts. 

Defendants can be sued civilly for the same acts.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 30

@alferdpacker wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I agree it’s been a weird trial, and this judge is.....interesting. I could see a hung jury on several counts.  But anything he’s actually acquitted of can’t be appealed by the prosecution because of double jeopardy. 

Well see what happens. 

And there is Manafort’s next trial in DC. 9/17.  This Virginia case had about 400 pieces of evidence. The DC trial potentially has up to 1,000.

Please clarify, why  the case cannot be appealed because of double jeopardy?  please explain?

A verdict can successfully be appealed - if new incriminating evidence that was not previously presented is found - an appeal reverses - as faulty - a court's decision to suppress a critical piece of incriminating evidence - or a critical defense witnesses testimony is  found to be perjured testimony - there are other "technicalities" that could result in a verdict being reversed upon appeal...

I read her post incorrectly,  I thought that she had said that the verdict couldn't be appealed and  what she actually wrote was the word acquitted. not appealed   that is what I misunderstood.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 30

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

I agree it’s been a weird trial, and this judge is.....interesting. I could see a hung jury on several counts.  But anything he’s actually acquitted of can’t be appealed by the prosecution because of double jeopardy. 

Well see what happens. 

And there is Manafort’s next trial in DC. 9/17.  This Virginia case had about 400 pieces of evidence. The DC trial potentially has up to 1,000.

Please clarify, why  the case cannot be appealed because of double jeopardy?  please explain?

A verdict can successfully be appealed - if new incriminating evidence that was not previously presented is found - an appeal reverses - as faulty - a court's decision to suppress a critical piece of incriminating evidence - or a critical defense witnesses testimony is  found to be perjured testimony - there are other "technicalities" that could result in a verdict being invalidated upon appeal...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 30

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Well see what happens. 

no name
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors