Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: MANAFORT GUILTY!

Message 1 of 26

Slight clarification on New York's double-jeopardy statute.

It ONLY applies to the SAME 18 charges Cohen was tried for in Federal Court.

But they could go after him for related ones that were NOT part of his Federal case.

Take federal wire transfer and banking laws, which Cohen broke when he lied about the reason he got a loan to pay off one of the women and transferred her $130,000.

That would also be illegal in New York, which outlaws both bank and wire fraud.

New York prosecutors could go after Cohen for bank fraud even if Trump pardons him after the conviction for federal wire fraud charges.

The big difference would be that Cohen would have no White House protection.

Even if Der Trumper pulls a Jerry Ford and pardons Cohen for EVERYTHING, neither Cohen nor Der Trumper are "home free".

Cohen would lose all his protection under the 5th Amendment (he can't be prosecuted for criminal activity, so nothing he's forced to divulge is protected by the 5th). New York could then force his testamony on all the crimes involving Trump they could identify and jail him for contempt if he refused to answer.

lil' donny is indeed in deep doodoo.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 26

@afisher wrote:

Mocking people and downplaying this conviction by the ignoblers....how typical.      What many people clearly heard was that Mannifort used his position in the Trump Campaign to sell his closeness to Donald for cash.     I suppose that is okay with ignoblers, as long as there is no direct link to kinky sex.    Oh wait, that part of Donald's past also won in court yesterday....do the ignoblers remember their defiant remarks about Steele?   A case against his dossier was thrown out court yesterday.    

I saw nothing in his conviction dealing with the President nor kinky sex. So, what are you ignobeling about??

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 26

Mocking people and downplaying this conviction by the ignoblers....how typical.      What many people clearly heard was that Mannifort used his position in the Trump Campaign to sell his closeness to Donald for cash.     I suppose that is okay with ignoblers, as long as there is no direct link to kinky sex.    Oh wait, that part of Donald's past also won in court yesterday....do the ignoblers remember their defiant remarks about Steele?   A case against his dossier was thrown out court yesterday.    

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 26

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

How was Dillinger connected to Capone? Another strange comment.

Rk  don't worry about Manniford, he is going to be pardoned by his buddy in the  White House, I bet he doesn't spend a day in jail.

Not only am I not worried about Manniford - I don't even know who he is.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 26

There is a key point being overlooked here. The charges against Manafort have absolutely no connection with the President or his campaign - and even more important - Russian collusion.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 26

@rk9152 wrote:

Rk  don't worry about Manniford, he is going to be pardoned by his buddy in the  White House, I bet he doesn't spend a day in jail.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 26

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
All we are missing is the syphilis that Capone died of while in prison..........@tarheel.....with all the charges mentioned, why would you be concerned with syphilis?

Why would your darling trump?

Hey, Soosie - is the President really your darling or is that just more of the childishness that is so common here?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 26

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Manafort verdict:

• 5 counts tax fraud: Guilty
  • 2 counts bank fraud: Guilty
  • 1 count failure to disclose foreign bank account: Guilty
  • 10 counts: Jury unable to reach consensus

Classic charges of which Al Capone was convicted and sentenced.

I had never thought of comparing Manaford to Capone.  I suppose there is a certain similarity.  Would that make Trump Dillinger? 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 26

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I had never thought of comparing Manaford to Capone.  I suppose there is a certain similarity.  Would that make Trump Dillinger? 

Not comparing him to anyone, just commenting that when all else fails it's a sure fire charge.  Many of the liberals here could probably be sent up on the same charge if their returns were scrutinized close enough.  Especially with their attempted ability to take something and turn it into some nefarious.

I entirely doubt that. And certainly not my tax returns.  But since the charges seem so innocuous to you, perhaps it is more likely that YOU could be convicted of such crimes. Or maybe some of your close associates?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 26

Three year old granddaughter's current favorite word, "Actually"......Capone did not die in prison.

Capone was set free on Nov. 16, 1939, having served just over seven and a half years. Physically and mentally unfit to return to mob life, he returned to his home in Palm Island, Fla., where he lived out the rest of his life in quiet. His body and mind deteriorated due to a stroke and syphilis, and he died of pneumonia on Jan. 25, 1947.

The Capone connection:  Capone’s successful conviction set a precedent for future law enforcement officials. Tax evasion would become a popular way to convict participants in organized crime if more substantial evidence was not available.

http://www.findingdulcinea.com/news/on-this-day/September-October-08/On-this-Day--Al-Capone-Is-Convi...

Manafort's and Cohen's crimes encompass a much larger scope of offences than Capone's and this precedent has evolved accordingly.  Their punishments will be more harsh but like Capone, they will be forever unfit to return to mob life.  I will predict the same for dt, to include physically and mentally unfit.....

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors